What is myPrivate?
myPrivate virus is a term used by many to identify adware and a browser hijacker that essentially hijacks your homepage, search engine, and browser shortcut in order to show you commercial search results. The program will also generate pop-up advertisements across Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Microsoft Edge and Internet Explorer, and Apple Safari.
myPrivate adware injects the webpages you visit in your browser with pop-up advertisements that say Ads By myPrivate on them. The advertisements can be displayed across multiple internet browsers that are installed on the PC, including Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Apple Safari, and Microsoft Internet Explorer and Edge.
|Names||myPrivate, myPrivate virus|
|Detection Categories||Adware, Potentially Unwanted Program (PUP)|
|Publisher’s Description||With myPrivate you can search the web without tracking your search history or any personally identifiable information|
|Symptoms||Changes your browser settings to http://www.eanswers.com/myprivate/|
|Quick Detection & Removal Tool||Click Here To Download Malwarebytes|
Browser extensions in the Google Chrome repository usually publicly display certain tasks they can perform. The myPrivate extension for Google Chrome has permission to read and change all your data on the websites you visit and change your privacy-related settings. However, it is uncommon for a legitimate Google Chrome browser extension to leave out information about how it will change the homepage, search engine, and new tab page once installed.
How to remove myPrivate (Virus Removal Guide)
- Scan your computer with Malwarebytes
- Scan your computer with HitmanPro
- Uninstall myPrivate and unwanted programs
- Remove unwanted add-ons and extensions
- Cleanup and repair settings with CCleaner
1. Scan your computer with Malwarebytes
2. Open Malwarebytes and click the Scan Now button – or go to the Scan tab and click the Start Scan button.
3. Once the Malwarebytes scan is complete click the Remove Selected button.
4. To finish the Malwarebytes scan and remove detected threats click the Finish button and restart your computer if promoted to do so.
2. Scan your computer with HitmanPro
2. Open HitmanPro and click Next to start scanning your computer. *If you are using the free version you may chose to create a copy or perform a one-time scan.
3. Once the HitmanPro scan is complete click the Next button.
4. To activate the free version of HitmanPro: enter your email address twice and click the Activate button.
5. Click the Reboot button.
3. Uninstall myPrivate and unwanted programs
1. Open Windows Start Menu and go to the Control Panel.
2. In the Programs section click Uninstall a program. In earlier versions of Windows this is listed as “Add and remove programs.”
3. Search for myPrivate Supporting Application in the list and double click it.
4. Once you have uninstalled myPrivate, search for other unwanted programs that may be installed on your computer and uninstall them as well.
4. Remove unwanted add-ons and extension
1. Click the Customize and control Google Chrome icon and go to More tools > Extensions.
2. Search for the unwanted extension in the list and click the trashcan icon.
1. Open the Menu and click Add-ons.
2. Search for the unwanted add-on and click Remove.
Microsoft Internet Explorer
1. Go to Tools (Alt+X) and click Manage add-ons.
2. Search for the unwanted add-on in the list, select it with your mouse, and click Remove.
1. Go to Safari > Preferences > Extensions.
2. Search for the unwanted extension in the list and click the Uninstall button.
5. Cleanup and repair settings with CCleaner
2. Open CCleaner and go to the main Cleaner screen. Click the Analyze button. When the process is complete, click the Run Cleaner button on the bottom right of the program interface.
3. Go to Tools > Startup and search for suspicious entries in each tab starting from Windows all the way to Content Menu. If you find anything suspicious click it and click the Delete button to remove it.
4. Go to the Registry window and click the Scan for Issues button. When the scan is complete click the Fix selected issues… button and click Fix All Selected Issues.