How to remove Donald Trump ransomware (Virus Removal Guide)
“This is the Donald Trump ransomware” is a computer virus that encrypts files on your computer and appends the .encrypted extension to the files that match certain file extensions.
The Donald Trump virus is ransomware that is currently in development and there is a change that the ransomware will never be distributed. The Donald Trump ransomware contains functions to encrypt files using AES encryption; However, at this current time the ransomware cannot actually encrypt anything.
Instead of using encryption in its current form the Donald Trump virus will look for files in the encrypt folder and base64 encode the file names. The ransomware will then and then append the .encrypted extension to the files that match certain file extensions.
File extensions targeted by Donald Trump are:
.zip, .mp3, .7z, .rar, .wma, .avi, .wmv, .csv, .tax, .sidn, .itl, .mdbackup, .menu, .icarus, .litemod, .sav, .lvl, .raw, .flv, .m3u, .xxx, .pak, .jpg, .png, .docx, .doc, .ppt, .odt, .csv, .jpeg, .psd, .rtf, .cfg, Minecraft, alts.json, .wolfram, .dat, .dat_mcr, .mca, .Ink, .pub, .pptx, .php, .html, .yml, .sk, .txt, .mp4, .vb, .swf, .ico, .xcf, bukkit.jar, .log, .sln, .ini, .dll, .xml, .tex, .assets, .resource, .java, .js, .css, .gif,
In addition, the Donald Trump ransomware will leave various note files (.txt, .html) in every folder it encrypts files in, change the background of Windows Desktop, and display a lock-screen that restricts access to the infected computer. The note files, desktop background, and lock-screen contain a ransom note that explains what happened to the files and how to pay a ransom in order to acquire a key to decode the compromised files. The lock-screen contains an image of Donald Trump and says STATUS: Files locked over the image. There is also a list of encrypted files, a HWID code, and a button that says Unlock files. The Unlock files button will currently unlock the name of encrypted files. The ransomware screen also says “THIS IS THE DONALD TRUMP RANSOMWARE” on the menu.
The Donald Trump virus is currently being developed so there is no distribution method detected. However, ransomware like this is usually distributed via malicious spam email attachments, exploit kits, and instant message spam. Ransomware usually employs social engineering in order to trick unsuspecting victims into downloading a file under the guise that it is something it is not. Once the file is manually executed by the user ransomware will begin to advance on the computer system and carry through it’s various functions.
Since it is coming upon the election, we suggest to be careful of political emails that you are not familiar with. It could be a trap designed to phish your information or spread malware across your computer.
- Aliases: Donald Trump virus, Donald Trump ransomware
How to remove Donald Trump ransomware
This Donald Trump virus removal guide contains instructions to remove Donald Trump ransomware, malware, and recover files encrypted with the .encrypted extension.
2. Run the program and start the Recuva Wizard.
3. Select All Files and click Next.
4. Select a file location. Click I’m not sure to search everywhere on your computer.
5. Click Start.
6. Select All Files with your mouse and click the Recover button. If you cannot restore your files with Recuva we recommend to try using Shadow Explorer to restore your files.
7. Download and Install Malwarebytes Anti-Malware software to detect and remove malicious files from your computer.
8. Open Malwarebytes and click the Scan Now button – or go to the Scan tab and click the Start Scan button.
9. Once the Malwarebytes scan is complete click the Remove Selected button.
10. To finish the Malwarebytes scan and remove detected threats click the Finish button and restart your computer if promoted to do so.
11. Download and Install HitmanPro by Surfright to perform a second-opinion scan.
12. Open HitmanPro and click Next to start scanning your computer. *If you are using the free version you may chose to create a copy or perform a one-time scan.
13. Once the HitmanPro scan is complete click the Next button.
14. To activate the free version of HitmanPro: enter your email address twice and click the Activate button.
15. Click the Reboot button.
16. Download and Install CCleaner by Piriform to cleanup junk files, repair your registry, and manage settings that may have been changed.
17. Open CCleaner and go to the main Cleaner screen. Click the Analyze button. When the process is complete, click the Run Cleaner button on the bottom right of the program interface.
18. Go to Tools > Startup and search for suspicious entries in each tab starting from Windows all the way to Content Menu. If you find anything suspicious click it and click the Delete button to remove it.
19. Go to the Registry window and click the Scan for Issues button. When the scan is complete click the Fix selected issues… button and click Fix All Selected Issues.
The key to staying protected against future infections is to follow common online guidelines and take advantage of reputable Antivirus and Anti-Malware security software with real-time protection.
Real-time security software
Security software like Malwarebytes and Norton Security have real-time features that can block malicious files before they spread across your computer. These programs bundled together can establish a wall between your computer and cyber criminals.
- Backup your computer and personal files to an external drive or online backup service
- Create a restore point on your computer in case you need to restore your computer to a date before infection
- Avoid downloading and installing apps, browser extensions, and programs you are not familiar with
- Avoid downloading and installing apps, browser extensions, and programs from websites you are not familiar with – some websites use their own download manager to bundle additional programs with the initial download
- If you plan to download and install freeware, open source software, or shareware make sure to be alert when you install the object and read all the instructions presented by the download manager
- Avoid torrents and P2P clients
- Do not open email messages from senders you do not know