How to remove Privoxy (Virus Removal Guide)
Privoxy (also searched for as Privoxy virus) is an advertisement-supported potentially unwanted program (PUP) that usually downloads and installs without user consent or knowledge. The Privoxy program can automatically install in the background while you work on your computer or browse the web. Privoxy is also associated with various unwanted programs and registry modifications. Once the “Privoxy virus” has been contracted users may notice unwanted pop-up ads and browser redirects when they use an affected internet browser.
What is Privoxy?
Third-party software bundlers and download managers usually promote Privoxy or programs that install it as free browser plugins that can help you find coupons and deals for the products you search for and view online.
Privoxy adware generates deceptive and intrusive pop-up ads across Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer, and Safari. Ads by Privoxy are defined as ‘targeted’ ads because they use your personal browsing information (including all your data on the websites you visit) to produce advertisements it feels you are most likely to click on. The adware basically ‘targets’ you based off your current and past browsing habits.
Privoxy adware is not technically defined as a computer virus but this adware is still a threat to your privacy and can be the sign of a severe malware infection. The internet security community strongly recommends that you remove Privoxy if you find it installed on your machine or attached to your internet browser as a browser add-on or extension and use reputable Antivirus or Anti-Malware software to eradicate any existing malicious files.
How did Privoxy get on my computer?
Privoxy and programs like it are usually contracted without knowledge. Privoxy is often bundled inside third-party software downloaders and bundlers. It may arrive on a computer system once other programs have been introduced to the machine. Software that Privoxy adware may bundle with includes freeware, shareware, and dubious torrent files.
[fancy_box title=”Privoxy overview”]
- Privoxy bundles with other potentially unwanted programs and malware.
- Privoxy is usually bundled inside installers and downloaders distributed as dubious torrents or as freeware programs distributed by websites similar to download.com and softonic.com.
- Privoxy injects visited webpages with pop-up and in-text advertisements.
- Privoxy makes unwanted changes to existing Windows settings and schedules new tasks which allow it to run every time Windows starts and check to see if the program has been disabled. If the program is disabled it will enable itself.
How to remove Privoxy virus
[list style=”pointer” color=”red”]
Option 1: Automatically remove Privoxy virus with Malwarebytes
1. Download and install Malwarebytes Anti-Malware software.
[button link=”https://store.malwarebytes.org/342/cookie?affiliate=23046&redirectto=http%3a%2f%2fdownloads.malwarebytes.org%2ffile%2fmbam%2f&redirecthash=79CD12ECAB939D32967B5D05C6C86E32″ align=”center” bgcolor=”#ff0000″ hoverbgcolor=”#c71414″ hovertextcolor=”#ffffff” textcolor=”#ffffff” size=”large” style=”flat” fullwidth=”false”]Download “Privoxy” removal tool[/button]
2. Launch Malwarebytes Anti-Malware software once it has finished installing.
3. Make sure that Malwarebytes has been updated. To ensure it is updated click Update Now on the Dashboard.
4. Click the large Scan Now button on the dashboard to perform a scan with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware software.
5. When the scan is complete click the Remove Selected button and then click the Finish button or restart your computer if Malwarebytes suggests that you do so.
[note align=”left”]If you are still having issues removing Privoxy we suggest that use a second opinion scanner such as HitmanPro 3 to locate and remove any computer infection that may be present. You may also proceed to option 2 below and view our additional tips to remove Privoxy.[/note]
Option 2: Manually remove Privoxy
How to uninstall Privoxy
1. Open Windows Start Menu and go to the Control Panel.
2. Click Uninstall a program (or Add and remove program) in the Programs section.
3. Search for Privoxy in the list of installed programs and select it with your mouse, then click Uninstall. You can also double click Privoxy to uninstall it.
[note align=”left”]If you do not find Privoxy in your list of installed program you may need to uninstall additional programs that may have bundled with it. You can view our additional tips to remove Privoxy below.[/note]
How to remove Privoxy add-ons and extensions
1. Click the Customize and control Google Chrome icon and go to More tools > Extensions.
2. Search for the Privoxy extension in the list and click the trashcan icon.
1. Open the Menu and click Add-ons.
2. Search for the Privoxy add-on and click Remove.
1. Go to Safari > Preferences > Extensions.
2. Search for the Privoxy extension in the list and click the Uninstall button.
[note align=”left”]If you do not find Privoxy in your list of add-ons and extensions you may need to remove additional attachments that may have bundled with it. You can view our additional tips to remove Privoxy below.[/note]
Privoxy virus removal tips
- If you do not find Privoxy in your list of installed programs you may need to uninstall additional programs. Additional programs may include suspicious titles that may have been contracted around the same time or after the initial infection.
- If you are still having issues removing Privoxy you should use a second opinion scanner such as HitmanPro 3. HitmanPro 3 is the best second opinion scan and removal tool. It can be used to locate and remove remaining threats.