How To Remove The BearShare Virus – Instructions To Uninstall BearShare Browser Hijacker Malware
What Is the BearShare virus (Search.bearshare.net Redirect)?
BearShare (bearshare.com) is malware (often refered to as the BearShare virus), categorized as a browser hijacker, allegedly used to download free music. The downside to using the BearShare music application is that BearShare primarily bundles with third party malware and utilizes unethical black-hat tactics, including social engineering to persuade unsuspecting victims to download and use the BearShare or download the Bearshare application to the computer system without permission, in order to collect sensitive information, redirect users to search.bearshare.net, start.bearshare.com, home.bearshare.com, default.bearshare.com, bearshare.net, ask.com, and/or install additional third party software, such as adware, spyware, worms, and Trojans.
Victims infected with the BearShare virus may notice existing internet browser settings have changed without their consent, including the home or start up page, and default search engine, which causes browsers to redirect to search.bearshare.net and relating websites, ultimately showing search results on Ask.com. To change existing browser settings, BearShare may install a program to the computer system which attaches a BHO to Internet Explorer and add-ons, extensions, including the Ask toolbar, used to generate revenue.
BearShare can be manually installed from bearshare.net and a variety of other websites. The bearshare redirect may also be a symptom of bundled software from sources such as CNET downloads.
Is BearShare Safe To Download And Use?
No, BearShare is not safe to download and use, for reasons concerning cyber criminal activity and the invasion of privacy.
- BearShare entraps victims to their’s and their sponsor’s terms which allows BearShare to install additional software to a computer system without direct permission. Additional software likely includes adware and spyware. Terms may include an infinite amount of malicious activities from infinite affiliated and sponsored sources.
- The Bearshare virus also changes the existing browsers default search engine, causing internet searches and URLs typed into the infected browsers address bar to redirect to search.bearshare.net, home.bearshare.com, start.bearshare.com, other web addresses on the bearshare.com domain, and third party domain names.
- BearShare and third parties change existing internet browser settings without permission including the internet browsers home page, in turn causing infected internet browsers such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox,and Microsoft Internet Explorer to start up on search.bearshare.net, home.bearshare.net, start.bearshare.net, other web addresses on the baershare.net and bearshare.com domains, and third party domain names upon booting the browser.
How To Remove The BearShare Virus – BearShare Redirect
- Antivirus & Anti-Malware Software – Scan, detect, and remove the BearShare virus and third party malware
- System Restore – Restore computer to date and time before issues
- Uninstall BearShare – Windows Uninstaller
- Remove BearShare Browser Attachment
- Remove Search.bearshare.net From Home Page – (If necessary)
- Remove Search.bearshare.net Search Engine – Stop redirect (If necessary)
- Safe Mode With Networking – Troubleshoot internet access and remove malware
- Manually Remove BearShare (Advanced) – Remove BearShare process, files, and entries
1. Antivirus & Anti-Malware Software
Instructions: 1. Install Malwarebytes 2. Update the software 3. Perform full scan (Image).
Malwarebytes will detect and remove additional malware from your computer, but if you do not wish to use software to remove the BearShare virus and relating malware, please proceed to the instructions below.
2. System Restore
Perform a system restore to an automatic restore point created by Window’s each week and during system updates. This can be used to remove new installments of software including BearShare and additional malware used to accommodate the hijacker.
System Restores can be used to remove entire installments of new software without harming your computer, nor deleting any data such as documents and media files (images, videos).
3. Uninstall BearShare
How To Uninstall BearShare (Windows Control Panel)
The video example below is an example of a third party program known as FBDownloader. To Uninstall BearShare, follow the same concept as the video, and/or simply use the steps detailed below.
1. Navigate to Windows Start Menu > Control Panel.
2. Click Uninstall a Program or Add/Remove Programs in the Programs section.
3. Search for BearShare and suspicious third party applications in the list of installed programs. Once located, double click the program to uninstall it, or right click, and click Uninstall.
4. Remove BearShare Browser Attachment
The instructions below describe how to remove BearShare add-ons and exensions. It is also recommended to search for third party add-ons and extensions, including the Ask toolbar, and adware/spyware platforms.
1. Click Tools and select Add-ons (Ctrl+Shift+A) or click Firefox in the top left corner and select Add-ons.
2. On the Extensions and Plugin search for BearShare and additional third party add-ons and remove them.
Microsoft Internet Explorer
1. Click Tools and select Manage add-ons.
2. On the Toolbars and Extensions tab search for BearShare and additional third party add-ons and remove them.
1. Click on the Customize icon (wrench or 3 bar icon) next to the address bar and navigate to Tools > Extensions.
2. Search for BearShare and additional third party extensions. Remove the extensions by clicking the trashcan icon adjacent to the add-on/extension/toolbar.
5. Remove Search.bearshare.net From Home Page
CCleaner ↔ Install
An alternative recommendation is to use a program such as CCleaner to repair all browser settings at once with productive accuracy.
1. Install CCleaner.
2. Navigate to Cleaner > Windows/Applications and click the Analyze button. Afterwards, click the Run Cleaner button on the bottom right of the program interface.
How To Manually Remove Search.bearshare.net From Home Page
In Google Chrome click the customize icon (wrench or 3 bars) and navigate to Settings. Click “Set pages” under the On startup option. Remove search.bearshare.netm and replace it with your preferred URL.
In Mozilla Firefox navigate to Tools > Options or click Firefox in the top left corner and click Options > Options. Under the General tab remove search.bearshare.net from the “Home Page:” field and replace it with your preferred home page.
In Microsoft Internet Explorer navigate to Tools >Internet Options. Remove search.bearshare.net from the Home Page field and replace it with your preferred URL.
6. Remove Search.bearshare.net Search Engine
CCleaner ↔ Install
1. Install CCleaner.
2. Navigate to Tools > Startup and search through each tab starting from windows, internet explorer, etc., all the way to Content Menu, for additional suspicious entries and click Disable and Delete once anything is found.
How To Manually Remove Search.bearshare.net Search Engine
In Google Chrome, click the customize icon (wrench or 3 bars) and navigate to Settings > Manage search engines… click the X next to search.bearshare.net to remove it as your search engine. If search.bearshare.net is set as the default search engine add or select a new search engine and select the new search engine as the default search engine, then remove reimage.com.
In Mozilla Firefox, click the small search magnify glass near the search box (not url/search field) and click “Manage Search Engines…”. Remove search.bearshare.net from the list of search providers by highlighting the selections and clicking remove.
In Microsoft Internet Explorer navigate to Tools > Manage Add Ons > Search Providers and remove the malicious search.bearshare.net search engine from the list.
7. Safe Mode With Networking
Safe Mode with Networking can be used to troubleshoot internet access (Safe Mode can be used to simply access the system) and install software to remove the search.bearsharenet redirect virus and third party malware.
1. Restart your computer.
2. Before Window’s launches tap the F8 key constantly to access the appropriate menu. Use the keyboard arrow keys to navigate to and highlight the Safe Mode with Networking option and press ENTER.
3. You can now access the internet or your network to install legitimate software to remove BearShare.
8. Manually Remove BearShare (Advanced)
Stop BearShare Process
1. Access Window’s Task Manager typing Ctrl+Shift+Esc.
2. Find and remove the BearShare process.
Remove BearShare Files
Repair And Remove BearShare Registry Entries
1. Access Window’s Registry Editor by navigating to the Start Menu and typing regedit into the search bar, followed by pressing Enter.
2. If you are not experienced with repairing or removing Registry entries, keys, etc, please do not proceed. Search for BearShare registry entries below and remove them.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\FeatureControl\FEATURE_ERROR_PAGE_BYPASS_ZONE_CHECK_FOR_HTTPS_KB954312 HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings "WarnOnHTTPSToHTTPRedirect" = 0 HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System "DisableRegedit" = 0 HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System "DisableRegistryTools" = 0 HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System "DisableTaskMgr" = 0 HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run "Inspector".