What is the Netmahal virus (Netmahal.com)?
The Netmahal virus and other loosely worded variations such as the Search Netmahal virus, Netmahal Toolbar virus, and Netmahal redirection virus, are terms for malware categorized as a browser hijacker that causes unwanted redirects to netmahal.com, search.netmahal.com, and other unwanted websites, including Conduit Search. Netmahal malware is primarily used to change existing internet browser settings of Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, and Microsoft Internet Explorer, such as home pages and managed search engines (default, provided) without consent to accommodate the Netmahal Search engine and associated third-parties including adware and spyware platforms.
Victims of the Netmahal virus often notice their internet home page has changed without permission and are redirected to seach.netmahal.com and other websites while attempting to use the internet browser’s address bar to search the web. Victims may also notice unwanted advertisements including pop-up, pop-under, and in-text adverts. Some advertisements displayed on the Netmahal search engine include links to known malware including scareware used to frighten computer users into purchasing unnecessary security tools and browser hijackers such as FBdownloader.
Is Netmahal.com safe (Netmahal.com review)?
Netmahal.com is not safe for reasons concerning relations to cyber criminal activity such as credit theft, extortion, and identity theft. Netmahal is also reported to utilize unethical marketing practices, social engineering, and may entrap users to terms they would never agree with if presented with properly.
Some victims of Netmahal malware have reported excessive email spam, junk mail, and phone calls from scam artists and telemarketers. It can be concluded that Netmahal.com and third-parties may include users to marketing lists without consent or knowledge, often using information collected by spyware applications included in their “fine print.”
Netmahal.com search results are not malicious as Netmahal utilizes Google’s developer API to display results from Google’s search engine, though results are extremely limited.
How did Netmahal malware infect my computer?
Netmahal malware primarily bundles with third-party software in order to monetize free products and services including freeware, shareware, codecs, and torrents, even add-ons, extensions, and Toolbars, as well as malware such as adware, additional hackers, scareware, and spyware. Removing third-party software and attachments often stops the search.netmahal.com redirect and other symptoms of Netmahal malware.
How to remove Netmahal malware (hijacker)
- Uninstall Netmahal and third-party software
- Remove Netmahal add-on and extension (and third-party attachments)
- Automatically remove Netmahal malware – Scan for and remove malware associated with search.netmahal.com and third-parties using the free or full version of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and repair internet browser settings using CCleaner by Piriform.
- Manually remove Netmahal.com from home page
- Manually remove Netmahal.com search engine
1. Uninstall Netmahal software
1. Access Windows Start Menu and navigate to the Control Panel.
2. Click Uninstall a program or Add and remove a program.
3. In the list of installed programs, search for Netmahal and other potentially unwanted software. Once located, double click the unwanted programs or highlight them in the list and click the Uninstall button.
2. Remove Netmahal add-on and extension
If necessary, to stop unwanted redirections to search.netmahal.com and other web pages you must remove the Netmahal BHO and third-party browser attachment from each intenret browser installed on your computer. Otherwise, your browsers will continue to be affected.
1. Click on the Customize icon (wrench or 3 bar icon) next to the address bar and navigate to Tools > Extensions.
2. Search for the Netmahal extension and remove it by clicking the trashcan icon next to them.
1. Type Ctrl+Shift+A.
2. On the Extensions and Plugin search for the Netmahal add-on and remove it.
Microsoft Internet Explorer
1. Click Tools and select Manage add-ons.
2. On the Toolbars and Extensions tab search for the Netmahal add-on and remove it if located.
3. Automatically remove malware
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware can be used to detect and remove malware from your computer system.
1. Install the free or paid version of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware software.
2. Once Malwarebytes is installed, run the program. If you are using the free version of Malwarebytes you will be prompted to update the database, please do so.
3. Open the first tab labeled “Scanner” and select the Perform full scan option. Click the Scan button to perform a full system scan. Malwarebytes will automatically detect malware infecting your computer system.
4. Once the full system scan is complete, Malwarebytes may prompt a message stating malicious objects were detected. Select the malicious objects and click the Remove Selected button to completely remove the malicious files from your computer (the image below shows a file that is NOT selected).
CCleaner by Piriform
CCleaner can also be used to repair internet browser and computer settings, as well as stop your browser from redirecting to http://www.search.netmahal.com and other unwanted websites.
1. Install the free or paid version of CCleaner by Piriform and run the program.
2. Once installed, run the program and navigate to Cleaner > Windows/Applications and click the Analyze button. Afterwards, click the Run Cleaner button on the bottom right of the program interface.
3. Next, navigate to Tools > Startup and search through each tab starting from windows, internet explorer, etc., all the way to Content Menu, for additional suspicious entries and click Disable and Delete once anything is found. Look for anything that may be suspicious or contain “Netmahal” in the program or file name.
4. Manually remove Netmahal.com from homepage
- In Mozilla Firefox navigate to Tools > Options or click Firefox in the top left corner and click Options > Options. Under the General tab remove Netmahal.com from the “Home Page:” field and replace it with your preferred home page URL.
- In Microsoft Internet Explorer navigate to Tools >Internet Options. Remove Netmahal.com from the Home Page field and replace it with your preferred URL.
- In Google Chrome click the customize icon (wrench or 3 bars) and navigate to Settings.Click “Set pages” under the On startup option. Remove Netmahal.com and replace it with your preferred URL.
5. Manually remove the Netmahal.com search engine
- In Mozilla Firefox, click the small search magnify glass near the search box (not url/search field) and click “Manage Search Engines…”. Remove the Netmahal.com search engine from the list of search providers by highlighting the selections and clicking remove.
- In Microsoft Internet Explorer navigate to Tools > Manage Add Ons > Search Providers and remove the Netmahal.com search engine from the list.
- In Google Chrome, click the customize icon (wrench or 3 bars) and navigate to Settings > Manage search engines… click the X next to Netmahalcom to remove it as your search engine.
Please note, If a Netmahal.com webpage is set as Google Chrome’s default search engine, add (or select) a new search engine (such as Google.com) and select the new search engine as the default search engine, then remove www.netmahal.com by clicking the X next to it.