What Is The FBDownloader Virus (Search.fbdownloader.com Redirect)?
The FBDownloader virus is a common term used to describe FBDownloader malware, also referred to as the FBDownloader redirect virus. The FBDownloader virus is malware categorized as a browser hijacker that changes existing browser settings without permission of the computer owner and user, causing infected internet browsers to redirect to search.fbdownloader.com, start.fbdownloader.com, home.fbdownloader.com, and other fbdownloader.com web addresses, as well as associated third party domain names. The FBDownloader virus also changes the home page of affected browsers, which in turn causes browsers to start up on search.fbdownloader.com and similar addresses detailed above.
A more severe symptom of the FBDownloader virus is that, FB Downloader allows the installment of unwanted third party malware, software, computer tools, and browser attachments. Third parties may include adware and spyware platforms, or other parasites that allow additional payloads to download to a computer without permission.
If your computer is showing signs of the FBDownloader virus, such as constant redirections to the search.fbdownloader.com website while attempting to search the web using the address bar, or if you have voluntarily installed the FBDownloader malware application and are having complications removing FBDownloader please use the instructions provided in this article to detect FBDownloader and third party malware and remove the parasites completely. After malware has been removed, if necessary, repair your internet browser settings to normal.
Is FBDownloader Safe To Download And Use?
No, FBDownloader is not safe to use. FBDownloader uses social engineering to entrap victims to their’s and their sponsors terms, which includes the additional installment of malware, and collection of sensitive information, including browser activity and history. Please note, third parties may utilize separate tactics that include collecting severe-sensitive information such as credit card numbers, identification numbers, stored data, and more.
Once FBDownloader is on a computer, aside from the hijacked browser settings, the FBDownloader program works alike spyware to collect data and send it to remote locations. FBDownloader is currently allowed to publicly do this because of their unethical terms of service, though technically this tactic is defined as entrapment.
If attempting to install FBDownloader malware, you will be prompted by setup windows persuading users to set search.fbdownloader.com as the default browser for IE, Firefox, and Chrome, etc. Even if the options to install additional software and change settings is not checked, FBDownloader has been reported to ignore the manual setting, install software and change settings anyways (once again, their unethical terms allow this).
Invasion Of Facebook Privacy
FBDownloader is allegedly used to backup photos, consolidate photos, and download albums, but once the FBDownloader program is installed, the program asks to connect to a Facebook account.
FBDownloader may post on your behalf and view your information once the connection to Facebook is initiated. It has also been reported that FBDownloader may use such accounts to boost their reputation and leave fake reviews with their user’s Facebook accounts on a variety of platforms, including their own Facebook page.
How To Remove The FBDownloader Virus – Search.fbdownloader.com
- Antivirus & Anti-Malware Software – Scan, detect, and remove FBDownloader and third party malware
- System Restore – Restore computer to date and time before issues
- Uninstall FBDownloader – Windows Uninstaller
- Remove FBDownloader Browser Attachment
- Remove Search.fbdownloader.com From Home Page - (If necessary)
- Remove search.fbdownloader.com Search Engine - Stop redirect (If necessary)
- Safe Mode With Networking – Troubleshoot internet access and remove malware
- Manually Remove FBDownloader (Advanced) – Remove FBDownloader process, files, and entries
1. Antivirus & Anti-Malware Software
Instructions: 1. Install Malarebytes 2. Update the software 3. Perform full scan(Image).
Malwarebytes will detect and remove additional malware from your computer, but if you do not wish to use software or FBDownloader removal tools, please see further instructions below. Also note, if you have removed malware affecting your system using Malwarebytes, you may still need to repair your internet browser settings.
2. System Restore
Perform a system restore to an automatic restore point created by Window’s each week and during system updates. This can be used to remove new installments of software including FBDownloader and additional malware used to accommodate the program. A System Restore is an easy solution to remove parasites from a computer system, as well as change registry settings to normal.
System Restores can be used to remove entire installments of new software without harming your computer, nor deleting any data such as documents and media files (images, videos).
3. Uninstall FBDownloader
How To Uninstall FBDownloader (Windows Control Panel)
1. Navigate to Windows Start Menu > Control Panel.
2. Click Uninstall a Program or Add/Remove Programs in the Programs section.
3. Search for FBDownloader in the list of installed programs. Once located, double click FBDownloader in the list to uninstall it, or select it, right click, and click Uninstall. If prompted with Do you want to restore your previous browser settings (search engine/homepage – if any)? select Yes.
4. If necessary, once FBDownloader is uninstalled, search for and delete the fbdownloader.exe file from your computer. Please note, this file is only an executable file and is not malicious but initiating the file will install the FBDownloader virus to the computer system.
4. Remove FBDownloader Browser Attachment
How to remove FBDownloader add-ons and exensions.
1. Click Tools and select Add-ons (Ctrl+Shift+A) or click Firefox in the top left corner and select Add-ons.
2. On the Extensions and Plugin search for FBDownloader and additional third party add-ons and remove them.
Microsoft Internet Explorer
1. Click Tools and select Manage add-ons.
2. On the Toolbars and Extensions tab search for FBDownloader and additional third party add-ons and remove them.
1. Click on the Customize icon (wrench or 3 bar icon) next to the address bar and navigate to Tools > Extensions.
2. Search for FBDownloader and additional third party extensions. Remove the extensions by clicking the trashcan icon adjacent to the add-on/extension/toolbar.
5. Remove Search.fbdownloader.com From Home Page
CCleaner ↔ Install
An alternative recommendation is to use a program such as CCleaner to repair all browser settings at once with productive accuracy.
1. Install CCleaner.
2. Navigate to Cleaner > Windows/Applications and click the Analyze button. Afterwards, click the Run Cleaner button on the bottom right of the program interface.
Manually Remove Search.fbdownloader.com From Home Page
In Google Chrome click the customize icon (wrench or 3 bars) and navigate to Settings. Click “Set pages” under the On startup option. Remove ssearch.fbdownloader.com and replace it with your preferred URL.
In Mozilla Firefox navigate to Tools > Options or click Firefox in the top left corner and click Options > Options. Under the General tab remove search.fbdownloader.com from the “Home Page:” field and replace it with your preferred home page.
In Microsoft Internet Explorer navigate to Tools >Internet Options. Remove search.fbdownloader.com from the Home Page field and replace it with your preferred URL.
6. Remove Search.fbdownloader.com Search Engine
CCleaner ↔ Install
1. Install CCleaner.
2. Navigate to Tools > Startup and search through each tab starting from windows, internet explorer, etc., all the way to Content Menu, for additional suspicious entries and click Disable and Delete once anything is found.
Manually Remove Search.fbdownloader.com Search Engine
In Google Chrome, click the customize icon (wrench or 3 bars) and navigate to Settings > Manage search engines… click the X next to search.fbdownloader.com to remove it as your search engine. If search.fbdownloader.com is set as the default search engine add or select a new search engine and select the new search engine as the default search engine, then remove reimage.com.
In Mozilla Firefox, click the small search magnify glass near the search box (not url/search field) and click “Manage Search Engines…”. Remove search.fbdownloader.com from the list of search providers by highlighting the selections and clicking remove.
In Microsoft Internet Explorer navigate to Tools > Manage Add Ons > Search Providers and remove the malicious search.fbdownloader.com search engine from the list.
7. Safe Mode With Networking
Safe Mode with Networking can be used to troubleshoot internet access (Safe Mode can be used to simply access the system) and install software to remove the search.fbdownloader.com redirect virus and third party malware.
1. Restart your computer.
2. Before Window’s launches tap the F8 key constantly to access the appropriate menu. Use the keyboard arrow keys to navigate to and highlight the Safe Mode with Networking option and press ENTER.
3. You can now access the internet to install legitimate software to remove FBDownloader related mawlare and third party malware from your computer.
8. Manually Remove FBDownloader (Advanced)
Stop FBDownloader Process
1. Access Window’s Task Manager typing Ctrl+Shift+Esc.
2. Find and remove the FBDownloader process.
Remove FBDownloader Files
Search for and delete FBDownloader related files in Local Disk C, mainly found in the system32 folder.
C:\Windows\SysWOW64\notepad.exe C:\Windows\system32\wbem\wmiprvse.exe C:\Windows\System32\random.exe
Repair And Remove FBDownloader Registry Entries
1. Access Window’s Registry Editor by navigating to the Start Menu and typing regedit into the search bar, followed by pressing Enter.
2. If you are not experienced with repairing or removing Registry entries, keys, etc, please do not proceed. Search for FBDownloader registry entries below and remove them.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\FeatureControl\FEATURE_ERROR_PAGE_BYPASS_ZONE_CHECK_FOR_HTTPS_KB954312 HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings "WarnOnHTTPSToHTTPRedirect" = 0 HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System "DisableRegedit" = 0 HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System "DisableRegistryTools" = 0 HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System "DisableTaskMgr" = 0 HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run "Inspector".