Walmart App – Walmart virus
The Walmart App is a non-beneficial application promoted by Pokki that is not entirely malicious but uses unethical techniques to access a computer system and causes many problems for computer users. For general purpose the Walmart App is defined as malware in the adware and spyware categories. The Walmart App is not a computer virus but is sometimes referred to as the Walmart App virus or Walmart virus.
Most users report that the Walmart App downloaded and installed without consent and that the application is very difficult to remove (uninstall). In most cases the Walmart App is visible in the list of programs in the Windows Uninstaller interface; however, the stubborn application will not uninstall when using correct procedures. Instead the items such as Pokki Toolbar on Windows Start Menu must be deactivated (pictured below) in order to access the system correctly and the Walmart app must be manually removed by opening the uninstall file located in the applications folder (User > AppData >Local > Pokki > Engine and click the Uninstall file).
The Walmart App is essentially a Pokki application that is defined as non-beneficial due to the fact that it is just a smaller and less convenient version of Warlmart.com.
The Walmart App also raises concerns in relations to Pokki in that related parties and items used to promote the application collect and distribute sensitive user information including your name, home address, telephone number, email address, and especially information users manually submit online while Walmart App is installed including usernames, passwords, credit card details, bank account information, social media content, and more. Related parties may include users to marketing and mailing lists without their consent or knowledge. Victims have reported unwanted email spam, junk mail, phone calls from telemarketers at home, and more (often relating to recent internet browser activity and history).
An unethical tactic user by Pokki is that when users voluntarily download and install Walmart App, the unwanted Pokki application, start menu, and more will install. This makes it very difficult to navigate through a Windows 7 or Windows 8 operating system as it often locks the start menu and task bar, alters normal settings, and changes Windows Start Menu. This leads some to belie that Walmart App is a virus.
How does the Walmart App get onto a computer?
The Walmart App can be manually and voluntarily downloaded from a variety of websites though most victims report that it may install without consent or use exotic techniques to attach to Microsoft Windows.
Walmart App may also bundle with third-party freeware and shareware. During the installation process of some items users may be given the opportunity to accept or decline an offer to download and install the Walmart App. However, the request to deny installation is often ignored or represented in a colluding manner.
How to remove the Walmart virus
- Automatically remove Walmart App malware – Scan for and automatically remove unwanted software and third-party malware
- Manually remove Walmart App – Remove/Uninstall Walmart App promoted software and third-party malware (if necessary)
1. Automatic Walmart App removal
Use the instructions below to automatically remove Walmart malware and third-party unwanted software, as well as automatically remove unwanted search engines from your installed internet browsers.
1. Install the free or paid version of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.
2. Once Malwarebytes is installed, run the program. If you are using the free version of Malwarebytes you will be prompted to update the database, make sure to do so.
3. On the first tab labeled “Scanner” select the Perform full scan option and click the Scan button to perform a full system scan. Malwarebytes will automatically detect malware infecting the computer system.
4. Once the malware scan is complete, Malwarebytes may prompt a notice stating malicious objects were detected. Select the malicious objects and click the Remove Selected button to completely remove the malicious files from your computer (the image below shows a file that is NOT selected) or click the Delete button to remove quarantined files.
CCleaner can be used to automatically repair internet browser settings startup up settings, and uninstall Walmart App, Pokki, Pokki helper, and associated third-party software.
1. Install the free or paid version of CCleaner by Piriform.
2. Once installed, open the program and navigate to Cleaner > Windows/Applications and click the Analyze button. Afterwards, click the Run Cleaner button on the bottom right of the program interface.
3. Next, navigate to Tools > Startup and search through each tab starting from windows, internet explorer, etc., all the way to Content Menu, for additional suspicious entries and click Disable and Delete once anything is found.
4. To automatically uninstall Walmart App, Pokki, Pokki Download Helper, and other unwanted programs, navigate to the Uninstall tab and search for Walmart App, etc. in the list of installed programs. Uninstall the unwanted software as selected by clicking the Run Uninstaller button.
2. Manual Walmart App removal
Use the instructions below to manually uninstall Walmart App and third-party software using generic Microsoft Windows removal procedures.
How to uninstall Walmart App (Pokki)
1. Access Windows Start Menu and navigate to the Control Panel.
2. Click Uninstall a program or Add and remove a program.
3. In the list of installed programs search for Walmart App, Pokki, Pokki Download Helper, and other potentially unwanted software. Once located, double click the unwanted programs or highlight them in the list and click the Uninstall button.
Troubleshooting: Using the uninstall file procedure
- If you can not access Windows Uninstaller, please see the video further above to disable Pokki Toolbar and access the start menu appropriately or navigate to User > AppData > Local > Pokki > Engine and click the Uninstall file.
How to remove unwanted add-ons and extensions
Use the instructions to remove unwanted add-ons, extensions, plug-ins, and toolbars. Please note, it may be necessary to remove multiple third-party items.
1. Click on the Customize icon (wrench or 3 bar icon) next to the address bar and navigate to Tools > Extensions.
2. Search for the unwanted extension and remove it by clicking the trashcan icon next to them.
1. Type Ctrl+Shift+A.
2. On the Extensions and Plugin search for the unwanted add-on and remove it.
Microsoft Internet Explorer
1. Click Tools and select Manage add-ons.
2. On the Toolbars and Extensions tab search for the Pokki add-on and remove it if located.