Genieo virus (Genieo Toolbar, Genieo search virus) is a term used to identify a potentially unwanted program (PUP) found in the browser hijacker category of computer threats. Genieo is known to access and change existing internet browser settings in order to cause affected internet browsers to redirect to search.genieo.com and other sponsored websites.
Genieo.com is a questionable search engine promoted by multiple web utilities, including Genieo Toolbar and other items. Once these items are installed and attached to affected internet browsers they will change existing internet browser settings such as the default search engine, browser shortcut, and browser homepage to the website or one of its affiliates.
Internet users will usually redirect to search.genieo.com and other webpages when they open a new browser window, open a new browser tab, or search the web using the browser address bar.
How to remove Genieo.com
- Step 1: Uninstall potentially unwanted programs
- Step 2: Remove browser add-on and extensions
- Step 3: Remove Genieo.com search engine
- Step 4: Remove Genieo.com homepage
- Step 5: Scan your computer for malware
- Step 6: Clean up
Step 1: Uninstall potentially unwanted programs
1. We highly recommend writing down the toll free number below in case you run into any issues or problems while following the instructions. Our techs will kindly assist you with any problems.
2.Navigate to the Control Panel on Windows Start Menu.
3. Click Uninstall a program (or Add and remove a program).
4. A list of programs installed on your computer will appear. Search for suspicious and unwanted programs in the list of installed programs. Once a program you want to remove is located, double click to begin the uninstall process (or select the program and click Uninstall).
Step 2: Remove browser add-ons and extensions
1. Click on the Customize icon (3 bar icon) next to the address bar and navigate to More tools > Extensions.
2. Search for the extension and remove it by clicking the trashcan icon next to it.
1. Type Ctrl+Shift+A.
2. On the Extensions and Plugin search for the add-on, select it, and remove it.
Step 3: Remove Genieo.com search engine
- In Mozilla Firefox, click the small search magnify glass near the search box (not url/search field) and click “Manage Search Engines…”. Remove Genieo.com search engine from the list of search providers by highlighting the selections and clicking remove.
- In Microsoft Internet Explorer navigate to Tools > Manage Add Ons > Search Providers and remove Genieo.com search engine from the list.
- In Google Chrome, click the customize icon (wrench or 3 bars) and navigate to Settings > Manage search engines… click the X next to Genieo.com search engine to remove it.
Step 4: Remove Genieo.com homepage
- In Mozilla Firefox navigate to Tools > Options or click Firefox in the top left corner and click Options > Options. Under the General tab remove Genieo.com from the “Home Page:” field and replace it with your preferred home page URL.
- In Microsoft Internet Explorer navigate to Tools >Internet Options. Remove Genieo.com from the Home Page field and replace it with your preferred URL.
- In Google Chrome click the customize icon (wrench or 3 bars) and navigate to Settings.Click “Set pages” under the On startup option. Remove Genieo.com and replace it with your preferred homepage URL.
Step 5: Scan your computer for malware
1. Download and Install the free or full version of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. The full version enables real-time protection to block malware and unwanted programs from infecting your computer, while the free version is just a free scan and removal tool.
2. Once Malwarebytes is installed, open the Anti-Malware program and click the Scan Now button or visit the “Scan” tab to manually run a scan. Malwarebytes may automatically begin to update and scan your computer at this point.
3. When the malware scan is complete, click the Quarantine All button to isolate and remove the detected files. You may be asked to reboot your computer to completely remove detected files.
Step 6: Clean up and repair settings
1. Download and Install the free or full version of CCleaner by Piriform.
2. Open CCleaner after it is installed and navigate to Cleaner > Windows/Applications and click the Analyze button. Afterwards, click the Run Cleaner button.
3. Next, navigate to Tools > Startup and search for suspicious entries through each tab starting from Windows, Internet Explorer, etc., all the way to Context Menu and click Disable and Delete once anything you do not recognize is found. This will help you locate and remove unwanted browser attachments and repair other settings.