How to remove PCTuner (Virus Removal Guide)
What is PCTuner virus?
PCTuner by Tuneup computer or other publisher (also searched for as PCTuner virus, PC Tuner) is a rogue Windows optimization program that usually accesses a computer system without user consent or knowledge. PCTuner is known to automatically download and install in the background via third-party software bundlers and files that remain hidden on your computer. PCTuner is destructive and can cause a lot of problems for computer users. It can also be the sign of a serious malware infestation.
Once PCTuner is installed it will begin to allegedly perform a scan for multiple items including your start menu history, recently used programs, shared libraries, system fonts, system help files, system software, and more. The scan will always return a large amount of results. PCTuner will claim that “your computer may be infected by a virus and malware” and will instruct users to call their “toll free expert tech support” phone number, which at the time of our study is 1-866-978-5645.
The PCTuner program is essentially described as a tech support scam. It claims that there are errors and viruses on your computer and in order to fix them it will demand that you call their tech support hotline.
PCTuner is known to be potentially dangerous, which is why many people identify it as the “PCTuner virus” even though it is not technically defined as a computer virus. Aside from essentially being an unnecessary and possibly malicious program, PCTuner will use up your compute resources, including memory and CPU. This can cause your computer to become slow and sluggish, or even crash.
To make matters much worse, PCTuner bundles with other unwanted programs, adware, and very severe forms of malware. If you have found PCTuner installed on your computer without your consent it is very likely that your computer has become infected with malicious software. Third-party threats that bundle with PCTuner can cause additional issues for computer and internet users, and will ultimately put everyone’s privacy at risk.
There are different ways that PCTuner can get onto your computer. It is often promoted by third-party freeware installers and download managers as a custom or sponsored offer. Users will be able to accept or decline the program from gaining entrance to their computers, but this isn’t always the case. PCTuner can also automatically download in the background while you work on your computer via third-party software bundlers, trojan horses, and other files.
[fancy_box title=”PCTuner overview”]
- PCTuner bundles with other potentially unwanted programs and malware.
- PCTuner is usually bundled inside third-party freeware installers, download managers, and dubious torrent files.
- PCTuner injects visited webpages with pop-up and in-text advertisements.
- PCTuner makes unwanted changes to existing Windows settings and schedules new tasks which allow it to run every time Windows starts and check to see if the program has been disabled. If the program is disabled it will enable itself.
How to remove PCTuner virus
[list style=”pointer” color=”red”]
- Option 1: Automatically remove PCTuner virus with Malwarebytes
- Option 2: Manually remove PCTuner
- Option 3: Call Tech Support 1-888-986-8411
Option 1: Automatically remove PCTuner virus with Malwarebytes
1. We recommend that you write down the toll free number below in case you run into any issues while removing this infection. Our techs will kindly assist you with any problems you may face.
2. Download and install Malwarebytes Anti-Malware software.
[button link=”https://store.malwarebytes.org/342/cookie?affiliate=23046&redirectto=http%3a%2f%2fdownloads.malwarebytes.org%2ffile%2fmbam%2f&redirecthash=79CD12ECAB939D32967B5D05C6C86E32″ align=”center” bgcolor=”#ff0000″ hoverbgcolor=”#c71414″ hovertextcolor=”#ffffff” textcolor=”#ffffff” size=”large” style=”flat” fullwidth=”false”]Download “PCTuner” removal tool[/button]
3. Launch Malwarebytes Anti-Malware software once it has finished installing.
4. Make sure that Malwarebytes has been updated. To ensure it is updated click Update Now on the Dashboard.
5. Click the large Scan Now button on the dashboard to perform a scan with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware software.
6. When the scan is complete click the Remove Selected button and then click the Finish button or restart your computer if Malwarebytes suggests that you do so.
[note align=”left”]If you are still having issues removing PCTuner we suggest that use a second opinion scanner such as HitmanPro 3 to locate and remove any computer infection that may be present. You may also proceed to option 2 below and view our additional tips to remove PCTuner.[/note]
Option 2: Manually remove PCTuner (Uninstall)
1. Open Windows Start Menu and go to the Control Panel.
2. Click Uninstall a program (or Add and remove program) in the Programs section.
3. Search for PCTuner by Tuneupe computer (or other publisher) in the list of installed programs and select it with your mouse, then click Uninstall. You can also double click PCTuner to uninstall it.
[note align=”left”]If you do not find PCTuner in your list of installed program you may need to uninstall additional programs that may have bundled with it. You can view our additional tips to remove PCTuner below.[/note]
PCTuner virus removal tips
- If you do not find PCTuner in your list of installed programs you may need to uninstall additional programs. Additional programs may include suspicious titles that may have been contracted around the same time or after the initial infection.
- If you are still having issues removing PCTuner you should use a second opinion scanner such as HitmanPro 3. HitmanPro 3 is the best second opinion scan and removal tool. It can be used to locate and remove remaining threats.
- If you need help our tech support team is standing by 24 hours a day. You can reach tech support at: 1-888-986-8411