How to remove MovixMuze (Virus Removal Guide)
MovixMuze (also searched for as MovixMuze virus or Movix Muze) is the name of a questionable publisher and title of several programs and browser extensions, including the Search By MovixMuze extension for Google Chrome. The Search By MovixMuze browser extension is often promoted by potentially malicious advertising platforms on malicious websites and suspicious software bundlers and download managers associated with freeware and dubious applications. This means that MovixMuze might attach to your internet browser without your consent or knowledge and alongside third-party potentially unwanted programs, adware type programs, and malware. Once the MovixMuze extension has attached to your internet browser it will replace existing internet browser settings including the homepage, new tab, and default search engine causing affected internet browsers to redirect to movixmuze.searchalgo.com, search.yahoo.com and other websites when you search the web using the browser address bar.
What is MovixMuze?
Search By MovixMuze is promoted as a free browser application that gives you access to a database of celebrity content, tv series, and movies.
Aside from causing browser redirects to ask.com and other websites, the MovixMuze extension and adware it may bundle with or be promoted with generate deceptive and intrusive pop-up ads across Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer, and Safari. The ads are defined as ‘targeted’ ads because they use your personal browsing information (including all your data on the websites you visit) to produce advertisements it feels you are most likely to click on. The adware basically ‘targets’ you based off your current and past browsing habits.
MovixMuze adware is not technically defined as a computer virus but this adware is still a threat to your privacy and can be the sign of a severe malware infection. The internet security community strongly recommends that you remove MovixMuze if you find it installed on your machine or attached to your internet browser as a browser add-on or extension and use reputable Antivirus or Anti-Malware software to eradicate any existing malicious files.
How did MovixMuze get on my computer?
MovixMuze and programs like it are usually contracted without knowledge. MovixMuze is often bundled inside third-party software downloaders and bundlers. It may arrive on a computer system once other programs have been introduced to the machine. Software that MovixMuze adware may bundle with includes freeware, shareware, and dubious torrent files.
[fancy_box title=”MovixMuze overview”]
- MovixMuze bundles with other potentially unwanted programs and malware.
- MovixMuze is usually bundled inside installers and downloaders distributed as dubious torrents or as freeware programs distributed by websites similar to download.com and softonic.com.
- MovixMuze injects visited webpages with pop-up and in-text advertisements.
- MovixMuze makes unwanted changes to existing Windows settings and schedules new tasks which allow it to run every time Windows starts and check to see if the program has been disabled. If the program is disabled it will enable itself.
- The Search By MovixMuze extension for Google Chrome can read and change your data on the websites you visit.
- The Search By MovixMuze extension for Google Chrome can change your search settings to: movixmuze.searchalgo.com.
How to remove MovixMuze virus
[list style=”pointer” color=”red”]
- Option 1: Automatically remove MovixMuze virus with Malwarebytes
- Option 2: Manually remove MovixMuze
Option 1: Automatically remove MovixMuze virus with Malwarebytes
1. Download and install Malwarebytes Anti-Malware software.
[button link=”https://store.malwarebytes.org/342/cookie?affiliate=23046&redirectto=http%3a%2f%2fdownloads.malwarebytes.org%2ffile%2fmbam%2f&redirecthash=79CD12ECAB939D32967B5D05C6C86E32″ align=”center” bgcolor=”#ff0000″ hoverbgcolor=”#c71414″ hovertextcolor=”#ffffff” textcolor=”#ffffff” size=”large” style=”flat” fullwidth=”false”]Download “MovixMuze” removal tool[/button]
2. Launch Malwarebytes Anti-Malware software once it has finished installing.
3. Make sure that Malwarebytes has been updated. To ensure it is updated click Update Now on the Dashboard.
4. Click the large Scan Now button on the dashboard to perform a scan with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware software.
5. When the scan is complete click the Remove Selected button and then click the Finish button or restart your computer if Malwarebytes suggests that you do so.
[note align=”left”]If you are still having issues removing MovixMuze we suggest that use a second opinion scanner such as HitmanPro 3 to locate and remove any computer infection that may be present. You may also proceed to option 2 below and view our additional tips to remove MovixMuze.[/note]
Option 2: Manually remove MovixMuze
How to uninstall MovixMuze
1. Open Windows Start Menu and go to the Control Panel.
2. Click Uninstall a program (or Add and remove program) in the Programs section.
3. Search for MovixMuze in the list of installed programs and select it with your mouse, then click Uninstall. You can also double click MovixMuze to uninstall it.
[note align=”left”]If you do not find MovixMuze in your list of installed program you may need to uninstall additional programs that may have bundled with it. You can view our additional tips to remove MovixMuze below.[/note]
How to remove MovixMuze add-ons and extensions
1. Click the Customize and control Google Chrome icon and go to More tools > Extensions.
2. Search for the Search By MovixMuze extension in the list and click the trashcan icon.
1. Open the Menu and click Add-ons.
2. Search for the Search By MovixMuze add-on and click Remove.
1. Go to Safari > Preferences > Extensions.
2. Search for the Search By MovixMuze extension in the list and click the Uninstall button.
[note align=”left”]If you do not find MovixMuze in your list of add-ons and extensions you may need to remove additional attachments that may have bundled with it. You can view our additional tips to remove MovixMuze below.[/note]
MovixMuze virus removal tips
- If you do not find MovixMuze in your list of installed programs you may need to uninstall additional programs. Additional programs may include suspicious titles that may have been contracted around the same time or after the initial infection.
- If you are still having issues removing MovixMuze you should use a second opinion scanner such as HitmanPro 3. HitmanPro 3 is the best second opinion scan and removal tool. It can be used to locate and remove remaining threats.