InstaTime is a computer-based application that allegedly enables access to your Instagram account from your Desktop or Laptop device. The program is often distributed by parties who utilize very deceptive and misleading advertisements in order to trick victims into installing the program. Some advertisements that promote InstaTime will claim that the program is a “Flash Player update” or button to watch or download a streaming video; all of which are false. InstaTime advertisements are commonly found on media related websites such as video streaming websites and torrenting websites, as well as others. The program may also be offered as a bundle or custom install alongside third-party programs including adware, potentially unwanted programs, and malware.
This program was introduced to our machine through a series of very misleading advertisements. The initial advertisement claimed to be a “Download” button on a streaming video. This is pictured below. When the button was clicked a new page opened that instructed us to install InstaTime.
After this program was installed various threats were introduced to our test machine which were detected by Malwarebytes Anti-Malware software including the file used to execute the installation.
Uninstalling this program through the Control Panel is not enough to entirely remove it and the threats it bundles with. The results shown above were detected after this program was manually uninstalled from our test machine. Files will still remain on your computer including files that can track your online behavior.
|Name(s)||InstaTime – Instagram for Desktop, InstaTime virus *This program is not a computer virus|
|Publisher Description||InstaTime is a computer-based application, enabling access to your Instagram account from your Desktop or Laptop device. InstaTime is not another Instagram account. When you use Instagram for PC and your phone, you are simply accessing the same account on these two devices.|
|Third-Party Symptoms||Advertisements in the web browser
Redirects to sponsored webpages
Decreased internet speed and performance
Decreased computer functionality and performance
Bundles with malware and other potentially unwanted programs
|Third-Party Detection Categories||Potentially Unwanted Program (PUP)|
|Third-Party Detection & Removal Tool||Click Here To Download Malware Removal Tool (Malwarebytes)|
InstaTime Removal Instructions
These InstaTime removal instructions will help you completely remove InstaTime, viruses, malware, and other threats from your computer. Please follow the steps in order. No purchase is necessary. All reputable programs we recommend are entirely free to download and use as instructed in this guide.
- Scan your computer with Malwarebytes
- Scan your computer with HitmanPro
- Uninstall InstaTime and unwanted programs
- Remove InstaTime and unwanted browser add-ons
- Cleanup and repair settings with CCleaner
1. Scan your computer with Malwarebytes
The first step to remove this program and third-party threats is to download and install Malwarebytes Anti-Malware software in order to perform a full system scan for malicious files.
2. Open Malwarebytes and click the Scan Now button or go to the Scan tab and click the Start Scan button.
3. When the Malwarebytes scan is complete click the Remove Selected button.
4. To finish the Malwarebytes scan and remove detected threats click the Finish button and restart your computer if promoted to do so.
2. Scan your computer with HitmanPro
The second step to remove this program and third-party threats is to download and install a second opinion scanner called HitmanPro by Surfright in order to perform a full system scan for malicious files.
2. Open HitmanPro and click Next to start scanning your computer. *If you are using the free version you may chose to create a copy or perform a one-time scan.
3. When the HitmanPro scan is complete click the Next button.
4. To activate the free version of HitmanPro: enter your email address twice and click the Activate button.
5. Click the Reboot button.
3. Uninstall InstaTime and unwanted programs
The third step to remove this program and third-party threats is to uninstall InstaTime and other unwanted programs in Windows Control Panel.
1. Open Windows Start Menu and go to the Control Panel.
2. In the Programs section click Uninstall a program. In earlier versions of Windows this is listed as “Add and remove programs.”
3. Search for InstaTime in the list and double click it.
4. Once you have uninstalled InstaTime search for other unwanted programs that may be installed on your computer and uninstall them as well.
4. Remove InstaTime and unwanted browser add-ons
The fourth step to remove this program and third-party threats is to remove unwanted browser add-ons and extensions from Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Microsoft Internet Explorer, and Apple Safari.
1. Click the Customize and control Google Chrome icon and go to More tools > Extensions.
2. Search for the unwanted extension in the list and click the trashcan icon.
1. Open the Menu and click Add-ons.
2. Search for the unwanted add-on and click Remove.
Microsoft Internet Explorer
1. Go to Tools (Alt+X) and click Manage add-ons.
2. Search for the unwanted add-on in the list, select it with your mouse, and click Remove.
1. Go to Safari > Preferences > Extensions.
2. Search for the unwanted extension in the list and click the Uninstall button.
5. Cleanup and repair settings with CCleaner
The fifth step to remove this program and third-party threats is to download and install CCleaner by Piriform in order to delete leftover junk files, tracking cookies, registry entries, unwanted start-up tasks, and more.
2. Open CCleaner and go to the main Cleaner screen. Click the Analyze button. When the process is complete, click the Run Cleaner button on the bottom right of the program interface.
3. Go to Tools > Startup and search for suspicious entries in each tab starting from Windows all the way to Content Menu. If you find anything suspicious click it and click the Delete button to remove it.
4. Go to the Registry window and click the Scan for Issues button. When the scan is complete click the Fix selected issues… button and click Fix All Selected Issues.