Quick Ref (also known as QuickRef ) is cross-browser adware that collects user browsing data and generates pop-up and in-text advertisements on visited webpages.
Quick Ref adware can gain access to and collect user personal browsing data (including all browsing activities, bookmarks, and history) and modify browser settings (including the homepage, new tab settings, and default, managed, or provided search engine). Observed user information is to generate advertisements it feels are relevant to internet user browsing habits, but may also be shared with third-parties and used for other marketing campaigns. Furthermore, the program may change browser settings in order to redirect users to sponsored webpages when an internet browser is initially booted, a new tab is open, or a user searches the web using the affected browser’s address bar.
- Quick Ref serves advertisements (including banner ads, in-text advertisements that appear as hyperlinked text, and pop-under advertisements).
- Quick Ref allows unwanted programs to automatically install without user knowledge.
- Quick Ref bundles with third-party malware and potentially malicious files without user knowledge.
How did Quick Ref get onto my computer?
Quick Ref adware primarily comes bundled with third-party programs and files, including freeware, shareware, and torrents. It may be included in a custom install and users may be given the opportunity to accept or decline an offer to install Quick Ref and other items; However, the request to decline the offer is often ignored and the program will install without user consent or knowledge.
Potential Quick Ref malware can also be contracted from questionable advertisements, most notably found on media sharing websites and websites that promote prohibited content. In many scenarios, questionable advertisements may claim that an update or other item needs to be installed in order to trick users into clicking the ads and installing potentially harmful content.
How to remove Quick Ref
This Quick Ref removal guide will help you remove Quick Ref virus, potentially unwanted programs, malware, and get rid of ads by Quick Ref on Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, and Microsoft Internet Explorer.
- Step 1: Scan your computer for malware
- Step 2: Cleanup and repair settings
- Step 3: Uninstall Quick Ref from Windows
- Step 4: Remove Quick Ref browser attachments
- For Tech Support Call: 1-866-521-2427
Step 1: Scan your computer for malware
1. We recommend that you write down the toll free number below in case you run into any issues or problems while removing Quick Ref. Our techs will kindly assist you with any problems.
if you need help give us a call
2. Install the free or full version of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. The full version enables real-time protection to block malware and unwanted programs from infecting your computer, while the free version is just a free scan and removal tool.
3. Open the Anti-Malware program after the program is installed.
4. Click the large Scan Now button or visit the “Scan” tab to manually run a scan. Before the scan is started Malwarebytes may ask to update the software, make sure to install updates if prompted to do so.
5. Once the malware scan is complete, click the Quarantine All button and reboot your computer.
Step 2: Cleanup and repair settings
1. Install the free or full version of CCleaner by Piriform.
2. Once installed, open the program and navigate to Cleaner > Windows/Applications and click the Analyze button. Afterwards, click the Run Cleaner button on the bottom right of the program interface.
3. Next, navigate to Tools > Startup and search through each tab starting from windows, internet explorer, etc., all the way to Content Menu, for additional suspicious entries and click Disable and Delete once anything is found.
4. To automatically uninstall Quick Ref using CCleaner, navigate to the Uninstall tab and search for the program in the list of installed programs. Uninstall the unwanted software as selected by clicking the Run Uninstaller button.
Step 3: Uninstall Quick Ref from Windows
1. Access Windows Start Menu and navigate to the Control Panel (on Windows 8, right click the bottom left corner to gain access to the Windows 8 Start Menu. Windows 8 may also select Programs and Features).
2. In Windows Control Panel, click Uninstall a program or Add and remove a program in the Programs section.
3. In the list of installed programs, search for Quick Ref. Once the program is located, double click the unwanted program or select it with your mouse and click the Uninstall button. *Follow any on-screen instructions that may prompt to remove this program. Repeat the steps to remove additional unwanted programs.
4. Restart your computer.
Step 4: Remove Quick Ref browser attachments
1. Click on the Customize icon (3 bar icon) next to the address bar and navigate to More tools > Extensions.
2. Search for the Quick Ref extension and other suspicious extensions and remove them individually by clicking the trashcan icon next to it.
1. Type Ctrl+Shift+A.
2. On the Extensions and Plugin search for the Quick Ref add-on and other suspicious add-ons and remove them if located.
Microsoft Internet Explorer
1. Click Tools and select Manage add-ons.
2. On the Toolbars and Extensions tab search for the Quick Ref add-on, click it, and click the Remove button. Remove other suspicious add-ons if found. If the Remove button does not appear you must first uninstall associated software through the Control Panel.