What is the Searchek.com redirection virus?
The Searchek.com redirection virus is malware categorized as a browser hijacker. Searchek.com affects mobile and PC internet browser settings including the Home Page and Provided Search Engine. When provided search engines are changed, internet searches and URLs typed into the browser address bar redirect to unpleasant websites. In this case, the browser redirects to searchek.com, paideia-program.searchalk.com, and domains associated with searchek.com.
*The image above is a fake screenshot I manufactured on PhotoShop (note the Oops! – Chrome could not find a page). Searchek does not have an exact landing page.
Browser hijackers commonly send searches through their network which may contain malicious websites and search links. Victims affected by searchek.com have reported that their redirections are experienced alongside adware symptoms such as popups and in-text style advertisements. What’s worse is that links provided may contain third party malware, viruses, and Trojans.
1. Anti-Malware Software (Remove/Troubleshoot Malware)
2. System Restore (Remove/Troubleshoot Malware)
Perform a system restore to an automatic restore point created by Window’s each week and during system updates.
This can be very helpful if you suspect a severe malware infection, or have complications removing the searchek.
2. Repair Home Page
How to remove searchek.com from your home page.
1. Click Tools and select Options.
2. On the General tab remove searchek.com and click Restore to Default or add you preferred URL.
Microsoft Internet Explorer
1. Click Tools and select Internet Options.
2. On the General tab remove searchek.com and click Restore to Default or add your preferred URL.
1. Click on the Wrench or 3 bar icon next to the address bar and select Settings.
2. Under the On startup section click Set pages.
3. Click the X next to searchek.com and add your preferred URL, then click OK.
4. Repair Provided Search Engines
How to stop redirecting to searchek.com.
1. Click the small search arrow or magnify glass near the search bar at the top of the browser.
2. Select Manage search engines…
3. Search for and select searchek.com, click remove.
Microsoft Internet Explorer
1. Click Tools and select Manage add-ons.
2. Navigate to the Search Providers list.
3. Select searchek.com and click the Remove button.
1. Click the 3 bar or wrench settings icon and select Settings.
2. In the Search section select the Manage search engines… button.
3. Remove searchek.com by clicking the X next to it when selected, then click OK.
If searchek.com is set as the default search engine, add another search engine (such as Google.com) and set it default before removing searchek.com by selecting it (Google.com) and clicking the “make default” transparent blue box that appears when highlighted (pictured below).
5. Clear Cache And Cookies
It’s always recommended to delete your browser data after visiting malicious and suspicious websites. Searchek.com and other hijackers upload cookies onto computer systems allowing the perps to collect, store, and track information such as browser activity. You can remove your browser cache and cookie files in your browser’s preference or settings options.