How to remove Piggy (Virus Removal Guide)
How to remove Piggy (Virus Removal Guide)
Piggy (also searched for as Piggy Desktop App, Piggy virus) is an adware injector. It utilizes misleading email spam techniques and false advertising to get users to manually and voluntarily install it. The Piggy extension may also be introduced to a computer user alongside third-party potentially unwanted programs (PUPs) and malware. Once the Piggy extension has been installed it will obtain access to your private browsing data and will use the data to generate targeted advertisements it feels you are most likely to click on. Piggy ads usually say “powered by Piggy” on them or “Deals.”
What is Piggy?
Piggy is typically promoted by the publisher as a free browser extension that will give you “automatic cash back.” It claims that every time you visit a participating store they will help you activate your cash back (However, they used much more typos to explain this).
Potential Piggy malware generates different style ads across Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer, and Safari. Ads by Piggy are defined as ‘targeted’ ads because they use your personal browsing information (including all your data on the websites you visit and browser history) to produce advertisements it feels you are most likely to click on. The adware basically ‘targets’ you and your current and past browsing habits.
The Piggy extension for Google Chrome has permission to read and change all your data on the websites you visit and read your browsing data.
Piggy adware is not technically defined as a computer virus but this adware is still a threat to your privacy and can be the sign of a severe malware infection. The internet security community strongly recommends that you remove Piggy if you find it installed on your machine or attached to your internet browser as a browser add-on or extension and use reputable Antivirus or Anti-Malware software to eradicate any existing malicious files.
Piggy and programs like it are usually contracted without knowledge or by use of very deceptive and dishonest marketing tactits. Piggy is often bundled inside third-party software downloaders and bundlers. It may arrive on a computer system once other programs have been introduced to the machine. Software that Piggy adware may bundle with includes freeware, shareware, and dubious torrent files.
Furthermore, the Piggy extension utilizes very unethical and dishonest marketing tactics. It engages in email spam campaigns designed to trick users into installing the browser extension. Email spam associated with Piggy adware may fraudulently claim that a user has won products online, including the Piggy Desktop App.
This comprehensive Piggy removal guide will help you remove Piggy virus from your PC and get rid of ads by Piggy on Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Edge, and Safari.
How to remove Piggy
Step 1: Uninstall Piggy
1. Open Windows Start/Task Menu and go to the Control Panel.
2. Click Uninstall a program (or Add and remove program) in the Programs section.
3. Search for Piggy in the list of installed programs and select it with your mouse, then click Uninstall. You can also double click Piggy to uninstall it.
[note align=”left”]If you do not find Piggy in your list of installed program you may need to uninstall additional programs that may have bundled with it.[/note]
1. Click the Customize and control Google Chrome icon and go to More tools > Extensions.
2. Search for the Piggy extension in the list and click the trashcan icon.
1. Open the Menu and click Add-ons.
2. Search for the Piggy add-on and click Remove.
1. Go to Safari > Preferences > Extensions.
2. Search for the Piggy extension in the list and click the Uninstall button.
Step 2: Scan your computer and remove Piggy with Malwarebytes
1. Download and install Malwarebytes Anti-Malware software.
[button link=”https://store.malwarebytes.org/342/cookie?affiliate=23046&redirectto=http%3a%2f%2fdownloads.malwarebytes.org%2ffile%2fmbam%2f&redirecthash=79CD12ECAB939D32967B5D05C6C86E32″ align=”center” bgcolor=”#ff0000″ hoverbgcolor=”#c71414″ hovertextcolor=”#ffffff” textcolor=”#ffffff” size=”large” style=”flat” fullwidth=”false”]Download “Piggy” removal tool[/button]
2. Launch Malwarebytes Anti-Malware software once it has finished installing.
3. Make sure that Malwarebytes has been updated. To ensure it is updated click Update Now on the Dashboard.
4. Click the large Scan Now button on the dashboard to perform a scan with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware software.
5. When the scan is complete click the Remove Selected button and then click the Finish button or restart your computer if Malwarebytes suggests that you do so.
[note align=”left”]If you are still having issues removing Piggy we suggest that use a second opinion scanner such as HitmanPro 3 to locate and remove any computer infection that may be present. You may also proceed to option 2 below and view our additional tips to remove Piggy.[/note]
Piggy virus removal tips
- If you do not find Piggy in your list of installed programs you may need to uninstall additional programs. Additional programs may include suspicious titles that may have been contracted around the same time or after the initial infection.
- If you are still having issues removing Piggy you should use a second opinion scanner such as HitmanPro 3. HitmanPro 3 is the best second opinion scan and removal tool. It can be used to locate and remove remaining threats.