What is CryptorBit ransomware?
CryptorBit is a dangerous malware categorized as ransomware or a cryptovirus that targets all versions of Microsoft Windows including Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, and Windows 8. When infected, this ransomware will scan your computer and encrypt any data file it finds regardless of the file type or extension.
The CryptorBit virus locks a computer system, encrypts the files on the machine, and demands a fine to de-encrypt the files and release the computer. The CryptorBit virus will create a HowDecrypt.txt file and a HowDecrypt.gif in every Windows folder that CryptorBit encrypts. The GIF and TXT files that download alongside the CryptorBit virus will contain instructions to access a fraudulent payment website that pay the fake ransom. The CryptorBit payment site is located on the Tor network and you can only make the payment in Bitcoins.
When CryptorBit encrypts a file it does not actually encrypt the entire file, instead the CryptorBit virus replaces the first 512 bytes of the file.
The message displayed by the Cryptorbit virus should be ignored as files are not fully encrypted and the message is utilized in order to scare victims into paying an unnecessary ransom. If you are infected with Cryptorbit malware do not pay the fine and do not click any links or available navigation buttons! Instead use the free removal instructions below or seek professional assistance.
The message displayed on the common Cryptorbit screen is listed below:
All files including videos, photos, and documents, etc on your computer are encrypted. Encrypition was produced using a unique public key genereated for this computer. To decrypt files, you need to obtain the private key. The single copy of the private key, which will allow you to decrypt the files, located on a sevrec server on the Internet; the server will destroy the key after a time specified in this window. After that, nobody and never will be able to restore files. 1. In order to decrypt the files, open site 4sfxctgp53imlvzk.onion.to/index.php and follow the instructions. (end sample, start new sample) File Decryption costs ~ $ 500. In order to decrypt the files, you need to perform the following steps: 1. You should download and install this browser http://www.torproject.org/projects/torbrowser.html.en 2. After installation, run the browser and enter the address: 4sfxctgp53imlvzk.onion 3. Follow the instructions on the web-site. We remind you that the sooner you do, the more chances are left to recover the files. Guaranteed recovery is provided within 10 days. IMPORTANT INFORMATION: Your Personal CODE: 00000001-xxxxxx
As you can see this message is primarily used to frighten victims of this dangerous computer infection. In reality, files are not encrypted and this message is only produced to cause further complications. This message is only a threat. Please note, messages and lock-screens may vary.
If you paid the fine please contact your credit card or bank institutions to dispute charges and receive further safety instructions.
How does Cryptorbit virus get onto a computer?
The Cryptorbit ransomware infection can be contracted via suspicious downloads including freeware, shareware, codecs, torrents, and more, and is also promoted in malicious advertisements and search results.
The Cryptorbit virus may be present in exploit kits and may gain access via trojan horses hiding on malicious websites.
How to remove CryptorBit virus
- CryptorBit removal software (Automatic removal) – Detect and remove Cryptorbit ransomware
- System Restore – Restore PC to date and time before the Cryptorbit malware infection
- For Tech Support – Call 1-888-986-8411 and they will kindly assist you with removing this infection
1. CryptorBit virus removal software
1. We highly recommend writing down the toll free number below in case you run into any issues or problems while following the instructions. Our techs will kindly assist you with any problems.
if you need help give us a call
2. Install the free or paid version of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware software.
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Editor’s Choice
Latest versions: Malwarebytes Anti-Malware PRO, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free
Release date: 2013
3. Once Malwarebytes is installed, open the Anti-Malware program. If you are using the free version of Malwarebytes you will be prompted to update the database, please do so.
4. On the first tab labeled “Scanner” select the Perform full scan option and click the Scan button to perform a full system scan (pictured below).
5. Malwarebytes will automatically detect the CryptorBit virus and third-party malware on your computer. Once the scan is complete, Malwarebytes will prompt a message stating malicious objects were detected. Select (check) the malicious objects in the list and click the Remove Selected button to completely remove the Cryptorbit malware from your computer (The image below shows a file that is NOT selected for removal – ‘Make sure the box is checked in’).
2. System Restore
A System Restore is an easy solution to restore an infected computer to a date and time before it became infected with the Cryptorbit computer virus. To learn more please select a link below:
CryptorBit virus removal tips:
If the Cryptorbit virus is difficult to remove there are several steps you can use to troubleshoot the removal process:
Ransomware often infects 1 user account on Windows systems at a time. Here are some tips to remove ransomware by using different user accounts.
- Log into an account not affected by malware (with administrative rights) and perform a scan with reputable software to detect and remove malware.
- You can also delete the infected account.
- Other options include creating a new user account to remove malware if only 1 Window’s user account is present on the computer system.
Some variants of ransomware use flash and symptoms of the infection can be halted by denying flash via Macromedia’s real-time options. To learn more and deny flash please visit: http://www.macromedia.com/support/documentation/en/flashplayer/help/help09.html
Troubleshoot internet/network issues
Safe Mode With Networking can be used to access the Internet for updates, drivers, removal software, or other files if internet and network connectivity is compromised.