How to remove Babylon (Virus Removal Guide)
Babylon (also found as Babylon virus) is a questionable website and program that usually enters and makes changes to a computer system and internet browser without user knowledge. Programs include Babylon 9 Translation software and Dictionary Tool, Babylon Mobile, Babylon White Label Apps, Babylon Toolbar, and others. Babylon programs and programs that it affiliates with are known to corrupt internet browser settings of Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Microsoft Internet Explorer, and Apple Safari. They change the homepage, default search engine, and browser shortcut in order to cause browser redirects to babylon.com, search.babylon.com, and other webpages.
Victims infected with the “Babylon virus” may notice a variety of unwanted activities including browser redirections to a Babylon.com based website such as search.babylon.com or related third party website when they open a new browser window, open a new browser tab, or search the web using the browser address bar. Babylon also changes home page settings, causing internet browsers to start up at search.babylon.com and other webpages
The Babylon virus can infect a computer system and attach to an internet browser many different ways. The Babylon virus can be contracted via browser hijackers, including third party browser helper objects such as add-ons, extensions, plugins, and Toolbars, and can also bundle with third party freeware, shareware, and torrents. Also note, most Babylon programs, software, and browser helper objects can be voluntarily and manually initiated.
- Step 1: Uninstall Babylon programs
- Step 2: Remove browser add-on and extensions
- Step 3: Remove www.babylon.com search engine
- Step 4: Remove www.babylon.com homepage
- Step 5: Remove Babylon virus with Malwarebytes
- Step 6: Clean up and repair settings with CCleaner
Step 1: Uninstall Babylon programs
1. We recommend writing down the toll free number below in case you run into any issues or problems while following the instructions. Our techs will kindly assist you with any problems.
2. Open Windows Start Menu and go to the Control Panel.
3. Click Uninstall a program (or Add and remove a program).
4. A list of programs installed on your computer will appear. Search for suspicious and unwanted programs in the list of installed programs. Once a program you want to remove is located, double click to begin the uninstall process (or select the program and click Uninstall). Programs you may locate include Babylon Browser and Tny_Babylon.
Step 2: Remove browser add-ons and extensions
1. Click on the Customize icon (3 bar icon) next to the address bar and navigate to More tools > Extensions.
2. Search for the extension and remove it by clicking the trashcan icon next to it.
1. Type Ctrl+Shift+A.
2. On the Extensions and Plugin search for the add-on, select it, and remove it.
Step 3: Remove www.babylon.com search engine
- In Mozilla Firefox, click the small search magnify glass near the search box (not url/search field) and click “Manage Search Engines…”. Remove babylon search engine from the list of search providers by highlighting the selections and clicking remove.
- In Microsoft Internet Explorer navigate to Tools > Manage Add Ons > Search Providers and remove babylon search engine from the list.
- In Google Chrome, click the customize icon (wrench or 3 bars) and navigate to Settings > Manage search engines… click the X next to babylon search engine to remove it.
Step 4: Remove www.babylon.com homepage
- In Mozilla Firefox navigate to Tools > Options or click Firefox in the top left corner and click Options > Options. Under the General tab remove babylon.com from the “Home Page:” field and replace it with your preferred home page URL.
- In Microsoft Internet Explorer navigate to Tools >Internet Options. Remove babylon.com from the Home Page field and replace it with your preferred URL.
- In Google Chrome click the customize icon (wrench or 3 bars) and navigate to Settings. Click “Set pages” under the On startup option. Remove babylon.com and replace it with your preferred homepage URL.
Step 5: Remove Babylon virus with Malwarebytes
1. Download and Install the free or full version of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. The full version enables real-time protection to block malware and unwanted programs from infecting your computer, while the free version is just a free scan and removal tool.
2. Once Malwarebytes is installed, open the Anti-Malware program and click the Scan Now button or visit the “Scan” tab to manually run a scan. Malwarebytes may automatically begin to update and scan your computer at this point.
3. When the malware scan is complete, click the Quarantine All button to isolate and remove the detected files. You may be asked to reboot your computer to completely remove detected files.
Step 6: Clean up and repair settings with CCleaner
1. Download and Install the free or full version of CCleaner by Piriform.
2. Open CCleaner after it is installed and navigate to Cleaner > Windows/Applications and click the Analyze button. Afterwards, click the Run Cleaner button.
3. Next, navigate to Tools > Startup and search for suspicious entries through each tab starting from Windows, Internet Explorer, etc., all the way to Context Menu and click Disable and Delete once anything you do not recognize is found. This will help you locate and remove unwanted browser attachments and repair other settings.