What is Clickorati (Clickorati.com Hijack)?
Clickorati (www.Clickorati.com), also referred to as the Clickorati virus or Clickorati spyware is a very invasive search engine developed by Optimizi Ltd, categorized as malware, in particular a browser hijacker that causes unwanted browser redirections and engages in unethical practices that may entrap unsuspecting victims to unethical terms. The Clickorati virus changes existing internet browser settings including the homepages, deafault search eninges, and browser shortcuts, causing unwanted browser redirections to clickorati.com and other websites. This also causes browsers to start up on the Clickorati search engine. Furthermore, Clickorati malware may promote itself as a legitimate search engine that does something more useful than just serving up irrelevant search results (their words), as well as an addon, extension, and toolbar.
Clickorati.com participates in unethical activities and marketing practices in order to generate revenue. The Clickorati virus collects information from visitors and users, including information submitted online, such as YouTube comments, credit card account numbers, passwords, and more.
How does Clickorati infect a computer?
Clickorati may infect a computer via third party browser attachments such as add ons, extensions, and toolbars that promote themselves as legitimate tools, but in turn “hijack” internet browser settings. Victims are often entrapped by Clickorati and third-parties to terms they may not be aware of. Also note, Clickorati terms are noted to constantly change without consent.
Common browser hijackers, such as the Clickorati hijacker, can also bundle with software and files including freeware, shareware, torrents, and codecs in order to monetize free downloads.
If your internet browser is redirectiong to http://www.cickorati.com without permission, it is likely that unwanted software considered potential malware is on your computer system as a browser helper object. Meaning, there will be software to uninstall, and possibly browser attachments to manually remove. These attachments may be developed by third parties or Optimizi Ltd. Opposed from manually repairing browsers you can automatically repair internet settings using CCleaner by Piriform. *Redirections to the Clickorati search engine may occur when attempting to search the web using the browser address bar or redirect to certain websites, including typos (Clickorati search results pictured above).
To remove the Clickorati virus and stop your internet browser from redirecting to clickorati.com, please use the free Clickorati removal instructions below.
How to remove the Clickorati virus (Hijack)
- Automatic Clickorati Removal Instructions – Clickorati malware removal software, Cleaner
- Manual Clickorati Removal Instructions – Manually remove Clickorati search and third-party malware
1. How to automatically remove Clickorati and third-party malware
Use the instructions below to automatically remove the Clickorati virus and third-party malware, as well as automatically repair internet browser settings.
CCleaner by Piriform
CCleaner can be used to repair internet browser settings and uninstall stubborn software. In other words, CCleaner can automatically stop your browser from redirecting to clickorati.com. CCleaner can also be used to repair and troubleshoot browser startup settings and can automatically uninstall stubborn software.
1. Install the free or paid version of CCleaner by Piriform and run the program.
2. Navigate to Cleaner > Windows/Applications and click the Analyze button. Afterwards, click the Run Cleaner button on the bottom right of the program interface.
3. Next, navigate to Tools > Startup and search through each tab starting from windows, internet explorer, etc., all the way to Content Menu, for additional suspicious entries and click Disable and Delete once anything is found.
4. If needed, to automatically uninstall Clickorati and other unwanted software, navigate to the Uninstall tab and select the unwanted software.
In some cases, Malwarebytes will remove potentially unwanted programs.
1. Install the free or paid version of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware software.
2. Once Malwarebytes is installed, run the program. If you are using the free version of Malwarebytes you will be prompted to update the database, please do so.
3. Open the first tab labeled “Scanner” and select the Perform full scan option. Click the Scan button to perform a full system scan. Malwarebytes will automatically detect and remove malware infecting your computer system.
4. Once the full system scan is complete, Malwarebytes may prompt a message stating malicious objects were detected. Select the malicious objects and click the Remove Selected button to completely remove the malicious files from your computer (the image below shows a file that is NOT selected).
2. How to manually remove Clickorati and third-party malware
The instructions below can be used to manually remove Clickorati and related software using generic procedures.
Windows Uninstaller – Control Panel
1. Access Windows Start Menu and navigate to the Control Panel.
2. Click Uninstall a program or Add and remove a program (depending on your version of Windows).
3. In the list of installed programs, search for Clickorati and other suspicious software, including third party programs and uninstall them by double clicking the program’s icon, or highlight the program in the list and click the Uninstall button/tab.
Remove Clickorati Toolbar & Third-Party Attachments
Clickorati imay install as a standalone add-on or extension, alongside third-party browser attachments, or bundled inside a third-party browser attachment. Removing third-party attachments often removes symptoms associated with the Clickorati redirect virus.
It is suggested to Uninstall any unwanted programs and browser helper objects using Window’s Uninstaller or CCleaner prior to removing the browser attachment.
1. Type Ctrl+Shift+A.
2. On the Extensions and Plugin search for the Clickorati addon and any suspicious add-ons and remove them if located.
Microsoft Internet Explorer
1. Click Tools and select Manage add-ons.
2. On the Toolbars and Extensions tab search for the Clickorati addon and any suspicious addons and remove them if located.
1. Click on the Customize icon (wrench or 3 bar icon) next to the address bar and navigate to Tools > Extensions (or type chrome://chrome/extensions/ into the address bar).
2. Search for the Clickorati extension and other suspicious extensions. Remove them by clicking the trashcan icon next to them.
How to remove Clickorati.com from your home page
- In Mozilla Firefox navigate to Tools > Options or click Firefox in the top left corner and click Options > Options. Under the General tab remove Clickorati.com from the “Home Page:” field and replace it with your preferred home page URL.
- In Microsoft Internet Explorer navigate to Tools >Internet Options. Remove Clickorati.com from the Home Page field and replace it with your preferred URL.
- In Google Chrome click the customize icon (wrench or 3 bars) and navigate to Settings.Click “Set pages” under the On startup option. Remove Clickorati.com and replace it with your preferred URL.
How to remove the Clickorati.com search engine
- In Mozilla Firefox, click the small search magnify glass near the search box (not url/search field) and click “Manage Search Engines…”. Remove the Clickorati.com search engine from the list of search providers by highlighting the selections and clicking remove.
- In Microsoft Internet Explorer navigate to Tools > Manage Add Ons > Search Providers and remove the Clickorati.com search engine from the list.
- In Google Chrome, click the customize icon (wrench or 3 bars) and navigate to Settings > Manage search engines… click the X next to Clickorati.com to remove it as your search engine. If www.clickorati.com is set as Google Chrome’s default search engine, add (or select) a new search engine (such as Google.com) and select the new search engine as the default search engine, then remove Frameseek.com by clicking the X next to it (pictured below).
Clickorati.com may alter browser shortcuts on Windows operating systems.
1. Right click on a browser shortcut and select Properties.
2. On the shortcut tab, remove http://clickorati.com from the the target field and click OK. If your shortcut is pinned to the taskbar you have to unpin it first, then correct the shortcut in the start menu, and re-pin it to the task bar.