How to remove personal-browser.com (Virus Removal Guide)
Personal-browser.com virus (also known as personal-browser virus) is a misused term commonly used to identify a deceptive website and associated programs and browser plugins including ‘Personal Browser Toolbar.’ The website and programs used to promote it are known to cause many issues for computer and internet users. Personal-browser.com changes your existing internet browser settings and changes your homepage and default search engine. It can change settings of Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Microsoft Internet Explorer, and Apple Safari. The website employs multiple potentially unwanted programs (PUPs) which are in the browser hijacker category of computer infections in order to modify existing internet browser settings and cause browser to redirect to personal-browser.com, search.yahoo.com,and other sponsored webpages.
Once potential personal-browser malware or programs that promote the search engine are introduced to a computer, internet users will fall victim to continuous browser redirects to personal-browser.com and other webpages when a new browser window or tab is opened. Internet browsers will also start-up on the webpage.
There are a variety of potentially unwanted programs used to cause browser redirects to personal-browser.com. This means it may be necessary to uninstall multiple programs and remove multiple browser add-ons and extensions.
How to remove personal-browser.com
- Step 1: Uninstall potentially unwanted programs
- Step 2: Remove browser add-on and extensions
- Step 3: Remove personal-browser.com search engine
- Step 4: Remove personal-browser.com homepage
- Step 5: Scan your computer for malware
- Step 6: Clean up
Step 1: Uninstall potentially unwanted programs
1. We highly recommend writing down the toll free number below in case you run into any issues or problems while following the instructions. Our techs will kindly assist you with any problems.
2.Navigate to the Control Panel on Windows Start Menu.
3. Click Uninstall a program (or Add and remove a program).
4. A list of programs installed on your computer will appear. Search for suspicious and unwanted programs in the list of installed programs. Once a program you want to remove is located, double click to begin the uninstall process (or select the program and click Uninstall).
Step 2: Remove browser add-ons and extensions
1. Click on the Customize icon (3 bar icon) next to the address bar and navigate to More tools > Extensions.
2. Search for the extension and remove it by clicking the trashcan icon next to it.
1. Type Ctrl+Shift+A.
2. On the Extensions and Plugin search for the add-on, select it, and remove it.
Step 3: Remove personal-browser.com search engine
- In Mozilla Firefox, click the small search magnify glass near the search box (not url/search field) and click “Manage Search Engines…”. Remove personal-browser.com search engine from the list of search providers by highlighting the selections and clicking remove.
- In Microsoft Internet Explorer navigate to Tools > Manage Add Ons > Search Providers and remove personal-browser.com search engine from the list.
- In Google Chrome, click the customize icon (wrench or 3 bars) and navigate to Settings > Manage search engines… click the X next to personal-browser.com search engine to remove it.
Step 4: Remove personal-browser.com homepage
- In Mozilla Firefox navigate to Tools > Options or click Firefox in the top left corner and click Options > Options. Under the General tab remove personal-browser.com from the “Home Page:” field and replace it with your preferred home page URL.
- In Microsoft Internet Explorer navigate to Tools >Internet Options. Remove personal-browser.com from the Home Page field and replace it with your preferred URL.
- In Google Chrome click the customize icon (wrench or 3 bars) and navigate to Settings.Click “Set pages” under the On startup option. Remove personal-browser.com and replace it with your preferred homepage URL.
Step 5: Scan your computer for malware
1. Download and Install the free or full version of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. The full version enables real-time protection to block malware and unwanted programs from infecting your computer, while the free version is just a free scan and removal tool.
2. Once Malwarebytes is installed, open the Anti-Malware program and click the Scan Now button or visit the “Scan” tab to manually run a scan. Malwarebytes may automatically begin to update and scan your computer at this point.
3. When the malware scan is complete, click the Quarantine All button to isolate and remove the detected files. You may be asked to reboot your computer to completely remove detected files.
Step 6: Clean up and repair settings
1. Download and Install the free or full version of CCleaner by Piriform.
2. Open CCleaner after it is installed and navigate to Cleaner > Windows/Applications and click the Analyze button. Afterwards, click the Run Cleaner button.
3. Next, navigate to Tools > Startup and search for suspicious entries through each tab starting from Windows, Internet Explorer, etc., all the way to Context Menu and click Disable and Delete once anything you do not recognize is found. This will help you locate and remove unwanted browser attachments and repair other settings.