How to remove Privacy SafeGuard (Virus Removal Guide)
Privacy SafeGuard (often referred to as Privacy SafeGuard virus, PrivacySafeGuard) is a potentially unwanted program (PUP) with a bad online reputation. Privacy SafeGuard is known to bundle with additional unwanted programs, adware including Text Enhance, and malware. Privacy SafeGuard and objects that it bundles with negatively affect computer systems and can disrupt internet functionality.
Privacy SafeGuard, or the Privacy SafeGuard virus attaches and installs onto browsers and computer systems without permission. Infected victims often notice third party affects of the Privacy SafeGuard virus such as pop-up advertisements and in-text advertisements (Text Enhance). Reports also indicate that Privacy SafeGuard will “randomly open a new tab or window in your browser and force you to view the page, even if you are using another program” and will redirect internet users through ssl.privacysafeguard websites to spam websites such as adultfriendfinder.com.
If you are infected with the Privacy SafeGuard virus, or if you have noticed the Privacy SafeGuard browser helper object (add-on, extension, toolbar) attached to your browser, your privacy, including personal data and computer functionality is at risk. Use the instructions provided in this article to remove the Privacy SafeGuard virus and uninstall the Privacy SafeGuard add-on, extension, and/or toolbar from your computer.
How did Privacy SafeGuard get on my computer?
Privacy SafeGuard is usually contracted without consent or knowledge of the computer user alongside third-party programs and files, such as freeware, shareware, torrent files, and other free downloadable content. The potentially unwanted programs and files that deliver the adware can be introduced to a computer system and affected internet browsers with or without user authorization.
Computer and internet users who seek to download and install free programs and files online may be presented with an opportunity to accept or decline a ‘custom’ offer to install Privacy SafeGuard and other programs during the setup and installation process. However, the request to decline Privacy SafeGuard adware from installing is often presented in a very confusing manner. In some cases, the download manager may completely ignore the user request to decline Privacy SafeGuard from installing and the adware will install against user consent and knowledge.
Privacy SafeGuard overview
- The Privacy SafeGuard extension can read and change all your data on the websites you visit and read and change your browsing history.
- The Privacy SafeGuard extension can manage your apps, extensions, downloads, and themes.
- Privacy SafeGuard bundles with other potentially unwanted programs and possible malware.
- Privacy SafeGuard can arrive on a computer system packed inside installers and downloaders from websites such as download.com, Softonic, and others.
- Privacy SafeGuard injects visited webpages with pop-up, pop-under, in-text, and in-image advertisements.
- Privacy SafeGuard makes unwanted changes to existing Windows settings and schedules new tasks allowing it to run every time Windows starts and to check to see if the program has been disabled. If the program has previously been disabled it will enable itself to run.
How to remove Privacy SafeGuard (Removal Guide)
- Step 1: Remove Privacy SafeGuard extensions
- Step 2: Uninstall Privacy SafeGuard from Windows
- Step 3: Remove Privacy SafeGuard virus with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware
- Step 4: Cleanup and repair settings with CCleaner by Piriform
- For Tech Support Call: 1-888-986-8411
Step 1: Remove Privacy SafeGuard extensions
We recommend that you write down the toll free number below in case you run into any issues or problems while removing this infection. Our techs will kindly assist you with any problems.
1. Click the Customize and control Google Chrome icon on the top menu and navigate to More tools > Extensions.
2. Search for the Privacy SafeGuard extension in the list. Remove unwanted browser extensions individually by clicking the trashcan icon next to each one.
1. Type Ctrl+Shift+A.
2. Search for the Privacy SafeGuard add-ons on the Extensions and Plugin tab. Highlight each one individually and click remove.
1. Click Safari and go to Preferences > Extensions.
2. Find the Privacy SafeGuard extension in the list and click the Uninstall button.
Step 2: Uninstall Privacy SafeGuard from Windows
1. Open Windows Start Menu and go to the Control Panel.
2. On Windows Control Panel, click Uninstall a program or Add and remove a program in the Programs section.
3. Search for Privacy SafeGuard and other unwanted programs in the list of installed programs. Once an unwanted program is located, double click the item or select it with your mouse and click the Uninstall button. If you can not find this program in the list of installed program please see steps 3 and 4 below.
Step 3: Remove Privacy SafeGuard virus with Malwarebytes
1. Download and install the free or full edition of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. The full edition of this program enables real-time protection to block malware and unwanted programs from infecting your computer, while the free version is only a free scan and removal tool.
2. Open Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.
3. Click the Scan Now button or go to the “Scan” tab to manually run a scan.
4. When the malware scan is complete you will notice a list of files it has detected including PUP.Optional.GlassBottle.A. Click the Remove Selected button, then click Finish, and reboot your computer.
Step 4: Cleanup and repair settings with CCleaner
1. Download and install the free or full edition of CCleaner by Piriform.
2. Open the program and go to Cleaner and click the Analyze button. After files and have been analyzed, click the Run Cleaner button on the bottom right of the program interface.
3. Go to Registry and click Scan for Issues. When the scan is complete click Fix selected issues… and then click the Fix All Selected Issues button.
4. Go to to Tools > Startup and search through each tab starting from Windows, Internet Explorer, all the way to Context Menu, for additional suspicious entries and click Delete once anything suspicious is found to remove it.