The WinPcap virus is a term for potential malware categorized as a browser hijacker and spyware that primarily infects a computer system without user consent or knowledge, often alongside or inside third-party items and malicious software in order to corrupt browser settings, collect information relating to third-party network traffic, and harvest user information.
WinPcap can often be used maliciously in regards to advanced cracking relative the the invasion of privacy and cyber crimes including credit theft, extortion, and identity theft. If WinPcap is on your system without your consent it is strongly recommended to uninstall the program and associated malware immediately using the removal instructions further below.
What is WinPcap?
WinPcap is a packet capture and filtering engine of many open source and commercial network tools, including protocol analyzers, network monitors, network intrusion detection systems, sniffers, traffic generators and network testers. WinPcap consists of a driver, that extends the operating system to provide low-level network access, and a library that is used to easily access the low-level network layers.
How does the WinPcap virus infect a computer system?
WinPcap can get onto a computer system via free downloadable content such as freeware or shareware. Chances are if you recently installed software from download.com, WinPcap was included without your consent or knowledge.
WinPcap can also be manually and voluntarily installed from websites such as
http://www.winpcap.org and is often used properly as a network tool by ethical parties. In some instances, a network engineer may have installed and used WinPcap on a computer system, in which the application was not removed.
How to remove the WinPcap virus
- Automatically remove WinPcap malware – Scan for and automatically remove WinPcap and third-party malware
- Manually remove WinPcap – Uninstall WinPcap software and third-party malware
1. Automatic WinPcap removal
Use the instructions below to automatically remove the WinPcap hijacker and third-party malware, as well as automatically remove unwanted search engines from your internet browsers.
1. Install the free or paid version of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.
2. Once Malwarebytes is installed, run the program. If you are using the free version of Malwarebytes you will be prompted to update the database, make sure to do so.
3. On the first tab labeled “Scanner” select the Perform full scan option and click the Scan button to perform a full system scan. Malwarebytes will automatically detect malware infecting the computer system.
4. Once the malware scan is complete, Malwarebytes may prompt a notice stating malicious objects were detected. Select the malicious objects and click the Remove Selected button to completely remove the malicious files from your computer (the image below shows a file that is NOT selected) or click the Delete button to remove quarantined files.
CCleaner can be used to automatically repair internet browser settings startup up settings, and uninstall WinPcap and associated third-party software.
1. Install the free or paid version of CCleaner by Piriform.
2. Once installed, open the program and navigate to Cleaner > Windows/Applications and click the Analyze button. Afterwards, click the Run Cleaner button on the bottom right of the program interface.
3. Next, navigate to Tools > Startup and search through each tab starting from windows, internet explorer, etc., all the way to Content Menu, for additional suspicious entries and click Disable and Delete once anything is found.
4. To automatically uninstall WinPcap and other unwanted programs, navigate to the Uninstall tab and search for WinPcap, etc. in the list of installed programs. Uninstall the unwanted software as selected by clicking the Run Uninstaller button.
2. Manual WinPcap removal
Use the instructions below to manually uninstall WinPcap and third-party software using generic Microsoft Windows removal procedures.
How to uninstall WinPcap
1. Access Windows Start Menu and navigate to the Control Panel.
2. Click Uninstall a program or Add and remove a program.
3. In the list of installed programs search for WinPcap and other potentially unwanted software. Once located, double click the unwanted programs or highlight them in the list and click the Uninstall button.
How to remove WinPcap add-ons and extensions
Use the instructions to remove WinPcap related add-ons, extensions, plug-ins, and toolbars. Please note, it may be necessary to remove multiple third-party items.
1. Click on the Customize icon (wrench or 3 bar icon) next to the address bar and navigate to Tools > Extensions.
2. Search for the WinPcap extension and remove it by clicking the trashcan icon next to them.
1. Type Ctrl+Shift+A.
2. On the Extensions and Plugin search for the WinPcap add-on and remove it.
Microsoft Internet Explorer
1. Click Tools and select Manage add-ons.
2. On the Toolbars and Extensions tab search for the WinPcap add-on and remove it if located.
To ensure that WinPcap is completely removed from your computer or to manually remove WinPcap files you may search for and delete these files and folders listed below if located:
C:\Program Files\WinPcap\rpcapd.exe C:\Program Files\WinPcap\LICENSE C:\Program Files\WinPcap\uninstall.exe C:\windows\system32\Packet.dll C:\windows\system32\pthreadVC.dll C:\windows\system32\wpcap.dll C:\windows\system32\drivers\npf.sys C:\windows\system32\wpcap.dll C:\windows\system32\Packet.dll C:\Program Files\WinPcap\