What is Chatzum (search.chatzum.com)?
Chatzum, also referred to as the Chatzum virus, is malware, categorized as a browser hijacker that changes internet browser settings without permission. The Chatzum virus changes the homepage causing infected internet browsers to startup on search.chatzum.com. Chatzum also changes the default search engine, causing browsers to redirect to search.chatzum.com when users attempt to search the internet or direct to a URL using the address bar. Furthermore, Chatzum malware may alter browser shortcuts, making it difficult for many users to completely remove Chatzum and stop the search.chatzum.com redirect.
Chatzum attempts to appear like a legitimate tool for Facebook that allows Facebook users to zoom into photos on the fly by clicking a button located on the Facebook chat bar. The truth about Chatzum and other unethical “browser hijackers” such as FBPhotoZoom or 1ClickDownloader, is that they cause complications for many computer users, and may seriously compromise the functionality of the computer system.
Chatzum and similar Facebook products engage in social engineering in order to target and trick unsuspecting victims to download the free Chatzum add-on and extension. Chatzum entraps these victims to theirs and third-party terms in order to generate an unethical source of income. Terms may include details that the victim would not normally agree to, including the additional installment of malware or redirection to chatzum.com web pages. Furthermore, Chatzum and associated parties, including third-party malware collect personal information, be that via manually submitted information in forms, etc. What Chatzum does with this information is unclear, but it has been reported that engagement with Chatzum has added individual users to marketing lists.
If Chatzum is installed onto your computer and attached to Chrome, Firefox, or Interner Explorer, your internet browser will start up on search.chatzum.com or www.chatzum.com and redirect to the Chatzum search results page http://www.search.chatzum.com?.
Is Chatzum safe?
Chatzum is not safe to download and use for reasons concerning cyber criminal behavior, the invasion of privacy, entrapment, social engineering, and more.
Chatzum can be manually and volunatarily downloaded from a varity of sources such as Chatzum.com (http://www.chatzum.com), but it has been reported that Chatzum may install to a computer system without consent, often bundled alongside or inside third-party malware, such as adware, browser hijackers, and spyware. Some users have complained about Coupon Drop Down or other unwanted pop-up or in-text advertisements while infected with the Chatzum virus.
Chatzum may also bundle with freeware, shareware, codecs, and torrents.
If you are infected with the Chatzum virus, if Chatzum is difficult to remove, and/or if you suspect your computer is infected with malware, please use the free Chatzum removal instructions provided below to remove Chatzum and third-party malware.
How to remove Chatzum malware (Hijacker)
- Automatically remove Chatzum – Scan for and automatically remove malware affecting your computer system
- Manually remove Chatzum – Remove/Uninstall Chatzum and third-party malware
1. Automatic removal
Use the instructions below to automatically remove Chatzum and third-party malware, as well as automatically remove chatzum.com from your home page, default search engine, browser shortcut, and other settings using free or paid system Cleaner software.
1. Install the free or paid version of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.
2. Once Malwarebytes is installed, run the program. If you are using the free version of Malwarebytes you will be prompted to update the database, make sure to do so.
3. On the first tab labeled “Scanner” select the Perform full scan option and click the Scan button to perform a full system scan. Malwarebytes will automatically detect malware infecting the computer system.
4. Once the malware scan is complete, Malwarebytes will prompt a notice stating malicious objects were detected. Select the malicious objects and click the Remove Selected button to completely remove the malicious files from your computer (the image below shows a file that is NOT selected).
CCleaner can be used to automatically repair internet browser settings, start-up settings, and uninstall stubborn Chatzum software.
1. Install the free or paid version of CCleaner by Piriform.
2. Navigate to Cleaner > Windows/Applications and click the Analyze button. Afterwards, click the Run Cleaner button on the bottom right of the program interface.
3. Next, navigate to Tools > Startup and search through each tab starting from windows, internet explorer, etc., all the way to Content Menu, for additional suspicious entries and click Disable and Delete once anything is found.
4. To automatically uninstall Chatzum, navigate to the Uninstall tab and search for Chatzum in the list of installed programs. Double click Chatzum to uninstall.
2. Manual removal
Use the instructions below to manually uninstall Chatzum malware and remove the search.chatzum.com redirect virus using generic removal procedures.
How to uninstall Chatzum malware
1. Access Windows Start Menu and navigate to the Control Panel.
2. Click Uninstall a program or Add and remove a program.
3. In the list of installed programs, search for Chatzum and additional software. Once located, double click the Chatzum program or highlight it (select) in the list and click the Uninstall button.
How to remove the Chatzum hijacker (Add-on, extension)
Use the instructions to remove Chatzum add-ons, extensions, plugins, and toolbars. Titles may include Chatzum Toolbar, Chatzum Community Toolbar, Chatzum FacebookZoom, and more, as well as third-party attachments such as Hola Toolbar and ZoomEx.
1. Click on the Customize icon (wrench or 3 bar icon) next to the address bar and navigate to Tools > Extensions.
2. Locate the Chatzum extension and remove it by clicking the trashcan icon next to them.
1. Type Ctrl+Shift+A.
2. On the Extensions and Plugin search for the Chatzum add-on and remove it.
Microsoft Internet Explorer
1. Click Tools and select Manage add-ons.
2. On the Toolbars and Extensions tab search for the Chatzum add-on and remove it if located.
How to manually remove search.chatzum.com home page
- In Mozilla Firefox navigate to Tools > Options or click Firefox in the top left corner and click Options > Options. Under the General tab remove http://search.chatzum.com from the “Home Page:” field and replace it with your preferred home page URL.
- In Microsoft Internet Explorer navigate to Tools >Internet Options. Remove http://search.chatzum.com from the Home Page field and replace it with your preferred URL.
- In Google Chrome click the customize icon (wrench or 3 bars) and navigate to Settings.Click “Set pages” under the On startup option. Remove http://search.chatzum.com and replace it with your preferred URL.
How to remove search.chatzum.com search engine
- In Mozilla Firefox, click the small search magnify glass near the search box (not url/search field) and click “Manage Search Engines…”. Remove the http://search.chatzum.com search engine from the list of search providers by highlighting the selections and clicking remove.
- In Microsoft Internet Explorer navigate to Tools > Manage Add Ons > Search Providers and remove the http://search.chatzum.com search engine from the list.
- In Google Chrome, click the customize icon (wrench or 3 bars) and navigate to Settings > Manage search engines… click the X next to http://search.chatzum.com to remove it as your search engine. If www.search.chatzum.com is set as the default search engine, add (or select) a new search engine (such as Google.com) and select the new search engine as the default search engine, then remove the Chatzum by clicking the X next to it.
How to uninstall search.chatzum.com shortcut
- Find the shortcut of particular browsers (IE, Firefox, Chrome) in all locations of the computer, including but not limited to the desktop;
- Right click and find “Option”;
- Delete http://www.search.chatzum.com/ in “Target” field of on the “Shortcut” tab.