What is NTVDM.EXE (NTVDM.exe file)?
Ntvdm.exe is a legitimate Windows operating system file and process used to handle a single MS DOS environment but may also be the name of a malicious file and Windows process relating to malware and computer viruses. Though ntvdm.exe is a name of a file and process utilized by cyber criminals, most of the time errors and issues concerning the ntvdm.exe file are related to bugs in system updates and it has been reported that uninstalling both KB2707511 and KB2709162 system updates has fixed problems concerning the NTVDM.exe file.
Issues concerning ntvdm.exe have been related to Windows users who are running a 16-bit MS DOS program. Users may receive a ntvmd.exe error messages that may state “NTVDM.EXE has encountered a problem and needs to close.” Others recieving a NTVDM.EXE erorr may recieve a notification stating that the ntvdm.exe process is using high CPU levels. *A High CPU level is not necessarily a tell tale sign of malware
Some report that ntvdm.exe may casue MS DOS errors that dissallow legitimate 16-bit programs from operating correctly or at all.
Many errors relating to ntvdm.exe have been introduced to the computer system after installing security update KB2707511, as well as other updates. To fix this error please remove the update from your computer. There are several ways to remove the KB2707511 security update and other updates, including future updates described below.
How to Uninstall Windows updates:
To uninstall updates causing complications with the NTVDM.exe file, please navigate to Windows Uninstaller. Another solution not described in this section is to perform a System Restore, but it’s ultimately unnecessary if you are not infected with malware and can simply manually uninstall system updates interfering with the ntvdm.exe process .
1. Open Windows Start Menu and select the Control Panel.
2. From the Control Panel, select Add or remove programs or Uninstall a program (depending on your version of Windows).
3. Select Show updates or View installed updates. Search for the latest security update that is likely titled Security Update for Microsoft Windows (K________) under a section called Microsot Windows and double click the update to uninstasll it. A small windows will pop up that Are you sure you want to uninstall this update, click yes.
The latest security update may be titled similar to (KB2707511) or (KB2823324). To re-install current updates in case of error, if removing the latest security update did not fix the ntvdm.exe issue, navigate to Windows Start Menu, click All Programs, and then click Windows Update.
Is ntvdm.exe malware (ntvdm.exe virus)?
Ntvdm.exe is not malicious but cyber criminals do title the name of files as ntvdm.exe in order to trick unsuspecting vitims and remain undetected. You can often tell if ntvdm.exe is malicious if the user is not currently operating a MS DOS program and the NTVDM.EXE process is running.
Furthermore, you can also tell if NTVDM.EXE is malicious if the process is using a high percentage or level of CPU usage and Memory in Windows Task Manager by typing Ctrl Shift Esc and visiting the Processes and Performance tabs.
The legitimate NTVDM.exe file will most likely be in all caps besides the .exe extension (NTVDM.exe), though legitimate system messages and alerts often spell the process out as NTVDM.EXE.
How to remove NTVDM.exe virus (malware)
To remove malware assocaited with the ntvdm.exe file it is recommended to scan your computer for malware using reputable Anti-Malaware software such as Malwarebytes Anti-Malware or HitmanPro3. If your computer is acting slow or sluggish, check out the free cleaning and optimization tools we have to offer on our software page.
The instructions below describe how to remove ntvdm.exe malware using Malwarebytes Anti-Malware PRO and FREE versions. The PRO version availble for a one time payment of $24.95 offers real time protection against support and automatic updates and the FREE version offers a malware scanner that also eradicates the files without additional costs.
1. Install Malwarebytes Anti-Malware PRO of FREE.
2. Once installed, run the program. If you are using the FREE version you will be promoted to update the software, please do so.
3. On the Malwarebytes home interface under the tab titled Scanner, select the Perform full scan option and click the Scan button to perform a complete scan of your computer.
4. Once the scan is complete, Malwarebytes will prompt a message stating if malicious files were found on the computer. If any malicious files are found, Malwarebytes will display them in a list. Make sure the list of files is clicked (everything is selected) and click the Remove Selected button to completely remove ntvdm.exe malware from your computer. The image below shows a file that is NOT selected.