How to remove MyTransitGuide (Virus Removal Guide)
MyTransitGuide by myway (Mindspark Interactive Network, Inc) is the name of a browser extension and landing page on the myway.com domain. Once the MyTransitGuide extension is installed it will replace your homepage so your browser will start on the MyTransitGuide by myway webpage when you open a new browser window. It can also replace your new tab page and default search engine in order to cause your browser to redirect to the MyTransitGuide by myway webpage when you open a new browser tab or search the web via the address bar.
The MyTransitGuide extension is promoted as a free tool that will allow you to listen to the radio from your PC. However, it is not a radio player. Instead, the MyTransitGuide extension will only replace your browser homepage with a MyTransitGuide webpage. In other versions of myway extensions there is a toolbar or menu at the top of the webpage with links to relevant websites, but the MyTransitGuide by myway webpage does not contain such links. It does not contain links to any radio stations or provide you with a way to listen to the radio. It does not do what it is promoted to do; it will only hijack your homepage.
To make matters worse the MyTransitGuide exstension is very intrusive and has permissions set allowing it to perform tasks that may violate your privacy. For example, the MyTransitGuide extension for Google Chrome has permission to read and change all your data on the websites you visit, read and change your browsing history, manage your downloads, and manage your apps, extensions, and themes.
The MyTransitGuide browser extension is also promoted and advertised alongside potentially unwanted programs, adware, and malware. If you find MyTransitGuide installed onto your browser without your consent it is likely that your computer may be infected with malware.
|Names||MyTransitGuide, MyTransitGuide virus|
|Detection Categories||Adware, Potentially Unwanted Program (PUP)|
|Description||Find FREE transit maps, fares and schedules.|
|Symptoms||Advertisements in the web browser
Browser redirects to sponsored webpages
Decreased internet speed and performance
Decreased computer functionality and performance
Bundles with malware and other potentially unwanted programs
|Removal Tool||Download Malwarebytes|
MyTransitGuide (Virus Removal Guide)
These MyTransitGuide removal instructions show you how to remove MyTransitGuide by myway, viruses, and malware from your computer and browser.
- Scan your computer with Malwarebytes
- Scan your computer with HitmanPro
- Manually remove MyTransitGuide extension
- Cleanup and repair settings with CCleaner
1. Scan your computer with Malwarebytes
2. Open Malwarebytes and click the Scan Now button or go to the Scan tab and click the Start Scan button.
3. When the Malwarebytes scan is complete click the Remove Selected button.
4. To finish the Malwarebytes scan and remove detected threats click the Finish button and restart your computer if promoted to do so.
2. Scan your computer with HitmanPro
2. Open HitmanPro and click Next to start scanning your computer. *If you are using the free version you may chose to create a copy or perform a one-time scan.
3. When the HitmanPro scan is complete click the Next button.
4. To activate the free version of HitmanPro: enter your email address twice and click the Activate button.
5. Click the Reboot button.
3. Manually remove MyTransitGuide extension
1. Click the Customize and control Google Chrome icon and go to More tools > Extensions.
2. Search for the MyTransitGuide extension in the list and click the trashcan icon.
1. Open the Menu and click Add-ons.
2. Search for the MyTransitGuide add-on and click Remove.
Microsoft Internet Explorer
1. Go to Tools (Alt+X) and click Manage add-ons.
2. Search for the MyTransitGuide add-on in the list, select it with your mouse, and click Remove.
1. Go to Safari > Preferences > Extensions.
2. Search for the unwanted extension in the list and click the Uninstall button.
4. Cleanup and repair settings with CCleaner
2. Open CCleaner and go to the main Cleaner screen. Click the Analyze button. When the process is complete, click the Run Cleaner button on the bottom right of the program interface.
3. Go to Tools > Startup and search for suspicious entries in each tab starting from Windows all the way to Content Menu. If you find anything suspicious click it and click the Delete button to remove it.
4. Go to the Registry window and click the Scan for Issues button. When the scan is complete click the Fix selected issues… button and click Fix All Selected Issues.