Remove MusixMuze (Virus Removal Guide)
Remove MusixMuze (Virus Removal Guide)
MusixMuze (also searched for as MusixMuze virus or MusixMuze search virus) is the title of a publisher that has developed several browser plugins including the MusixMuze Search and Search By MusixMuze extensions for Google Chrome. The MusixMuze browser extension is used to change the homepage (startpage) and default search engine of affected internet browsers. In turn, the MusixMuze extension will cause affected internet browsers to redirect to musixmuze.searchalgo.com, search.yahoo.com, and other webpages when you search the web using the browser address bar or when you press M and Tab in the address bar.
Although this browser extension is often referred to as the “MusixMuze virus” it is not technically defined as computer viruses or malware. The extension is essentially categorized by internet security products and malware analysts as a potentially unwanted program (PUP) that engages in misleading marketing tactics and hijack internet browser settings and direct users to sponsored search engines.
- What is MusixMuze?
- How to uninstall MusixMuze
- How to remove MusixMuze with Malwarebytes
- MusixMuze removal tips
What is MusixMuze?
MusixMuze is promoted as free browser extensions that will help you find showtimes, watch trailers, browse photos, track your must-see list and rate your favorite movies and TV shows. However, in return, the MusixMuze extension will read and change all your data on the websites you visit, communicate with cooperating websites, and change your search settings to musixmuze.searchalgo.com, search.yahoo.com, and other webpages.
MusixMuze and programs like it are usually contracted without knowledge. MusixMuze is often bundled inside third-party software downloaders and bundlers. It may arrive on a computer system once other programs have been introduced to the machine. Software that MusixMuze may bundle with includes freeware, shareware, and dubious torrent files.
Many victims have complained of unwanted pop-up ads caused by third-party adware. Adware associated with MusixMuze display ‘targeted’ style advertisements. This means that the adware will manufacture advertisements based off of your personal browsing data, such as your bookmarks and history.
As previously mentioned, MusixMuze is not technically defined as a computer virus but this adware type program and browser plugin is still a threat to your privacy and can be the sign of a severe malware infection. The internet security community strongly recommends that you remove MusixMuze if you find it installed on your machine or attached to your internet browser as a browser add-on or extension and use reputable Antivirus or Anti-Malware software to eradicate any existing malicious files.
- MusixMuze Search bundles with other potentially unwanted programs and malware.
- MusixMuze Search is usually bundled inside or advertised by third-party freeware installers, download managers, and dubious torrent files.
- Adware that may arrive alongside MusixMuze Search injects the webpages you visit with pop-up and in-text advertisements.
- MusixMuze Search changes existing Windows settings and schedules new tasks allowing the plugin and associated programs to run every time Windows starts.
- MusixMuze Search will launch at system startup and continue to run in the background even once Google Chrome is closed.
- The Search By MusixMuze extension for Google Chrome can read and change all your data on the websites you visit.
- The Search By MusixMuze extension for Google Chrome can communicate with cooperating websites.
- The Search By MusixMuze extension for Google Chrome will change your search settings to: musixmuze.searchalgo.com, search.yahoo.com, and other webpages.
How to uninstall MusixMuze
1. Open Windows Start/Task Menu and go to the Control Panel.
2. Click Uninstall a program (or Add and remove program) in the Programs section.
3. Search for MusixMuze in the list of installed programs and select it with your mouse, then click Uninstall. You can also double click MusixMuze to uninstall it.
[note align=”left”]If you do not find MusixMuze in your list of installed program you may need to uninstall additional programs that may have bundled with it.[/note]
1. Click the Customize and control Google Chrome icon and go to More tools > Extensions.
2. Search for MusixMuze Search in the list and click the trashcan icon next to it.
1. Open the Menu and click Add-ons.
2. Search for the MusixMuze Search add-on and click Remove next to it.
1. Go to Safari > Preferences > Extensions.
2. Search for the MusixMuze Search extension in the list and click the Uninstall button next to it.
How to remove MusixMuze with Malwarebytes
1. Download and install Malwarebytes Anti-Malware software.Download Malwarebytes
2. Launch Malwarebytes Anti-Malware software once it has finished installing.
3. Make sure that Malwarebytes has been updated. To ensure it is updated click Update Now on the Dashboard.
4. Click the large Scan Now button on the dashboard to perform a scan with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware software.
5. When the scan is complete click the Remove Selected button and then click the Finish button or restart your computer if Malwarebytes suggests that you do so.
MusixMuze removal tips
- If you do not find MusixMuze in your list of installed programs you may need to uninstall additional programs. Additional programs may include suspicious titles that may have been contracted around the same time or after the initial infection.
- If you are still having issues removing MusixMuze you should use a second opinion scanner such as HitmanPro 3. HitmanPro 3 is the best second opinion scan and removal tool. It can be used to locate and remove remaining threats.