How to remove Orbitum (Virus Removal Guide)
Orbitum (also known as Orbitum browser by Orbitum Software LLC) is a potentially unwanted program in the browser hijacker category of computer threats that is known to access a computer system without user knowledge. Orbitum browser works as a standalone alternative internet browser for Windows or Mac, but appears alike Google Chrome (Chromium). Symantec Norton Antivirus software has this program detected as a WS.Reputation.1 because Orbitum browser is known to corrupt existing internet browser settings of Chrome, Firefoz, and Internet Explorer, generate pop-up advertisements, and cause browser redirects to orbitum.com and other websites.
What is Orbitum?
Publisher Description: Orbitum – a fast, easy and safe browser that lets you chat on popular social networks, including Facebook. Modern and simple with a magical interface that contains a window displaying the list of your friends from social networks, so you can quickly read and reply your private messages. Orbitum is based on the Chromium engine and loads webpages very quickly and has embedded Facebook chats.
- Orbitum bundles with third-party malware, malicious files, and potentially unwanted programs (PUPs).
- Orbitum can read and change all your data on the websites you visit.
- Orbitum can read and change your browsing history.
- Orbitum can manage your apps, extensions, and themes.
- Orbitum can manage your downloads.
How does Orbitum get on a computer?
The Orbitum virus (although not technically a computer virus) is often contracted without knowledge alongside free downloadable content, such as freeware, shareware, torrents, and other items. In many cases, internet users are given the opportunity to accept or decline a custom offer to install this program and other items; However, the offer to decline the program from installing is often ignored by the distributor and presented in a deceptive manner.
Orbitum browser can also be manually and voluntarily downloaded from Orbitum.com and other distribution websites.
How to remove Orbitum
- Step 1: Remove unwanted add-ons and extensions
- Step 2: Uninstall Orbitum from Windows
- Step 3: Scan your computer for malware
- Step 4: Cleanup and repair settings
- For Tech Support Call: 1-888-879-0084
Step 1: Remove unwanted add-ons and extensions
1. Click on the Customize icon (3 bar icon) next to the address bar and navigate to More tools > Extensions.
2. Search for unwanted extensions and remove them individually by clicking the trashcan icon next to each one.
1. Type Ctrl+Shift+A.
2. On the Extensions and Plugin search for unwanted add-ons and remove them if located.
Step 2: Uninstall Orbitum from Windows
1. Access Windows Start Menu and navigate to the Control Panel.
2. On Windows Control Panel, click Uninstall a program or Add and remove a program in the Programs section.
3. In the list of installed programs, search for Orbitum and other unwanted programs. Once an unwanted program is located, double click the unwanted program or select it with your mouse and click the Uninstall button.
4. Follow any on-screen uninstall instructions and restart your computer to complete the removal process.
Step 3: Scan your computer for malware
1. Download and install the free or full version of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. The full version enables real-time protection to block malware and unwanted programs from infecting your computer, while the free version is just a free scan and removal tool.
2. Open the Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.
3. Click the large Scan Now button or visit the “Scan” tab to manually run a scan.
4. Once the malware scan is complete, click the Quarantine All button and reboot your computer.
Step 4: Cleanup and repair settings
1. Download and install the free or full version of CCleaner by Piriform.
2. Once installed, open the program and navigate to Cleaner > Windows/Applications and click the Analyze button. Afterwards, click the Run Cleaner button on the bottom right of the program interface.
3. Next, navigate to Tools > Startup and search through each tab starting from windows, internet explorer, etc., all the way to Content Menu, for additional suspicious entries and click Disable and Delete once anything is found.
4. To automatically uninstall unwanted programs using CCleaner, navigate to the Uninstall tab and search for the program in the list of installed programs. Uninstall the unwanted software as selected by clicking the Run Uninstaller button.