How to remove the Palikan New Tab extension
The Palikan New Tab extension is a browser extension compatible mostly with Google Chrome. Various other versions of the Palikan New Tab extension may also be linked to additional web browsers such as Mozilla Firefox, Apple Safari, and Microsoft Internet Explorer. The Palikan New Tab extension is known to download and install without user knowledge and consent. The Palikan New Tab extension is associated a potentially unwanted program (PUP) called Palikan and a corrupt version Chromium; an open source Google Chrome project that anyone can use and essentially take advantage of or abuse.
Once the Palikan New Tab extension has been attached it will modify internet browser settings including the homepage, new tab, and search module. In turn this will cause affected web browsers to start up on palikan.com and other webpages and redirect to the sites when a new browser tab is opened or a search is performed in the browser address bar.
|Name(s)||Palikan New Tab, Palikan New Tab virus|
|Detection Categories||Adware, Potentially Unwanted Program (PUP)|
|Publisher Description||New tab page from Palikan powered search box provided by Yahoo.|
|Symptoms||The user may experience unwanted advertisements and redirects to sponsored webpages in the browser.|
|Removal Tool||Download Malware Removal Tool (Malwarebytes)|
What is Palikan New Tab?
Palikan New Tab is a deceptive browser extension that is often promoted as a free alternative internet browser that uses the Chromium open source code. It is also described as a free tool that allows you to search Yahoo. This extension may automatically install alongside Palikan browser.
The Palikan New Tab extension for Google Chrome has permission to read and change your data on the websites you visit, read and change your browsing history, read and change your bookmarks, and manage your apps, extensions, and themes. This is very uncommon for any legitimate browser extension. Furthermore, this extension fails to address in public permissions that it will change your homepage and search settings.
- Advertisements in the web browser
- Redirects to sponsored webpages
- Slow and sluggish computer and internet
- Excessive email spam, junk mail, and phone calls from telemarketers, robocallers, and potential scam artists due to data collection
Palikan New Tab Removal Guide
Follow the steps in this Palikan New Tab removal guide to remove the Palikan New Tab extension, malware, and other threats to stop browser redirects to Palikan New Tab websites.
- Scan your computer with Malwarebytes
- Scan your computer with HitmanPro
- Uninstall Palikan New Tab and unwanted programs
- Remove Palikan New Tab and unwanted browser add-ons
- Cleanup and repair settings with CCleaner
1. Scan your computer with Malwarebytes
The first step to remove Palikan New Tab is to download and install Malwarebytes Anti-Malware software in order to perform a full system scan for malicious files.
2. Open Malwarebytes and click the Scan Now button or go to the Scan tab and click the Start Scan button.
3. When the Malwarebytes scan is complete click the Remove Selected button.
4. To finish the Malwarebytes scan and remove detected threats click the Finish button and restart your computer if promoted to do so.
2. Scan your computer with HitmanPro
The second step to remove Palikan New Tab is to download and install a second opinion scanner called HitmanPro by Surfright in order to perform a full system scan for malicious files.
2. Open HitmanPro and click Next to start scanning your computer. *If you are using the free version you may chose to create a copy or perform a one-time scan.
3. When the HitmanPro scan is complete click the Next button.
4. To activate the free version of HitmanPro: enter your email address twice and click the Activate button.
5. Click the Reboot button.
3. Uninstall Palikan New Tab and unwanted programs
The third step to remove Palikan New Tab is to uninstall Palikan New Tab and other unwanted programs in Windows Control Panel.
1. Open Windows Start Menu and go to the Control Panel.
2. In the Programs section click Uninstall a program. In earlier versions of Windows this is listed as “Add and remove programs.”
3. Search for Palikan New Tab in the list and double click Palikan New Tab to uninstall Palikan New Tab.
4. Once you have uninstalled Palikan New Tab search for other unwanted programs that may be installed on your computer and uninstall them as well.
4. Remove Palikan New Tab and unwanted browser add-ons
The fourth step to remove Palikan New Tab is to remove unwanted browser add-ons and extensions from Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Microsoft Internet Explorer, and Apple Safari.
1. Click the Customize and control Google Chrome icon and go to More tools > Extensions.
2. Search for the unwanted extension in the list and click the trashcan icon.
1. Open the Menu and click Add-ons.
2. Search for the unwanted add-on and click Remove.
Microsoft Internet Explorer
1. Go to Tools (Alt+X) and click Manage add-ons.
2. Search for the unwanted add-on in the list, select it with your mouse, and click Remove.
1. Go to Safari > Preferences > Extensions.
2. Search for the unwanted extension in the list and click the Uninstall button.
5. Cleanup and repair settings with CCleaner
The fifth step to remove Palikan New Tab is to download and install CCleaner by Piriform in order to delete leftover junk files, tracking cookies, registry entries, unwanted start-up tasks, and more.
2. Open CCleaner and go to the main Cleaner screen. Click the Analyze button. When the process is complete, click the Run Cleaner button on the bottom right of the program interface.
3. Go to Tools > Startup and search for suspicious entries in each tab starting from Windows all the way to Content Menu. If you find anything suspicious click it and click the Delete button to remove it.
4. Go to the Registry window and click the Scan for Issues button. When the scan is complete click the Fix selected issues… button and click Fix All Selected Issues.