What is We-Care Reminder (We-care.com)?
We Care Reminder, otherwise known as the We Care virus or we-care.com virus is potential malware, categorized as a browser hijacker that engages in social engineering in order to appear like a legitimate and trustworthy source by claiming to provide donations for revenue earned through purchases on their website and services used. We-Care items installs to computer systems as an add-on, browser helper object, and extension under various titles including ASPCA Tri Reminder by We-Care.com v22.214.171.124, SaveTheChildren Reminder by We-Care.com, and We-Care Reminder.
The We-Care browser hijacker is reported to install to a computer system with or without consent (1. Malwarebytes) and change existing internet browser settings of popular internet browsers such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, and Internet Explorer, among other cause other problems. The We-Care hijacker and related third-party malware (that may have installed alongside the initial item) changes the homepage, default search engine, and other settings, which causes infected internet browsers to redirect to we-care.com and other websites.
We-Care Reminder and other we-care.com products are also known to collect and distribute sensitive user information including data on all websites and complete browsing activity. Information collected may include home phone numbers, telephone numbers, credit information, bank information, social security numbers, and more. The collected information may be used in crimes relating to credit theft, extortion, and identity theft.
The information may also be used to include users to marketing and mailing lists without their consent or knowledge. In some cases, victims have reported “targeted” email spam, junk mail, and telephone calls from telemarketers concerning their recent internet browser activity. In other cases, victims have reported telephone calls from scam artists in attempt to defraud victims by using collected information.
We-Care Reminder and relating software is also reported to be difficult to uninstall (2. Microsoft). In many cases, uses have reported missing files used to uninstall the item, in which third-party software was needed to remove We-Care malware.
We Care doesn’t care about blatantly using invasive and unethical tactics many experts define as malicious to get their application on users computers. The main object of the website and browser attachment is to generate money for the company at all costs.This means donations as low as 0% to 2% on purchases made in the we-care.com shop. The notion of using small donations to generate income via affiliate links without being directly clear about what items are considered for donation and how low the amount of donations is also seen as an unethical tactic that may fall under social engineering and involve entrapment. If you wish to make safe donations to organizations, visit the organizations website such as the ASPCA.
How does We-Care malware infect a computer?
We-care.com software primarily gets onto a computer alongside third-party downloadable items such as freeware or shareware. If you recently downloaded free software, chances are a We-Care product bundled with the item without your consent. In some cases, users are given the opportunity to accept or decline an offer to install We-Care Reminder and other products with current downloads. Reports indicate that even if users decline the offer to install We-Care, the item and other malware will install without consent or knowledge.
We-care software such ash We-Care Reminder can even be manually and voluntarily installed from a variety of websites such as the unfortunately unethical download.com website and we-care.com. Installing the software from such websites will install additional third-party malware to the computer system including Conduit Search.
How to remove We-Care Reminder
- Automatically remove We-Care Reminder malware – Scan for and automatically remove We-Care Reminder and related malware
- Manually remove We-Care Reminder – Remove/Uninstall We-Care Reminder software and third-party malware
1. Automatic We-Care Reminder removal
Use the instructions below to automatically remove the We-Care Reminder browser hijacker and third-party malware, as well as automatically remove unwanted search engines from your internet browsers.
1. Install the free or paid version of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.
2. Once Malwarebytes is installed, run the program. If you are using the free version of Malwarebytes you will be prompted to update the database, make sure to do so.
3. On the first tab labeled “Scanner” select the Perform full scan option and click the Scan button to perform a full system scan. Malwarebytes will automatically detect malware infecting the computer system.
4. Once the malware scan is complete, Malwarebytes may prompt a notice stating malicious objects were detected. Select the malicious objects and click the Remove Selected button to completely remove the malicious files from your computer (the image below shows a file that is NOT selected) or click the Delete button to remove quarantined files.
CCleaner can be used to automatically repair internet browser settings startup up settings, and uninstall We-Care Reminder and associated third-party software.
1. Install the free or paid version of CCleaner by Piriform.
2. Once installed, open the program and navigate to Cleaner > Windows/Applications and click the Analyze button. Afterwards, click the Run Cleaner button on the bottom right of the program interface.
3. Next, navigate to Tools > Startup and search through each tab starting from windows, internet explorer, etc., all the way to Content Menu, for additional suspicious entries and click Disable and Delete once anything is found.
4. To automatically uninstall We-Care Reminder and other unwanted programs, navigate to the Uninstall tab and search for We-Care Reminder, etc. in the list of installed programs. Uninstall the unwanted software as selected by clicking the Run Uninstaller button.
2. Manual We-Care Reminder removal
Use the instructions below to manually uninstall We-Care Reminder and third-party software using generic Microsoft Windows removal procedures.
How to uninstall We-Care Reminder
1. Access Windows Start Menu and navigate to the Control Panel.
2. Click Uninstall a program or Add and remove a program.
3. In the list of installed programs, search for We-Care Reminder (various titles) and other potentially unwanted software. Once located, double click the unwanted programs or highlight them in the list and click the Uninstall button.
How to remove We-Care Reminder add-ons and extensions
Use the instructions to remove We-Care Reminder add-ons, extensions, and plug-ins. Please note, it may be necessary to remove multiple third-party titles.
1. Click on the Customize icon (wrench or 3 bar icon) next to the address bar and navigate to Tools > Extensions.
2. Search for the We-Care Reminder extension and remove it by clicking the trashcan icon next to them.
1. Type Ctrl+Shift+A.
2. On the Extensions and Plugin search for the We-Care Reminder add-on and remove it.
Microsoft Internet Explorer
1. Click Tools and select Manage add-ons.
2. On the Toolbars and Extensions tab search for the We-Care Reminder add-on and remove it if located.