How to remove the SaltarSmart virus – Removal instructions
SaltarSmart virus (Saltar Smart Deals)
The SaltarSmart virus (also found as the Saltar Smart virus; though not technically a computer virus) is malware categorized as adware and a browser hijacker that infects a Microsoft Windows computer system and attaches to Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, and Microsoft Internet Explorer as a browser add-on, browser helper object, and extension without user consent. Once SaltarSmart malware is installed, the item begins to display unwanted advertisements that can be identified by text that say SaltarSmart Ads, SaltarSmart, etc.
SaltarSmart advertisements can appear in many forms including pop-up, pop-under, banners, coupons, in-text, and more. Most of the time SaltarSmart pop-ups will attempt to display coupons for searched items or deals for currently viewed online products. SaltarSmart may also illegally appear on a variety of websites without owner consent. Once a program that is used to display these unwanted advertisements is installed to a computer system and/or attached to internet browsers it will begin to change Microsoft Windows start-up settings and internet browser settings. Furthermore unwanted applications used to promote SaltarSmart ads may intrude user privacy and ruin a computer’s functionality and internet browsing experience (causing browser redirections and transforming homepages).
SaltarSmart malware and associated third-party items have also been reported to collect and distribute user information to third-parties. Some users have reported an increase in email spam received, junk mail, and have even complained of unwanted telephone calls from telemarketers.
- Some SaltarSmart and related third-party ads have been reported to contain or promote malicious or questionable content including non-beneficial Windows security software.
- SaltarSmart may be difficult to uninstall and welcome third-party malware to a computer system.
How does SaltarSmart malware get onto a computer?
SaltarSmart primarily bundles with third-party software including freeware and shareware. In some scenerios during the installation process of third-party items users may be given the opportunity to accept or decline an offer to install unwanted items; however, the request to decline the offer is often ignored or presented in a colluding manner.
How to remove SaltarSmart malware
- Automatically remove SaltarSmart - Scan for and automatically remove SaltarSmart and third-party malware
- Manually remove SaltarSmart - Remove/Uninstall SaltarSmart software and third-party malware (if necessary)
1. Automatic SaltarSmart virus removal
Use the instructions below to automatically remove SaltarSmart ads and third-party malware, as well as automatically remove unwanted search engines from your installed internet browsers.
1. Install the free or paid version of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.
2. Once Malwarebytes is installed, run the program. If you are using the free version of Malwarebytes you will be prompted to update the database, make sure to do so.
3. On the first tab labeled “Scanner” select the Perform full scan option and click the Scan button to perform a full system scan. Malwarebytes will automatically detect malware infecting the computer system.
4. Once the malware scan is complete, Malwarebytes may prompt a notice stating malicious objects were detected. Select the malicious objects and click the Remove Selected button to completely remove the malicious files from your computer (the image below shows a file that is NOT selected) or click the Delete button to remove quarantined files.
CCleaner can be used to automatically repair internet browser settings startup up settings, and uninstall SaltarSmart adware and associated third-party software.
1. Install the free or paid version of CCleaner by Piriform.
2. Once installed, open the program and navigate to Cleaner > Windows/Applications and click the Analyze button. Afterwards, click the Run Cleaner button on the bottom right of the program interface.
3. Next, navigate to Tools > Startup and search through each tab starting from windows, internet explorer, etc., all the way to Content Menu, for additional suspicious entries and click Disable and Delete once anything is found.
4. To automatically uninstall SaltarSmart and other unwanted programs, navigate to the Uninstall tab and search for SaltarSmart, etc. in the list of installed programs. Uninstall the unwanted software as selected by clicking the Run Uninstaller button.
2. Manual SaltarSmart virus removal
Use the instructions below to manually uninstall SaltarSmart adware and third-party software using Microsoft Windows removal procedures.
How to uninstall SaltarSmart adware
1. Access Windows Start Menu and navigate to the Control Panel.
2. Click Uninstall a program or Add and remove a program.
3. In the list of installed programs search for SaltarSmart and other potentially unwanted software. Once SaltarSmart malware is located, double click the unwanted program(s) or highlight them in the list and click the Uninstall button.
How to remove SaltarSmart add-ons and extensions
Use the instructions to remove SaltarSmart Toolbar add-ons, extensions, plug-ins, and toolbars. Please note, it may be necessary to remove multiple third-party items.
1. Click on the Customize icon (wrench or 3 bar icon) next to the address bar and navigate to Tools > Extensions.
2. Search for the SaltarSmart extension and remove it by clicking the trashcan icon next to them.
1. Type Ctrl+Shift+A.
2. On the Extensions and Plugin search for the SaltarSmart add-on and remove it.
Microsoft Internet Explorer
1. Click Tools and select Manage add-ons.
2. On the Toolbars and Extensions tab search for the SaltarSmart add-on and remove it if located.