How to remove the Cartwheel Shopping virus – Adware removal instructions
Cartwheel shopping virus
The Cartwheel Shopping virus (also found as the Cartwheel virus) is malware categorized as adware and a browser hijacker that changes existing internet browser settings of Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, and Microsoft Internet Explorer, and displays unwanted advertisements including Cartwheel pop-up ads, banner ads, in-text ads, and more.
Cartwheel Shopping adware installs to a Microsoft Windows computer and attaches to the previously mentioned internet browsers as a browser add-on, browser helper object (BHO), and extension. Once Cartwheel Shopping malware is installed it begins to change browser settings and cause problems for computer and internet users.
Cartwheel displays unwanted advertisements that can usually be identified by text that says “Cartwheel” and/or “Earn While You Shop.” Cartwheel advertisements often contain a green border, pop-up on the bottom right of an open browser window or task bar, and may claim to contain coupons. In some cases Cartwheel will highlight certain text and when users hover over the linked text a Cartwheel advertisement will pop up.
Cartwheel Shopping adware is a very intruding application that if installed will collect all computer activity and information about every website visited. Information collected includes your name, home address, telephone number, email address, and more. Victims of this particular malware infection have complained of unwanted email spam, junk mail, and telephone calls from telemarketers often relating to recent internet browsing activity.
The Cartwheel virus and related third-party malware may collect and distribute extremely sensitive information users manually submit into online forms including bank account credentials and credit card information. In rare cases, victims of the Cartwheel hijacker are at risk of credit theft, extortion, identity theft, and other crimes.
How does Cartwheel Shopping adware get onto a computer?
Cartwheel (Cart Wheel) Shopping adware can be manually and voluntarily downloaded from questionable websites such as
cartwheelshopping.com; however most complain that Cartwheel Shopping malware was installed without consent.
In most cases Cartwheel Shopping software bundles with suspicious third-party freeware and shareware in order to monetize free products. Users may be given the opportunity to accept or decline an offer to install Cartwheel Shopping, but the request to deny the installation is often ignored.
How to remove the Cartwheel virus
- Automatically remove Cartwheel Shopping adware – Scan for and automatically remove Cartwheel and third-party malware
- Manually remove Cartwheel Shopping – Remove/Uninstall Cartwheel promoted software and third-party malware (if necessary)
1. Automatic Cartwheel virus removal
Use the instructions below to automatically remove Cartwheel Shopping adware and third-party malware, as well as automatically remove unwanted search engines from your installed internet browsers.
1. Install the free or paid version of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.
2. Once Malwarebytes is installed, run the program. If you are using the free version of Malwarebytes you will be prompted to update the database, make sure to do so.
3. On the first tab labeled “Scanner” select the Perform full scan option and click the Scan button to perform a full system scan. Malwarebytes will automatically detect malware infecting the computer system.
4. Once the malware scan is complete, Malwarebytes may prompt a notice stating malicious objects were detected. Select the malicious objects and click the Remove Selected button to completely remove the malicious files from your computer (the image below shows a file that is NOT selected) or click the Delete button to remove quarantined files.
CCleaner can be used to automatically repair internet browser settings startup up settings, and uninstall Cartwheel Shopping adware and associated third-party software.
1. Install the free or paid version of CCleaner by Piriform.
2. Once installed, open the program and navigate to Cleaner > Windows/Applications and click the Analyze button. Afterwards, click the Run Cleaner button on the bottom right of the program interface.
3. Next, navigate to Tools > Startup and search through each tab starting from windows, internet explorer, etc., all the way to Content Menu, for additional suspicious entries and click Disable and Delete once anything is found.
4. To automatically uninstall Cartwheel Shopping and other unwanted programs, navigate to the Uninstall tab and search for Cartwheel Shopping, etc. in the list of installed programs. Uninstall the unwanted software as selected by clicking the Run Uninstaller button.
2. Manual Cartwheel Shopping virus removal
Use the instructions below to manually uninstall Cartwheel Shopping adware and third-party software using generic Microsoft Windows removal procedures.
How to uninstall Cartwheel Shopping adware
1. Access Windows Start Menu and navigate to the Control Panel.
2. Click Uninstall a program or Add and remove a program.
3. In the list of installed programs search for Cartwheel Shopping and other potentially unwanted software. Once located, double click the unwanted programs or highlight them in the list and click the Uninstall button.
How to remove Cartwheel Shopping add-ons and extensions
Use the instructions to remove Cartwheel Shopping add-ons, extensions, plug-ins, and toolbars. Please note, it may be necessary to remove multiple third-party items.
1. Click on the Customize icon (wrench or 3 bar icon) next to the address bar and navigate to Tools > Extensions.
2. Search for the Cartwheel Shopping extension and remove it by clicking the trashcan icon next to them.
1. Type Ctrl+Shift+A.
2. On the Extensions and Plugin search for the Cartwheel Shopping add-on and remove it.
Microsoft Internet Explorer
1. Click Tools and select Manage add-ons.
2. On the Toolbars and Extensions tab search for the Cartwheel Shopping add-on and remove it if located.