How to remove Webwise Adware – Webwise removal instructions (Adware.Webwise)
Webwise (Adware.Webwise), sometimes referred to as the Webwise virus is potential malware categorized as adware developed by Phorm (
Phorm.com) that analyzes and distributes user internet browsing activity in order to display tailored pop-up, banner, drop-menu, and pop-under advertisements when users visit specific websites. Webwise and similar advertisement serving platforms may utilize browser hijackers to ‘infect’ a computer system and change existing internet browser settings.
Webwise adware is hosted by an Internet Service Provider (ISP) and does not require an application to be installed to a computer in order to display Webwise ads, including browser add-ons, browser helper objects (BHOs), and extensions, alike similar adware including Webcake. Your Internet Service Provider may provide methods to activate or deactivate Webwise advertisements. In some cases third-party ISPs partner with Webwise and Phorm in order to generate additional income by displaying third-party advertisements.
Is Webwise (Adware.Webwise) safe?
Webwise is low risk adware that raises concerns in relations to the invasion of privacy. Users have reported excessive email spam, junk mail, and telephone calls from telemarketers concerning internet browsing activity. Furthermore, advertisements displayed by Webwise may promote unethical and non-beneficial software such as scareware like Attentive Antivirus.
If you are expericing unwanted Webwise advertisements while browsing the web, please use the instructions to remove Webwise adware and third-party malware from your computer.
How to remove the Webwise virus
- Automatically remove Webwise malware – Scan for and automatically remove Webwise and third-party malware
- Manually remove Webwise – Remove/Uninstall Webwise software and third-party malware (if necessary)
1. Automatic Webwise removal
Use the instructions below to automatically remove Webwise and third-party malware, as well as automatically remove unwanted search engines from your installed internet browsers.
1. Install the free or paid version of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.
2. Once Malwarebytes is installed, run the program. If you are using the free version of Malwarebytes you will be prompted to update the database, make sure to do so.
3. On the first tab labeled “Scanner” select the Perform full scan option and click the Scan button to perform a full system scan. Malwarebytes will automatically detect malware infecting the computer system.
4. Once the malware scan is complete, Malwarebytes may prompt a notice stating malicious objects were detected. Select the malicious objects and click the Remove Selected button to completely remove the malicious files from your computer (the image below shows a file that is NOT selected) or click the Delete button to remove quarantined files.
CCleaner can be used to automatically repair internet browser settings startup up settings, and uninstall Webwise and associated third-party software.
1. Install the free or paid version of CCleaner by Piriform.
2. Once installed, open the program and navigate to Cleaner > Windows/Applications and click the Analyze button. Afterwards, click the Run Cleaner button on the bottom right of the program interface.
3. Next, navigate to Tools > Startup and search through each tab starting from windows, internet explorer, etc., all the way to Content Menu, for additional suspicious entries and click Disable and Delete once anything is found.
4. To automatically uninstall Webwise and other unwanted programs, navigate to the Uninstall tab and search for Webwise, etc. in the list of installed programs. Uninstall the unwanted software as selected by clicking the Run Uninstaller button.
2. Manual Webwise removal
Use the instructions below to manually uninstall Webwise adware and third-party software using generic Microsoft Windows removal procedures.
How to uninstall Webwise (Adware.Webwise)
1. Access Windows Start Menu and navigate to the Control Panel.
2. Click Uninstall a program or Add and remove a program.
3. In the list of installed programs search for Webwise and other potentially unwanted software. Once located, double click the unwanted programs or highlight them in the list and click the Uninstall button.
How to remove Webwise add-ons and extensions
Use the instructions to remove Webwise add-ons, extensions, plug-ins, and toolbars. Please note, it may be necessary to remove multiple third-party items.
1. Click on the Customize icon (wrench or 3 bar icon) next to the address bar and navigate to Tools > Extensions.
2. Search for the Webwise extension and remove it by clicking the trashcan icon next to them.
1. Type Ctrl+Shift+A.
2. On the Extensions and Plugin search for the Webwise add-on and remove it.
Microsoft Internet Explorer
1. Click Tools and select Manage add-ons.
2. On the Toolbars and Extensions tab search for the Webwise add-on and remove it if located.