LightningDownloader (LightningDownloader virus, Lightning Downloader) is an advertisement-supported potentially unwanted program that usually enters a computer system alongside other unwanted programs and malware without user knowledge. The LightningDownloader program will install in the background. Once installed a desktop icon will be created to launch the program and internet users will eventually become bombarded with ads by LightningDownloader and additional adware that it bundles with.
What is LightningDownloader?
LightningDownloader is promoted as a free “downloader” that can help users download files and videos using their URL and file path.
This program is sometimes referred to as the LightningDownloader virus although it is not technically defined as a computer virus. Even though this program is not a computer virus it is still a threat and realistic privacy concern. One main privacy concern with this program is that it generates what are known as ‘targeted’ advertisements and targeted advertisements can only be produced by the adware if the unwanted program has obtained unauthorized access to personal browsing data including all browsing activities, bookmarks, and browser history.
Furthermore, LightningDownloader bundles with other potentially unwanted programs, malware, and malicious threats. In order to get rid of ads by LightningDownloader and stop other unwanted symptoms it will probably be necessary to uninstall multiple programs and remove multiple browser add-ons and extensions from Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer, and Safari.
Third-party programs and malware that can bundle with LightningDownloader adware will cause other issues aside from pop-up advertisements. Other issues include unwanted browser redirects to sponsored webpages, decreased computer productivity, and decreased internet speed.
LightningDownloader adware and the additional programs that it bundles with also manufacture new tasks and change existing Windows start-up settings in order to run every time the operating system starts and remain enabled if disabled by the user. Programs and browser attachments that may arrive with this deceptive piece of adware can also cause other issues for computer and internet users aside from pop-up advertisements, including browser redirections and a loss in computer functionality and internet connectivity.
Even though the LightningDownloader virus is not technically defined as a computer virus or malicious parasite, the unwanted program is still a threat or the sign of a very severe computer infection. Since LightningDownloader is known to download and install alongside third-party malware, malicious files, and additional potentially unwanted programs, including browser hijackers like mys.yoursearch.me, it will be necessary to uninstall multiple programs and remove multiple browser objects in order to stop all unwanted activities caused by this program and others from occurring. Apart from manually eradicating the program and others that it bundles with, files may remain undetected to the average computer user. That is why the professional internet security community recommends to use a reputable anti-malware product to remove LightningDownloader and malicious files that it may bundle with.
How did LightningDownloader get on my computer?
LightningDownloader adware and the programs and potential threats that it bundles with are usually contracted without user consent alongside freeware, shareware, torrent files, and other downloadable content.
Computer and internet users who seek to download and install free items online may be presented with an opportunity to accept or decline a custom offer to install LightningDownloader adware and other programs. The offer may claim that this program can be used to enhance your online shopping experience. However, the request to decline LightningDownloader adware from installing is often presented in a very deceptive manner, which can make it confusing for a computer user to avoid. In some cases, the download manager may completely ignore the user request to decline LightningDownloader from installing and the adware will install against user consent and knowledge.
How to remove LightningDownloader (Removal Guide)
[list style=”pointer” color=”red”]
- Step 1: Remove LightningDownloader extensions
- Step 2: Uninstall LightningDownloader from Windows
- Step 3: Remove LightningDownloader virus with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware
- Step 4: Cleanup and repair settings with CCleaner by Piriform
- For Tech Support Call: 1-888-986-8411
Step 1: Remove LightningDownloader extensions
We recommend that you write down the toll free number below in case you run into any issues or problems while removing this infection. Our techs will kindly assist you with any problems.
Virus Removal Helpline
[button link=”tel:1-888-986-8411″ align=”center” bgcolor=”#ff0000″ hoverbgcolor=”#e31616″ hovertextcolor=”#ffffff” textcolor=”#ffffff” size=”large” style=”border” fullwidth=”true”]Click to call![/button]
1. Click the Customize and control Google Chrome icon on the top menu and navigate to More tools > Extensions.
2. Search for the LightningDownloader extension in the list. Remove unwanted browser extensions individually by clicking the trashcan icon next to each one.
1. Type Ctrl+Shift+A.
2. Search for the LightningDownloader add-ons on the Extensions and Plugin tab. Highlight each one individually and click remove.
1. Click Safari and go to Preferences > Extensions.
2. Find the LightningDownloader extension in the list and click the Uninstall button.
Step 2: Uninstall LightningDownloader from Windows
1. Open Windows Start Menu and go to the Control Panel.
2. On Windows Control Panel, click Uninstall a program or Add and remove a program in the Programs section.
3. Search for LightningDownloader and other unwanted programs in the list of installed programs. Once an unwanted program is located, double click the item or select it with your mouse and click the Uninstall button. If you can not find this program in the list of installed program please see steps 3 and 4 below.
Step 3: Remove LightningDownloader virus with Malwarebytes
1. Download and install the free or full version of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. The full version enables real-time protection to block malware and unwanted programs from infecting your computer, while the free version is just a free scan and removal tool.
[button link=”https://store.malwarebytes.org/342/cookie?affiliate=23046&redirectto=http%3a%2f%2fdownloads.malwarebytes.org%2ffile%2fmbam%2f&redirecthash=79CD12ECAB939D32967B5D05C6C86E32″ align=”center” bgcolor=”#ff0000″ hoverbgcolor=”#0015ff” hovertextcolor=”#ffffff” textcolor=”#ffffff” size=”large” style=”flat” fullwidth=”true”]Download Malwarebytes Free[/button][button link=”https://store.malwarebytes.org/342/?affiliate=23046&scope=checkout&cart=139724″ align=”center” bgcolor=”#ff0000″ hoverbgcolor=”#0015ff” hovertextcolor=”#ffffff” textcolor=”#ffffff” size=”large” style=”flat” fullwidth=”true”]Buy Premium Now[/button]
2. Open the Malwarebytes Anti-Malware program.
3. Click the large Scan Now button or visit the “Scan” tab to manually run a scan.
4. When the malware scan is complete you will be directed to a list of threats found by the program including PUP.Optional.LightningDownloader.A. Click the Remove Selected button, click the Finish button, and reboot your computer when promoted to do so.
Step 4: Cleanup and repair settings with CCleaner
1. Download and install the free or full version of CCleaner by Piriform.
[button link=”https://secure.piriform.com/502/cookie?affiliate=23046&redirectto=https%3a%2f%2fwww.piriform.com%2fccleaner%2fdownload%2fstandard” align=”center” bgcolor=”#ff0000″ hoverbgcolor=”#0015ff” hovertextcolor=”#ffffff” textcolor=”#ffffff” size=”large” style=”flat” fullwidth=”true”]Download CCleaner Free[/button]
[button link=”https://secure.piriform.com/502/cookie?affiliate=23046&redirectto=https%3a%2f%2fwww.piriform.com%2fccleaner%2fdownload%2fprofessional” align=”center” bgcolor=”#ff0000″ hoverbgcolor=”#0015ff” hovertextcolor=”#ffffff” textcolor=”#ffffff” size=”large” style=”flat” fullwidth=”true”]Buy Professional Now[/button]
2. Open the program and go to Cleaner and click the Analyze button. After files and have been analyzed, click the Run Cleaner button on the bottom right of the program interface.
3. Go to Registry and click Scan for Issues. When the scan is complete click Fix selected issues… and then click the Fix All Selected Issues button.
4. Go to to Tools > Startup and search through each tab starting from Windows, Internet Explorer, all the way to Context Menu, for additional suspicious entries and click Delete once anything suspicious is found to remove it.