What is Defru?
Defru is a potentially unwanted program (PUP) and potential malware found in the adware category of computer threats by many reputable security products. Defru is used to retrieve and gather user information, change existing internet browser settings, and serve advertisements on Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, and Microsoft Internet Explorer.
Possible Defru malware and associated programs, comprising additional browser add-ons and extensions often have permission to access and gain user information such as a user’s complete browsing activity and history, as well as information about bookmarks and browser themes. This information is used to serve targeted advertisements across different internet browsers and may also be put forward to third-party contractors (marketing and mailing lists).
Internet users may also encounter unwanted browser redirects when opening a new browser window, opening a new browser tab, or searching the web using the browser address or omni bar.
Advertisements shown by this program are delivered in many different forms and are often identified by text that says something similar to “Ads by Defru,” although these advertisements may be served by additional third-party adware and advertising platforms.
Defru has been found to relate with and package itself with additional third-party malware and PUPs during the installation process of third-party freeware endorsed by media related websites. In some situations a user may be presented with the opportunity to agree or refuse an offer to install this item and supplementary programs: However, the request to decline is often ignored.
This Defru removal guide will help rid the Defru virus and uninstall Defru malware from Windows in order to get rid of unwanted pop-up advertisements and browser redirects on Chrome, Firefox, and Internet Explorer.
How to remove Defru virus
- Option 1: Defru Removal Software & Tools – This first option details how to remove Defru malware using the free or full versions of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, Hitman Pro software, and/or CCleaner by Piriform.
- Option 2: Manually remove Defru – This second option details how to manually uninstall Defru and remove unwanted browser attachments
- For Tech Support – Call 1-888-879-0084 and they will kindly assist you with removing this computer infection.
1. Defru Removal Software & Tools
Use the instructions below to automatically remove Defru and third-party malware, as well as automatically remove unwanted search engines from your installed internet browsers.
1. We highly recommend writing down the toll free number below in case you run into any issues or problems while following the instructions. Our techs will kindly assist you with any problems.
if you need help give us a call
2. Install the free or paid version of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.
3. Once Malwarebytes is installed, run the program. *Malwarebytes may automatically begin to update and scan your computer at this point.
4. Once the Malwarebytes program has been open, if a scan has not initiated, please click the large Scan Now button or visit the “Scan” tab to initiate a scan. Before the scan is started Malwarebytes may ask to update the software, make sure to do so if prompted to.
5. Once the scan is complete, click the Quarantine All button to remove the files.
6. You may also chose to visit the History tab and click Delete All to remove these files from the Quarantine log, although these files no longer prove a threat.
CCleaner by Piriform
CCleaner can be used to automatically repair internet browser settings startup up settings, and uninstall Defru adware and associated third-party software.
1. Install the free or paid version of CCleaner by Piriform.
2. Once installed, open the program and navigate to Cleaner > Windows/Applications and click the Analyze button. Afterwards, click the Run Cleaner button on the bottom right of the program interface.
3. Next, navigate to Tools > Startup and search through each tab starting from windows, internet explorer, etc., all the way to Content Menu, for additional suspicious entries and click Disable and Delete once anything is found.
4. To automatically uninstall Defru and other unwanted programs, navigate to the Uninstall tab and search for Defru, etc. in the list of installed programs. Uninstall the unwanted software as selected by clicking the Run Uninstaller button.
2. Manually Remove Defru
Use the instructions below to manually uninstall Defru adware from Microsoft Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, and Windows 8.
How to uninstall Defru
1. Access Windows Start Menu and navigate to the Control Panel (on Windows 8, right click the bottom left corner to access the Windows 8 Start Menu).
2. Click Uninstall a program or Add and remove a program.
3. In the list of installed programs search for Defru and other potentially unwanted software. Once the adware program is located, double click the unwanted program(s) or highlight them in the list and click the Uninstall button.
How to remove Defru add-ons and extensions
Use the instructions below to remove Defru add-ons and extensions from Chrome, Firefox, and Internet Explorer. It may be necessary to remove third-party browser attachments.
1. Click on the Customize icon (wrench or 3 bar icon) next to the address bar and navigate to Tools > Extensions.
2. Search for the Defru extension and remove it by clicking the trashcan icon next to it.
1. Type Ctrl+Shift+A.
2. On the Extensions and Plugin search for the Defru add-on and remove it.
Microsoft Internet Explorer
1. Click Tools and select Manage add-ons.
2. On the Toolbars and Extensions tab search for the Defru add-on and remove it if located.