Remove Blekko Virus – Blekko Redirection Virus Removal Instructions
What is the Blekko virus (Blekko.com redirect)?
Blekko is a malicious website and Toolbar categorized as a browser hijacker, also referred to as the Blekko.com redirection virus or simply the Blekko virus. Blekko.com launched November 1st, 2012 and is an ironically alleged spam-free search engine that attempts to provide a cleaner search results page than Bing, Google, and Yahoo by cutting out low ranked sites known as content farms.
The Blekko virus mainly affects internet browser settings such as the Home Page and Provided Search Engine causing internet browsers to redirect to blekko.com and relating websites upon using the browser’s address bar to search the internet or type in URLs. The Blekko virus may also cause web browser’s to redirect to fake Google websites and/or paid Google search where Blekko is paid per each link clicked.
Blekko virus dangers
Reported dangers relating to the Blekko virus and similar browser hijackers.
- The Blekko virus alters internet browser settings without permission causing home pages to change to Blekko.com and similar websites.
- The Blekko virus changes provided search engines, or the browser’s internal search engine, causing internet searches and URLs inputted into the browser’s address bar to redirect to and/or through Blekko.com and a variety of associated websites (pictured below).
- The Blekko virus opens a backdoor for third party infection, as well as bundles with adware and spyware platforms. Victims infected with the Blekko virus have also reported unwanted advertisements displayed via Blekko, in particular pop-up style adverts.
- The Blekko virus and third party infections are capable of collecting browser, computer, and personal information such as browser history, system resouces, credit card numbers, social security numbers, home addresses, and more. Furthermore, the information collected by Blekko and third parties via browser hijackers (BHOs) and keyloggers can be used in credit schemes, extortion, and other severe cyber criminal activity including identity theft.
If the Blekko virus and Blekko web search has affected your computer and internet browser without consent, you are infected with malware, viruses, and/or Trojans. It is very important to use the steps provided in this article to completely remove any trace of the Blekko virus and associated malware from your computer and browser to protect your computer’s functionality and your personal life.
How to get infected with the Blekko virus
The Blekko virus can be voluntarily installed via Blekko based websites and contracted without knowledge that the browser helper objects provided with and affiliated with Blekko and the Blekko search engine are harmful (entrapment). In the image a few paragraphs above, you can see a popup in the bottom right corner that says “Add blekko to your search options spam-free search”. Clicking the popup link box will allow Blekko to hijack your internet browser settings.
The Blekko virus primarily involuntarily infects computer systems. Often the Blekko virus is contracted via a website hosting malware but has been reported to bundle with various CNET downloads without the down-loader’s consent.
How to remove the Blekko virus
Use the options below to remove the Blekko virus, and detect and remove third party malware infecting your system. Once removal of the Blekko virus is complete, proceed to repair your browser settings such as Home Page and Provided Search Engine if affected.
Removal Tip – Blekko Virus Manual Removal
It is not recommended to manauly remove the Blekko virus, but if you wish to search for Blekko files and registy entries affecting your system, the locations are detailed below.
Remove Blekko Files
Search for and remove associated Blekko files.
%AllUsersProfile%\Application Data\~[random] %AllUsersProfile%\Application Data\~r[random] %AllUsersProfile%\Application Data\[random].dll %AllUsersProfile%\Application Data\[random].exe %AllUsersProfile%\Application Data\[random] %UserProfile%\Desktop\Blekko.com.lnk %UserProfile%\Start Menu\Programs\Blekko.com\Blekko.com.lnk
Remove Blekko Registry Entries
To access Window’s Registry Editor type regedit into the Window’s Start Menu search field and press Enter.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Random Letters HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce\Random Letters HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce\Random Letters HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\13376694984709702142491016734454 HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run 13376694984709702142491016734454?
Un-register Blekko DLLs
1. Anti-Malware Software (Detect And Remove Malware)
Malwarebytes is the most recommended Antivirus / Anti-Malware software used to scan, detect, and remove malware such as browser hijackers and related parasites. View other reputable Antivirus software recommendations.
2. System Restore (Optional Troubleshooting)
Perform a system restore to an automatic restore point created by Windows each week and during system updates. A System Restore can be used to “restore” the computer to a date and time before the Blekko and Blekko.com infection was contracted.
- Learn more and view complete System Restore instructions
- Learn more and view Windows 8 Refresh and Reset instructions
3. Uninstall Blekko Application (Window’s Uninstaller)
Browser hijackers and related malware often install an application or program onto a computer system in order to properly accommodate their strategy. Use the directions below to completely uninstall the Blekko program or malicious program affecting your attached browser helper objects.
Search for Blekko and third party software on your computer. If any suspicious programs are found, research them, and if needed remove them.
1. Access Window’s Start Menu and select Control Panel
2. Select Uninstall a program or Add and remove programs
3. Look for Blekko (Blekko Toolbar) and other suspicious (potentially malicious) applications/software in the list of installed programs and click the Uninstall button or double click the program to remove it.
4. Remove Search Blekko Toolbar, Add-ons, & Extensions
Before removing Blekko and related add-ons, extensions, and toolbars, make sure you have uninstalled any relating software from your computer using the steps above.
Use the steps below to remove the Blekko and third party browser helper objects attached to each browser installed on your computer.
1. Click Tools and select Add-ons. (Ctrl+Shift+A)
2. On the Extensions and Plugin search for Blekko Toolbar and additional third party add-ons. Remove Blekko Toolbar and any third party add-ons if located.
Microsoft Internet Explorer
1. Click Tools and select Manage add-ons.
2. On the Toolbars and Extensions tab search for the Blekko Toolbar and additional third party add-ons. Remove Blekko and any third party add-ons if located.
1. Click on the Customize icon (wrench or 3 bar icon) next to the address bar and navigate to Tools > Extensions.
2. Search for the Blekko Toolbar and additional third party extensions. Remove the Blekko extension (and others) by clicking the trashcan icon adjacent to the add-on/extension/toolbar.
5. Repair Home Page (Remove Blekko.com Home Page)
The instructions below detail how to remove Blekko.com and other associated URLs from your home page. For internet browsers Mozilla Firefox, Microsoft Internet Explorer, and Google Chrome.
1. Click Tools and select Options.
2. On the General tab search for and remove Blekko.com and other malicious URLs. Click Restore to Default or add your preferred web address once Blekko.com (etc) is removed.
Microsoft Internet Explorer
1. Click Tools and select Internet Options.
2. On the General tab remove Blekko.com and other and other malicious URLs. Click Restore to Default or add your preferred web address as your home page.
1. Click on the Customize and control Google Chrome icon (Wrench or 3 bar icon) next to the address bar and select Settings.
2. Under the On startup section click Set pages.
3. To remove Blekko.com and other malicious URLs that have hijacked Google Chrome’s home page (Start up page), click the X next to Blekko.com when highlighted. Click OK. Add or keep your preferred home page address such as botcrawl.com, or Google.com.
6. Repair Search Engine (Stop Redirecting To Blekko.com)
If your browser is redirecting to Blekko.com and other unwanted websites while searching the internet using the address bar or inputting URLs into the address bar, etc, use the steps below to repair your browser’s internal search engine.
1. Click the small search arrow or magnify glass near the search bar at the top of the internet browser.
2. Click the Manage search engines… option.
3. Select the Blekko.com search address and click remove. If you don’t see the malicious search provider on the list of search engines, it might be set as the default engine or listed under Other search engines.
Microsoft Internet Explorer
1. Click Tools and select Manage add-ons.
2. Navigate to the Search Providers list.
3. Select the Blekko.com search address and click the Remove button.
1. Click the Customize and control Google Chrome icon (3 bar or wrench icon) and select Settings.
2. In the Search section click the Manage search engines… button.
3. Remove the Blekko.com search provider by clicking the X next to it when highlighted.
If the Blekko.com search provider is set as the default search engine on Google Chrome, add or chose another search engine (such as Google.com) as a default engine by selecting the legitimate search engine and clicking the make default transparent blue box that appears when the selection is highlighted.
7. Delete Browser Cache And Cookie Files (Browser Data)
If you visited Blekko.com and/or suspicious websites during the Blekko.com infection, or clicked promoted third party links, it is strongly recommended to delete your browser data to protect your privacy. You can delete your browser cache and cookie files in your browser’s preference or settings.
Virus Removal Helpline 1- Call and the Virus is Gone! 1-888-986-8411