How To Remove The Google Update Virus – Google Update Malware Removal (Browser Update Required)
What is the Google Update virus (Malware)?
The Google Update virus, googleupdate.exe virus, Google Chrome update virus, or the Browser Update Required virus are terms used to describe a fake Google update categorized as combo malware such as adware and a browser hijacker we discovered that is utilized by unethical parties who participate in social engineering by attempting to appear like a legitimate Google update and Google extension used to update Google Search and Google Chrome. The Google Update virus is essentially an add-on and extension that attaches to internet browsers without consent in order to display unwanted advertisements, including in-text ads, pop-up ads, and coupon-based adverts (dealware) from Coupon Drop Down and Coupon Companion.
Browser Update Required Your Chrome browser extension requires a critical update. Click to Continue to download Error (net::ERR_PATCH): Update Patch Required. Dismiss.
Furthermore, Google update may change existing internet browser settings including homepages, default search engines, and browser shortcuts, in turn causing unwanted browser redirects to potentially malicious websites.
Google update may also be the title of a legitimate and safe extension for Google Chrome and Google products such as computing systems and mobile devices, but if the Google update extension is located on your computer without consent, remove Google update immediately using our free Google update removal instructions below.
The Google update virus or Browser Update Required virus is in no way associated with Google.com. The “browser update required” page is fake. Your browser does not require an update.
Google update malware dangers:
Google update is dangerous for reasons concerning cyber criminal activity, such as credit theft, extortion, and identity theft, as well as reasons citing unethical behavior, the engagement of social engineering and entrapment. The Google Update virus may also be referred to as Google Update Spyware.
How to tell if Google extensions are safe:
- Legitimate and safe Google extensions for Google Chrome will most likely be available only through the Google Chrome extension repository.
- Google Chrome will not redirect internet users to a website and claim to have urgent updates available. Even if the post comes from a Google domain such as
- Google Chrome extensions may update themselves or display a pop-up blerp notifying a user if they need to be updated.
To remove the Google Update virus and third-party malware from your computer, as well as stop your browser from redirecting to the browser update required page please use the free Google Update removal instructions below,
How to remove Google Update virus (Malware)
- Automatically remove Google Update malware - Scan for and automatically remove Google Update malware
- Manually remove Google Update malware - Remove/Uninstall Google Update and third-party malware
1. Automatic Google Update removal
Use the instructions below to automatically remove the Google Update virus and third-party malware, as well as automatically remove unwanted search engines from your home page, default search engine, browser shortcut, and other hijacked settings using free or paid versions of software.
1. Install the free or paid version of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.
2. Once Malwarebytes is installed, run the program. If you are using the free version of Malwarebytes you will be prompted to update the database, make sure to do so.
3. On the first tab labeled “Scanner” select the Perform full scan option and click the Scan button to perform a full system scan. Malwarebytes will automatically detect malware infecting the computer system.
4. Once the malware scan is complete, Malwarebytes may prompt a notice stating malicious objects were detected. Select the malicious objects and click the Remove Selected button to completely remove the malicious files from your computer (the image below shows a file that is NOT selected) or click the Delete button to remove quarantined files.
CCleaner can be used to automatically repair internet browser settings startup up settings, and uninstall stubborn fake Google Update software.
1. Install the free or paid version of CCleaner by Piriform.
2. Once installed, open the program and navigate to Cleaner > Windows/Applications and click the Analyze button. Afterwards, click the Run Cleaner button on the bottom right of the program interface.
3. Next, navigate to Tools > Startup and search through each tab starting from windows, internet explorer, etc., all the way to Content Menu, for additional suspicious entries and click Disable and Delete once anything is found.
4. To automatically uninstall Google Update and unwanted programs, navigate to the Uninstall tab and search for Google Update, etc. in the list of installed programs. Uninstall the programs as selected.
2. Manual Google Update malware removal
Use the instructions below to manually uninstall Google Update using generic removal procedures.
How to uninstall Arcade Safari malware
1. Access Windows Start Menu and navigate to the Control Panel.
2. Click Uninstall a program or Add and remove a program.
3. In the list of installed programs, search for Google Update and other potentially unwanted software. Once located, double click the unwanted programs or highlight them in the list and click the Uninstall button.
How to remove the Google Update extension
Use the instructions to remove Google Update add-ons, extensions, plugins, and toolbars. Please note, Google Update primarily installs third-party add-ons and extensions.
1. Click on the Customize icon (wrench or 3 bar icon) next to the address bar and navigate to Tools > Extensions.
2. Search for the Google Update extension and remove it by clicking the trashcan icon next to them.
1. Type Ctrl+Shift+A.
2. On the Extensions and Plugin search for the Google Update add-on and remove it.
Microsoft Internet Explorer
1. Click Tools and select Manage add-ons.
2. On the Toolbars and Extensions tab search for the Google Update add-on and remove it if located.