How To Remove The Reimage Virus (Search.reimageplus.com, Reimage.com) – Uninstall Reimage PC Repair Scareware
What Is The Reimage Virus (Search.Reimageplus.com, Reimage.com)?
Reimage (Reimageplus), often referred to as the Reimage PC Repair virus, Reimage Repair virus, Reimageplus virus, or simply the Reimage virus, is malware categorized as Scareware (Reimage PC Repair, fraudulent PC Repair software), that utilizes unethical tactics and malicious browser attachments, such as the Reimage Smartbar, Reimage Community Smartbar, Reimage Customized Web Search, Reimage Windows Problem Relief PC Repair, and malicious third party browser add-ons, extensions, plug-ins, and Toolbars to infect a computer system and operate a series of attacks, including symptoms of rogue software and browser hijacker malware.
How Does Reimage Infect A Computer System? Reimage Dangers & Symptoms
- Reimage, Reimage.com, Reimageplus.com, and associated fraudulent software and websites maliciously claim to be legitimate PC Repair software that allegedly revives the life of your PC, restores peak performance, and recovers Windows with essential fresh files and can be voluntarily downloaded from a variety of unethical sources including Reimage.com, Reimageplus.com, CNET Downloads (Download.com), and related web pages. Once Reimage PC Repair software is installed, Reimageplus entraps victims to install the Reimage Smartbar and third party malware.
- Reimage PC Repair software and the Reimage Smartbar also infect a computer system and internet browser without permission, often alongside bundled software including freeware, shareware, torrents, and general malware.
- Reimage compromises malware classifications with malicious payloads and gives no benefit to the computer system. Reimage uses social engineering to cause shock or spread the false feeling of fear to unsuspecting computer users by generating the perception of a computer issue or threat. In other words, the Reimage PC Repair software displays fake issues, includings analyzations, data compilations, diagnostics security checks, stability checks, and other computer issues. The Reimage PC repair software also does not optimize a computer, download legitimate files, repair necessary registry entries, nor remove computer viruses without installing additional malware to the computer system that may be undetected.
- The free Reimage PC Repair software scans the computer with detail and uses social engineering by displaying fake results in the form of Stability Issues, Security Threats, Registry (issues), and Windows Damage Severity ratings to frighten and/or persuade unsuspecting victims into purchasing an extended license by activating the software often stating the messages below in order to persuade unsuspecting victims to purchase software they do not need. Please note, Reimage does not repair any “fake” issues unless the unsuspecting user clicks “Start Repair” and purchases the product.
Malicious software found on your PC may compromise your privacy and data.
All instances of these threats will be removed (After repair). These viruses compromise your personal data and documents. You are at risk as long as these files remain on your PC.
- Reimage PC Repair also may also display a link that reads Attention: Analysis complete. Problems detected! Start Repair >, and clicking this link will lead to a shopping cart to purchase an Annual PR Repair Plan for 69.95 or 99.95 USD a year.
- Once the Reimage software is installed onto the computer system, or the reimage.exe file is initiated, Reimage will attach to Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, and Microsoft Internet Explorer.
- Reimage.com and related Reimage websites display pop-up advertisements that may be difficult to disable.
- Reimage websites have a long history of hosting malware and viruses. It has once been said Reimage at best is a scam and at worst a virus.
- Reimage utilizes spam techniques and black-hat tactics to boost their reputation on various social networks and sites like MYWOT. If you visit their Facebook page, you will notice a large amount of detailed fake Facebook profiles leaving many outrageous complements.
- Reimage technitians may use alternative tactics to scam unsuspecting users such as phone calls and online chats. This is often done in attempt to make a remote connection to the computer.
What Is Reimage Smartbar?
The Reimage Smartbar is a custom toolbar, categorized as a browser hijacker that infects computer systems primarily without direct permission alongside third party malware and Reimage products. Many security experts referr to the Reimage Smartbar as spyware, since it is reported to be used to collect personal information including browser activity and history, as well as sensitive data such as credit card numbers, identification numbers, and online passwords.
The Reimage Smartbar may attach to popular internet browser and remain undetected or may appear at the top of the internet browser. In instances where victims of the Reimage virus are redirecting to reimage.com, search.reimage.com, and related websites, the Reimage Smartbar may not be visually present, but is located in the browser’s add-ons and extensions settings.
Browser Redirects To Search.Reimage.com Or Search.Reimageplus.com
The Reimage virus changes existing internet browser settings including the browser’s default search engine, provided search engine, or managed search engine. This is the internet browser’s internal search engine that is used to perform searches in the browser’s address bar or omni bar.
When victims of the Reimage virus attempt to search the web using the browser’s address bar, they will redirect to reimage.com, search.reimage.com, home.reimage.com, start.reimage.com, 1.reimage.com, default.reimage.com, smartbar.reimage.com, smartsearch.reimage.com, reimageplus.com, search.reimageplus.com, home.reimageplus.com, start.reimageplus.com, other domanis related to Reimage, and third party domain names associated, hijacked, or sponsored by Reimage and related malware.
To stop your browser from redirecting to search.reimageplus.com. search.reimage.com, and related websites please use the steps provided below.
Search.Reimage.com Or Search.Reimageplus.com Home Page Hijack
The most noticeable symptom of the Reimage virus is the hijacked home page. Browsers affected by Reimage malware will start up on Reimage websites including search.reimage.com and search.reimageplus.com.
Removing reimage.com websites from the home page of infected internet browsers has also been reported to be difficult, cause problems, or destroy computer funtionality.
- Antivirus & Anti-Malware Software – Scan, detect, and remove Reimage PC Repair software and third party malware
- System Restore – Restore computer to date and time before issues
- Uninstall Reimage PC Repair Scareware – Windows Uninstaller
- Remove Reimage Smartbar Browser Attachment
- Remove Search.reimageplus.com, Reimage.com From Home Page - (If necessary)
- Remove Reimage Search Engine - Stop redirect (If necessary)
- Safe Mode With Networking – Troubleshoot internet access and remove malware
- Manually Remove Smart Security (Advanced) – Remove Smart Security process, files, and entries
1. Antivirus & Anti-Malware Software
Instructions: 1. Install Malarebytes 2. Update the software 3. Perform full scan(Image).
2. System Restore
Perform a system restore to an automatic restore point created by Window’s each week and during system updates, including Reimage PC Repair software. A System Restore is an easy solution to remove parasites from a computer system, as well as change registry settings to normal.
System Restores can be used to remove entire installments of new software without harming your computer, nor deleting any data such as documents and media files (images, videos).
3. Uninstall Reimage PC Repair Scareware
How To Uninstall Reimage PC Repair (Windows Control Panel)
1. Navigate to Windows Start Menu > Control Panel.
2. Click Uninstall a Program or Add/Remove Programs in the Programs section.
3. Search for Reimage PC Repair, Reimage Repair, and Reimage Community, in the list of installed programs. Once located, double click Reimage PC Repair in the list to uninstall it, or select it, right click, and click Uninstall. Pay attention to the uninstall process in case Reimage attempts to prompt additional installments of third party software.
4. If necessary, once Reimage is uninstalled, delete the reimagerepair.exe file.
4. Remove Reimage Smartbar Browser Attachment
Before removing the Reimage Smartbar, make sure the Reimage Smartbar program has been uninstalled from your computer system. If Smartbar is uninstalled first, it may not be necessary to remove the browser attachment as he BHO or attachment will not be present prior to removing the primary software.
1. Click Tools and select Add-ons (Ctrl+Shift+A) or click Firefox in the top left corner and select Add-ons.
2. On the Extensions and Plugin search for Reimage Smartbar, other Reimage products, and additional third party add-ons and remove them.
Microsoft Internet Explorer
1. Click Tools and select Manage add-ons.
2. On the Toolbars and Extensions tab search for Reimage Smartbar, other Reimage products, and additional third party add-ons and remove them.
1. Click on the Customize icon (wrench or 3 bar icon) next to the address bar and navigate to Tools > Extensions.
2. Search for Reimage Smartbar, other Reimage products, and additional third party extensions. Remove the extensions by clicking the trashcan icon adjacent to the add-on/extension/toolbar.
5. Remove Search.reimageplus.com, Reimage.com From Home Page
CCleaner ↔ Install
An alternative recommendation is to use a program such as CCleaner to repair all browser settings at once with productive accuracy.
1. Install CCleaner.
2. Navigate to Cleaner > Windows/Applications and click the Analyze button. Afterwards, click the Run Cleaner button on the bottom right of the program interface.
Manually Remove Reimage Websites From Home Page
In Google Chrome click the customize icon (wrench or 3 bars) and navigate to Settings. Click “Set pages” under the On startup option. Remove search.reimage.com, search.reimageplus.com, and other Reimage web address, and replace them with your preferred URL.
In Mozilla Firefox navigate to Tools > Options or click Firefox in the top left corner and click Options > Options. Under the General tab remove search.reimage.com, search.reimageplus.com, and other Reimage web address from the “Home Page:” field and replace it with your preferred home page.
In Microsoft Internet Explorer navigate to Tools >Internet Options. Remove search.reimage.com, search.reimageplus.com, and other Reimage web address from the Home Page field and replace them with your preferred URL.
6. Remove Reimage Search Engine
CCleaner ↔ Install
1. Install CCleaner.
2. Navigate to Tools > Startup and search through each tab starting from windows, internet explorer, etc., all the way to Content Menu, for additional suspicious entries and click Disable and Delete once anything is found.
Manually Remove Reimage Search Engine
In Google Chrome, click the customize icon (wrench or 3 bars) and navigate to Settings > Manage search engines… click the X next to search.reimage.com, search.reimageplus.com, and other Reimage web address to remove them as your search engine. If reimage.com is set as the default search engine add or select a new search engine and select the new search engine as the default search engine, then remove reimage.com.
In Mozilla Firefox, click the small search magnify glass near the search box (not url/search field) and click “Manage Search Engines…”. Remove search.reimage.com, search.reimageplus.com, and other Reimage web address from the list of search providers by highlighting the selections and clicking remove.
In Microsoft Internet Explorer navigate to Tools > Manage Add Ons > Search Providers and remove the malicious Reimage search engine from the list.
7. Safe Mode With Networking
Safe Mode with Networking can be used to troubleshoot internet access (Safe Mode can be used to simply access the system) and install software to remove the Reimage virus and third party malware.
1. Restart your computer.
2. Before Window’s launches tap the F8 key constantly to access the appropriate menu. Use the keyboard arrow keys to navigate to and highlight the Safe Mode with Networking option and press ENTER.
3. You can now access the internet to install legitimate software to remove Reimage related mawlare and third party malware from your computer.
8. Manually Remove Reimage PC Repair (Advanced)
Stop Reimage PC Repair Process
1. Access Window’s Task Manager typing Ctrl+Shift+Esc.
2. Find and remove the Reimage PC Repair software’s process, which may be similar to the process detailed below.
Remove Reimage PC Repair Files
Search for and delete Reimage PC Repair related files in Local Disk C, mainly found in the system32 folder. Smart Security files may be random alike the process.
C:\Windows\SysWOW64\notepad.exe C:\Windows\system32\wbem\wmiprvse.exe C:\Windows\System32\random.exe
Repair And Remove Reimage PC Repair Registry Entries
1. Access Window’s Registry Editor by navigating to the Start Menu and typing regedit into the search bar, followed by pressing Enter.
2. If you are not experienced with repairing or removing Registry entries, keys, etc, please do not proceed. Search for Reimage PC Repair registry entries below and remove them.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\FeatureControl\FEATURE_ERROR_PAGE_BYPASS_ZONE_CHECK_FOR_HTTPS_KB954312 HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings "WarnOnHTTPSToHTTPRedirect" = 0 HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System "DisableRegedit" = 0 HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System "DisableRegistryTools" = 0 HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System "DisableTaskMgr" = 0 HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run "Inspector".