How to remove COTM App by We-Care.com (Virus Removal Guide)
COTM App virus
COTM App by We-Care.com is a potentially unwanted program (PUP) found in the adware category of computer threats. The COTM App program by We-Care.com and associated malware are used to access and collect sensitive user information and in turn generate targeted pop-up advertisements on Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, and Microsoft Internet Explorer. Information collected by this program may also be submitted to third-party contractors associated with email spam, junk mail, and telemarketing.
COTM App displays a variety of advertisements on and offline, including generic banner ads, in-text ads, pop-under ads, and more. In most cases these advertisements are generated through a third-party advertising platform such as PassShow.
Most users complain that COTM App installed without their consent. This is true as COTM App primarily bundles alongside third-party programs that fail to mention their involvement with this application.
How does COTM App malware get onto a computer?
COTM App bundles alongside third-party freeware and other potentially malicious programs distributed by questionable websites such as Softonic.com. In some cases the user is given the opportunity to accept or decline an offer to install this program and other items during the installation process of third-party freeware; However, as previously mentioned that is not always the case and even if a user wishes to decline the offer the program has the ability to ignore it.
How to remove the COTM App virus
- Option 1: COTM App Removal Software & Tools – This first option details how to remove COTM App by We-Care.com malware using the free or full versions of Hitman Pro software and/or CCleaner by Piriform.
- Option 2: Manually remove COTM App by We-Care.com – This second option details how to manually uninstall COTM App and remove unwanted browser attachments
- For Tech Support – Call 1-888-879-0084 and they will kindly assist you with removing this computer infection.
1. COTM App Removal Software & Tools
Use the instructions below to automatically remove COTM App and third-party malware, as well as automatically remove unwanted search engines from your installed internet browsers.
Hitman Pro by SurfRight
1. We highly recommend writing down the toll free number below in case you run into any issues or problems while following the instructions. Our techs will kindly assist you with any problems.
if you need help give us a call
2. Install the free or purchase the full version of Hitman Pro software.
3. Once Hitman Pro is installed, open the program and click Next to start scanning your computer. *If you are using the free version you may chose to create a copy or perform a one-time scan.
4. When the scan is complete, click the Next button again to delete any threats or traces on your system.
5. If you are initially using the free version, to activate it, enter your email address twice and click the Activate button.
6. Restart your computer by selecting Reboot.
Your computer should now be clean of threats, tracking cookies, malware, and other unwanted traces.
CCleaner by Piriform
CCleaner can be used to automatically repair internet browser settings startup up settings, and uninstall COTM App adware and associated third-party software.
1. Install the free or paid version of CCleaner by Piriform.
2. Once installed, open the program and navigate to Cleaner > Windows/Applications and click the Analyze button. Afterwards, click the Run Cleaner button on the bottom right of the program interface.
3. Next, navigate to Tools > Startup and search through each tab starting from windows, internet explorer, etc., all the way to Content Menu, for additional suspicious entries and click Disable and Delete once anything is found.
4. To automatically uninstall COTM App (by We-Care.com) and other unwanted programs, navigate to the Uninstall tab and search for COTM App, etc. in the list of installed programs. Uninstall the unwanted software as selected by clicking the Run Uninstaller button.
2. Manually Remove COTM App
Use the instructions below to manually uninstall COTM App adware from Microsoft Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, and Windows 8.
How to uninstall COTM App
1. Access Windows Start Menu and navigate to the Control Panel (on Windows 8, right click the bottom left corner to access the Windows 8 Start Menu).
2. Click Uninstall a program or Add and remove a program.
3. In the list of installed programs search for COTM App (by We-Care.com) and other potentially unwanted software. Once the unwanted program is located, double click the unwanted program(s) or highlight them in the list and click the Uninstall button.
How to remove COTM App add-ons and extensions
Use the instructions below to remove COTM App add-ons and extensions from Chrome, Firefox, and Internet Explorer. It may be necessary to remove third-party browser attachments.
1. Click on the Customize icon (wrench or 3 bar icon) next to the address bar and navigate to Tools > Extensions.
2. Search for the COTM App extension and remove it by clicking the trashcan icon next to it.
1. Type Ctrl+Shift+A.
2. On the Extensions and Plugin search for the COTM App add-on and remove it.
Microsoft Internet Explorer
1. Click Tools and select Manage add-ons.
2. On the Toolbars and Extensions tab search for the COTM App add-on and remove it if located.