Remove DiskPower virus
DiskPower virus is an expression used to describe a potentially unwanted program that is know to cause quite a stir in the information security industry. The program is usually promoted as a free optimizer for Windows that can help boost performance; However, it has been reported that the program is primarily used to collect information and display advertisements to the user. The potentially unwanted program is known to utilize deceptive marketing practices and advertising platforms in order to infiltrate a computer system under the guise of something it is not.
A concerning factor with the DiskPower virus is that the threat usually bundles alobng with other potentially unwanted programs, malware, and various malicious trace files. The DiskPower virus and threats that it may bundle with are commonly downloaded from a questionable source or distributed by a malicious and deceptive advertisement. Downloading objects online including freeware and torrent files can result in potentially unwanted programs infecting the user’s system. Even if a program is well known and trustworthy, if you download it from a malicious site or using an untrustworthy download manager can lead to a computer infection.
Removing DiskPower from your computer immediately is highly recommended. This program has a bad online reputation and may be the sign of a more serious computer infection. Use the DiskPower removal guide below to completely remove this program and other threats from your computer.
Alias: DiskPower virus
How to remove DiskPower virus
1. Download and Install Malwarebytes Anti-Malware software to scan for malware and remove malicious files from your computer.
2. Open Malwarebytes and click the Scan Now button – or go to the Scan tab and click the Start Scan button.
3. Once the Malwarebytes scan is complete click the Remove Selected button.
4. To finish the Malwarebytes scan and remove detected threats click the Finish button and restart your computer if promoted to do so.
5. Download and Install HitmanPro by Surfright to perform a second-opinion scan and remove any remaining traces of malware.
6. Open HitmanPro and click Next to start scanning your computer. *If you are using the free version you may chose to create a copy or perform a one-time scan.
7. Once the HitmanPro scan is complete click the Next button.
8. To activate the free version of HitmanPro: enter your email address twice and click the Activate button.
9. Click the Reboot button.
10. Download and Install CCleaner by Piriform to cleanup junk files, repair your registry, and manage settings that may have been changed.
11. Open CCleaner and go to the main Cleaner screen. Click the Analyze button. When the process is complete, click the Run Cleaner button on the bottom right of the program interface.
12. Go to Tools > Startup and search for suspicious entries in each tab starting from Windows all the way to Content Menu. If you find anything suspicious click it and click the Delete button to remove it.
13. Go to the Registry window and click the Scan for Issues button. When the scan is complete click the Fix selected issues… button and click Fix All Selected Issues.
14. Investigate your comptuer to see if the program was uninstalled and your browser settings have been repaired. If your settings have not changed or you still find the machine installed on your computer use the helpful links below to repair settings affected by the infection you previously removed.
- How to change your Google Chrome homepage
- How to change your Google Chrome search engine
- How to remove extensions from Chrome
- How to change your Mozilla Firefox homepage
- How to change your Mozilla Firefox search engine
- How to remove add-ons from Firefox
- How to change your Microsoft Internet Explorer homepage
- How to change your Microsoft Internet Explorer search engine
- How to remove add-ons from Internet Explorer
The key to staying protected against future infections is to follow common online guidelines and take advantage of reputable Antivirus and Anti-Malware security software with real-time protection.
Real-time security software
Security software like Malwarebytes and Norton Security have real-time features that can block malicious files before they spread across your computer. These programs bundled together can establish a wall between your computer and cyber criminals.
- Backup your computer and personal files to an external drive or online backup service
- Create a restore point on your computer in case you need to restore your computer to a date before infection
- Avoid downloading and installing apps, browser extensions, and programs you are not familiar with
- Avoid downloading and installing apps, browser extensions, and programs from websites you are not familiar with – some websites use their own download manager to bundle additional programs with the initial download
- If you plan to download and install freeware, open source software, or shareware make sure to be alert when you install the object and read all the instructions presented by the download manager
- Avoid torrents and P2P clients
- Do not open email messages from senders you do not know