What is Win32.downloader.gen (Trojan horse)?
The Win32.downloader.gen trojan is a generic trojan or generic description from Antivirus companies such as Microsoft, Avira, and ESET of unknown Trojans which are detected by their Antivirus heuristic engine. In other words, Win32.downloader.gen is either a generic trojan or unidentified trojan horse. You may have noticed a quarantined file that says “win32.downloader.gen” after a scan or as a notification from your software. If so, it is recommended to quarantine the infection (by selecting “Move to quarantine“), and following the below removal guide further below to ensure deletion.
Win32.downloader.gen is essentially a Trojan horse, also referred to as the Win32.downloader.gen virus, that remains undetected on a computer system, waits for an available internet connection, and then proceeds with it’s primary, secondary, or other routine. The routines fulfilled by the Windows downloader.gen Trojan horse may include the unauthorized installment of malware and other malicious payloads. It should also be noted, the Win32.downloader.gen allows cybercriminals complete access and control of a computer system as if they are sitting right behind it.
How does the Win32.downloader.gen Trojan infect a computer?
- The Win32.downloader.gen trojan is distributed via malicious websites that host malware (drive-by-download) or legitimate websites that have been compromised. Even hijacked Facebook accounts can spam a link that contains this particular Win32.downloader.gen Trojan infection.
- Another common method used to propagate this type of malware is email spam that contains malicious links. The Win32.downloader.gen threat may also be downloaded manually by tricking the user into thinking they are installing a useful piece of software.
- The Win32.downloader.gen virus is also persistent on peer-to-peer file sharing websites and is often packaged with pirated or illegally acquired software, including torrents and codecs.
Use the instructions below to remove the downloader.gen trojan from your computer.
How to remove Win32.downloader.gen Trojan
- Automatic removal – Malwarebytes Anti-Malware free or full version
- Automatic removal (Troubleshooting) – Malwarebytes Chameleon Technology
1. Automatic removal – Malwarebytes Anti-Malware
The instructions below detail how to remove the generic Windows downloader Trojan using Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.
1. Install the free or paid version of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.
2. Once Malwarebytes is installed, run the program. If you are using the free version of Malwarebytes you will be prompted to update the database, make sure to do so.
3. On the first tab labeled “Scanner” select the Perform full scan option and click the Scan button to perform a full system scan. Malwarebytes will automatically detect malware infecting the computer system.
4. Once the malware scan is complete, Malwarebytes may prompt a notice stating malicious objects were detected. Select the malicious objects and click the Remove Selected button to completely remove the malicious files from your computer (the image below shows a file that is NOT selected) or click the Delete button to remove quarantined files.
2. Automatic removal (Troubleshooting)
Malwarebytes Chameleon technologies will allow you to install and run Malwarebytes Anti-Malware without being blocked by Win32.downloader.gen.
1. Download Malwarebytes Chameleon and extract it to a folder in a convenient location such as your desktop. Open the Malwarebytes Chameleon folder and double click the file that says svchost.exe.
If Malwarebytes Chameleon will not open, double-click on another file until you find one will work, which will be indicated by a black DOS/command prompt window.
2. Follow the onscreen instructions on the black command screen and press a key to continue. Chameleon will start to download and install Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for you. Once complete, it Malwarebytes Anti-Malware will update, and you may be promoted with a window that says the database updated successfully. Click OK.
3. Malwarebytes Anti-Malware will now start to kill known malicious processes associated with the Win32.downloader.gen virus. This may take up to ten minutes.
4. Next, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware will automatically open and start to perform a Quick scan for Win32.downloader.gen malicious files (pictured below).
5. Once the scan is complete, click on Show Result to visit a screen showing you the malware infections that Malwarebytes Anti-Malware has detected.
6. Make sure that everything is selected in the list of malicious files (clicked),then click on the Remove Selected button.
7. After your computer restarts, it is important to open the Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and perform a Full System scan to verify that there are no remaining threats associated with the Win32.downloader.gen Trojan.