How to remove Teoma.com (Virus Removal Guide)
Teoma.com virus (also known as Teoma Web Search) is a browser hijacker that replaces your browser’s existing homepage, new tab page, and search engine. When this occurs your browser will start-up on teoma.com and redirect to teoma.com when you open a new browser tab or search the web using the address bar. If your homepage, new tab page, and search engine has changed to teoma.com it means that your computer has contracted a cooperating potentially unwanted program or browser attachment.
Although many call this threat the “teoma.com virus” the infection is not technically described as a computer virus; However, cooperating objects, like the previously mentioned browser extension that bares the same name as the website, are very intrusive and deceptive. For example, the cooperating browser extension can be advertised as something it is not in order to trick users into installing it. The extension will then have permission to read and change all your data on the websites you visit, communicate with cooperating websites, change your search settings to: teoma.com, and more.
- Commercial advertisements
- Browser redirects to teoma.com and other websites
- Slow and sluggish computer
- Decreased internet connectivity, functionality, and performance
- Bundles with or is advertised alongside malware and other potentially unwanted programs
How to remove teoma.com (Virus Removal Guide)
- Step 1: Uninstall potentially unwanted programs
- Step 2: Remove browser add-on and extensions
- Step 3: Remove Teoma.com search engine
- Step 4: Remove Teoma.com homepage
- Step 5: Scan your computer for malware
- Step 6: Clean up and repair settings
Step 1: Uninstall potentially unwanted programs
1. Go to the Control Panel on Windows Start Menu.
2. Click Uninstall a program (or Add and remove a program) in the Programs section.
3. The Programs and Features window will open. This window contains a list of programs installed on your computer. Search for suspicious and unwanted programs in the list of installed programs. Once a program you want to remove is located, double click it to begin the uninstall process (or select the program and click Uninstall). To sort programs that were recently installed on your computer click the “Installed On” tab. This makes it easier to identify problematic programs that may have been contracted around the same time you started to notice symptoms of this infection.
Step 2: Remove browser add-ons and extensions
1. Click the Customize and control Google Chrome icon and go to More tools > Extensions.
2. Search for suspicious extensions in the list and click the trashcan icon next to each one.
1. Open the Menu and click Add-ons.
2. Search for suspicious add-ons and click Remove next to each one.
Microsoft Internet Explorer
1. Go to Tools (Alt+X) and click Manage add-ons.
2. Search for suspicious add-ons, select one individually with your mouse, and click Remove.
1. Go to Safari > Preferences > Extensions.
2. Search for suspicious extensions in the list and click the Uninstall button next to each one.
Step 3: Remove Teoma.com search engine
- In Mozilla Firefox, click the small search magnify glass near the search box (not url/search field) and click “Manage Search Engines…”. Remove Teoma.com search engine from the list of search providers by highlighting the selections and clicking remove.
- In Microsoft Internet Explorer navigate to Tools > Manage Add Ons > Search Providers and remove Teoma.com search engine from the list.
- In Google Chrome, click the customize icon (wrench or 3 bars) and navigate to Settings > Manage search engines… click the X next to Teoma.com search engine to remove it.
Step 4: Remove Teoma.com homepage
- In Mozilla Firefox navigate to Tools > Options or click Firefox in the top left corner and click Options > Options. Under the General tab remove Teoma.com from the “Home Page:” field and replace it with your preferred home page URL.
- In Microsoft Internet Explorer navigate to Tools >Internet Options. Remove Teoma.com from the Home Page field and replace it with your preferred URL.
- In Google Chrome click the customize icon (wrench or 3 bars) and navigate to Settings.Click “Set pages” under the On startup option. Remove Teoma.com and replace it with your preferred homepage URL.
Step 5: Scan your computer for malware
2. Open HitmanPro and click Next to start scanning your computer. *If you are using the free version you may chose to create a copy or perform a one-time scan.
3. When the HitmanPro scan is complete click the Next button.
4. To activate the free version of HitmanPro: enter your email address twice and click the Activate button.
5. Click the Reboot button.
Step 6: Clean up and repair settings
2. Open CCleaner and go to the main Cleaner screen. Click the Analyze button. When the process is complete, click the Run Cleaner button on the bottom right of the program interface.
3. Go to Tools > Startup and search for suspicious entries in each tab starting from Windows all the way to Content Menu. If you find anything suspicious click it and click the Delete button to remove it.
4. Go to the Registry window and click the Scan for Issues button. When the scan is complete click the Fix selected issues… button and click Fix All Selected Issues.