How to remove Blekko (Virus Removal Guide)
Blekko (also searched for as Blekko virus) is the name of a questionable website and Toolbar that is recognized as an adware type program and browser hijacker by reputable internet security products. The blekko.com domain was launched on November 1st, 2012 and claims to be a spam-free search engine that attempts to provide a cleaner search results page than Bing, Google, and Yahoo by cutting out low ranked sites known as content farms.
The Blekko virus mainly affects internet browser settings such as the Home Page and Provided Search Engine causing internet browsers to redirect to blekko.com and relating websites upon using the browser’s address bar to search the internet or type in URLs. The Blekko virus may also cause web browser’s to redirect to fake Google websites and/or paid Google search where Blekko is paid per each link clicked.
- The Blekko virus alters internet browser settings without permission causing home pages to change to Blekko.com and similar websites.
- The Blekko virus changes provided search engines, or the browser’s internal search engine, causing internet searches and URLs inputted into the browser’s address bar to redirect to and/or through Blekko.com and a variety of associated websites (pictured below).
- The Blekko virus opens a backdoor for third party infection, as well as bundles with adware and spyware platforms. Victims infected with the Blekko virus have also reported unwanted advertisements displayed via Blekko, in particular pop-up style adverts.
- The Blekko virus and third party infections are capable of collecting browser, computer, and personal information such as browser history, system resouces, credit card numbers, social security numbers, home addresses, and more. Furthermore, the information collected by Blekko and third parties via browser hijackers (BHOs) and keyloggers can be used in credit schemes, extortion, and other severe cyber criminal activity including identity theft.
If the Blekko virus and Blekko web search has affected your computer and internet browser without consent, you are infected with malware, viruses, and/or Trojans. It is very important to use the steps provided in this article to completely remove any trace of the Blekko virus and associated malware from your computer and browser to protect your computer’s functionality and your personal life.
Blekko Removal Guide
Follow the steps in this Blekko removal guide to remove “Blekko virus,” malware, and other threats from your PC and internet browser.
- Scan your computer with Malwarebytes
- Scan your computer with HitmanPro
- Uninstall Blekko and unwanted programs
- Remove Blekko and unwanted browser add-ons
- Cleanup and repair settings with CCleaner
1. Scan your computer with Malwarebytes
The first step to remove this program is to download and install Malwarebytes Anti-Malware software in order to perform a full system scan for malicious files.
2. Open Malwarebytes and click the Scan Now button or go to the Scan tab and click the Start Scan button.
3. When the Malwarebytes scan is complete click the Remove Selected button.
4. To finish the Malwarebytes scan and remove detected threats click the Finish button and restart your computer if promoted to do so.
2. Scan your computer with HitmanPro
The second step to remove this program is to download and install a second opinion scanner called HitmanPro by Surfright in order to perform a full system scan for malicious files.
2. Open HitmanPro and click Next to start scanning your computer. *If you are using the free version you may chose to create a copy or perform a one-time scan.
3. When the HitmanPro scan is complete click the Next button.
4. To activate the free version of HitmanPro: enter your email address twice and click the Activate button.
5. Click the Reboot button.
3. Uninstall Blekko and unwanted programs
The third step to remove this program is to uninstall Blekko and other unwanted programs in Windows Control Panel.
1. Open Windows Start Menu and go to the Control Panel.
2. In the Programs section click Uninstall a program. In earlier versions of Windows this is listed as “Add and remove programs.”
3. Search for Blekko in the list and double click it.
4. Once you have uninstalled Blekko search for other unwanted programs that may be installed on your computer and uninstall them as well.
4. Remove Blekko and unwanted browser add-ons
The fourth step to remove this program is to remove unwanted browser add-ons and extensions from Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Microsoft Internet Explorer, and Apple Safari.
1. Click the Customize and control Google Chrome icon and go to More tools > Extensions.
2. Search for the unwanted extension in the list and click the trashcan icon.
1. Open the Menu and click Add-ons.
2. Search for the unwanted add-on and click Remove.
Microsoft Internet Explorer
1. Go to Tools (Alt+X) and click Manage add-ons.
2. Search for the unwanted add-on in the list, select it with your mouse, and click Remove.
1. Go to Safari > Preferences > Extensions.
2. Search for the unwanted extension in the list and click the Uninstall button.
5. Cleanup and repair settings with CCleaner
The fifth step to remove this program is to download and install CCleaner by Piriform in order to delete leftover junk files, tracking cookies, registry entries, unwanted start-up tasks, and more.
2. Open CCleaner and go to the main Cleaner screen. Click the Analyze button. When the process is complete, click the Run Cleaner button on the bottom right of the program interface.
3. Go to Tools > Startup and search for suspicious entries in each tab starting from Windows all the way to Content Menu. If you find anything suspicious click it and click the Delete button to remove it.
4. Go to the Registry window and click the Scan for Issues button. When the scan is complete click the Fix selected issues… button and click Fix All Selected Issues.