What is Sweetdreams-49 Toolbar (malware)?
Sweetdreams-49 Toolbar is potential malware, categorized as a browser hijacker, commonly referred to as the Sweetdreams virus, developed by Conduit that has been reported to change internet browser settings without user consent, such as the home page (start page) and default search engine, causing unwanted browser redirections to the SweetDreams 49 search engine, which is actually search.conduit.com, and other websites. Sweetdreams-49 malware may also change internet browser shortcuts making Sweetdreams-49 Toolbar and related third-party malware difficult to completely remove, as well as display unwanted advertisements or associate with adware used to display potentially malicious adverts in the form of pop-ups, drop-down menus, and pop-under adberts. Since this is often the case, we have listed multiple steps to remove the Sweetdreams-49 hijack and third-party malware from your computer.
Sweetdreams-49 Toolbar malware is a problem for many internet users as the unwanted browser helper object (BHO) has been reported to install without consent, bundle with third-party “bloatware,” and cause other issues relating to cyber criminal activity and the invasion of privacy. In some cases victims of Sweetdreams-49 and third-party malware reported excessive email spam, junk mail, and even telephone calls from telemarketers and scam artists. It can be concluded that Sweetdreams-49 and related parties may harvest sensitive user information, especially user data manually submitted online while the Sweetdreams-49 Toolbar is attached. Information may include usernames, passwords, bank account information, credit information, home addresses, and more. This toolbar and third-party items are also known to keep records of complete user browser activity.
The Sweetdreams 49 search engine, also referred to as the SweetDR search engine may display irrelevant search results and sponsored search results that may promote unethical software, such as fraudulent computer security software and fake online Flash Players. It is recommended to avoid clicking links or images on the Sweetdreams-49 search page
How does Sweetdreams-49 malware infect a computer?
Sweetdreams-49 Toolbar and associated malware primarily infect computer systems alongside downloadable content such as freeware, shareware, codecs, and even torrents. If you recently downloaded items from websites such as download.com, chances are Sweetdreams-49 Toolbar bundled with the downloaded object(s) without consent in order to unethically monetize free products utilizing the confusion and misfortune of internet users and website visitors.
How to remove Sweetdreams-49 Toolbar
- Automatically remove Sweetdreams-49 Toolbar malware – Scan for and automatically remove Sweetdreams 49 and third-party malware
- Manually remove Sweetdreams-49 Toolbar – Remove/Uninstall Sweetdreams-49 Toolbar software and third-party malware
1. Automatic Sweetdreams-49 Toolbar removal
Use the instructions below to automatically remove the Sweetdreams-49 Toolbar hijacker and third-party malware, as well as automatically remove unwanted search engines from your home page, default search engine, browser shortcuts, and other hijacked settings.
1. Install the free or paid version of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.
2. Once Malwarebytes is installed, run the program. If you are using the free version of Malwarebytes you will be prompted to update the database, make sure to do so.
3. On the first tab labeled “Scanner” select the Perform full scan option and click the Scan button to perform a full system scan. Malwarebytes will automatically detect malware infecting the computer system.
4. Once the malware scan is complete, Malwarebytes may prompt a notice stating malicious objects were detected. Select the malicious objects and click the Remove Selected button to completely remove the malicious files from your computer (the image below shows a file that is NOT selected) or click the Delete button to remove quarantined files.
CCleaner can be used to automatically repair internet browser settings startup up settings, and uninstall Sweetdreams-49 Toolbar and associated third-party software.
1. Install the free or paid version of CCleaner by Piriform.
2. Once installed, open the program and navigate to Cleaner > Windows/Applications and click the Analyze button. Afterwards, click the Run Cleaner button on the bottom right of the program interface.
3. Next, navigate to Tools > Startup and search through each tab starting from windows, internet explorer, etc., all the way to Content Menu, for additional suspicious entries and click Disable and Delete once anything is found.
4. To automatically uninstall ISweetdreams-49 Toolbar and other unwanted programs, navigate to the Uninstall tab and search for ISweetdreams-49 Toolbar, products by Conduit, etc. in the list of installed programs. Uninstall the unwanted software as selected by clicking the Run Uninstaller button.
2. Manual Sweetdreams-49 Toolbar removal
Use the instructions below to manually uninstall Sweetdreams-49 Toolbar and third-party software using generic Microsoft Windows removal procedures.
How to uninstall Sweetdreams-49 Toolbar malware
1. Access Windows Start Menu and navigate to the Control Panel.
2. Click Uninstall a program or Add and remove a program.
3. In the list of installed programs, search for Sweetdreams-49 Toolbar and other potentially unwanted software. Once located, double click the unwanted programs or highlight them in the list and click the Uninstall button.
How to remove Sweetdreams-49 Toolbar add-ons and extensions
Use the instructions to remove Sweetdreams-49 Toolbar add-ons, extensions, and plug-ins. Please note, it may be necessary to remove multiple third-party titles.
1. Click on the Customize icon (wrench or 3 bar icon) next to the address bar and navigate to Tools > Extensions.
2. Search for the Sweetdreams-49 Toolbar extension and remove it by clicking the trashcan icon next to them.
1. Type Ctrl+Shift+A.
2. On the Extensions and Plugin search for the Sweetdreams-49 Toolbar add-on and remove it.
Microsoft Internet Explorer
1. Click Tools and select Manage add-ons.
2. On the Toolbars and Extensions tab search for the Sweetdreams-49 Toolbar add-on and remove it if located.