How to remove SweetTunes Toolbar – Removal Instructions
SweetTunes Toolbar (SweetTunes virus)
The SweetTunes virus (also found as SweetTunes Search virus; though not technically a computer virus) is potential malware or an unwanted program categorized as adware, browser hijacker, and spyware. SweetTunes Toolbar primarily installs to a Microsoft Windows computer systems and attaches to Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, and Microsoft Internet Explorer as a browser add-on, browser helper object (BHO), and extension without user consent alongside software downloaded from download.com, softonic.com, and other monetized freeware and shareware distribution websites.
Once installed, SweetTunes and associated third-party malware begins to corrupt internet browser settings, including the homepage, default search engine, and even bookmarks and add-ons. In turn SweetTunes malware causes unwanted browser redirections to SweetTunes Search,search.conduit.com, and other websites. This also causes affected browsers to target and start up on unwanted websites when users open a new browser tab or window.
SweetTunes also assists in displaying unwanted advertisements. SweetTunes advertisements may appear as drop-down coupon ads alike Coupon Companion, scrolling menu ads, pop-up ads, pop-under ads, and even as in-text advertisements similar to Infolinks. It should be noted that advertisements are not served by SweetTunes, but instead advertisements are generated by sponsored third-parties such as BonanzaDeals that may bundle with the SweetTunes extension and recently installed freeware or shareware.
Victims of potential SweetTunes malware often claim that the program installed to their computer alongside other bloatware or malware such as adware and spyware without consent. One of our website visitors also stated that downloading legitimate software from download.com, allowed CNET to install unwanted software without their permission. It’s true, SweetTunes Toolbar and similar hijackers such as TopArcadeHits may install alongside freeware, shareware, codecs, and even torrents. It’s recommended to avoid downloading items from websites such as download.com.
Victims of the SweetTunes virus have stated that their sensitive information concerning their credit cards and identity may have been compromised. Some victims have claimed that they have been attacked by scam artists over the telephone who have used collected sensitive information in order to persuade unsuspecting victims to perform non-beneficial tasks, etc. While these cases are rare, SweetTunes Toolbar may collect sensitive user information and distribute the data to third-party mailing and marketing lists. Most users complain of unwanted email spam, junk mail, and telephone calls from telemarketers.
The SweetTunes add-on and extension is an extremely intrusive and will invade user privacy. SweetTunes spyware has permission to access all data on your computer and the websites you visit.
The collection of this information is a concern for cyber crimes relating to credit theft, extortion, and identity theft.
SweetTunes Toolbar will also sign users out of synced browser accounts, remove all existing browser settings, and remove existing add-ons and extensions.
How to remove the SweetTunes virus
- Automatically remove SweetTunes Toolbar – Scan for and automatically remove SweetTunes malware
- Manually remove SweetTunes Toolbar – Remove/Uninstall SweetTunes Toolbar and third-party malware
1. Automatic SweetTunes virus removal
Use the instructions below to automatically remove SweetTunes and third-party malware, as well as automatically remove unwanted search engines (MySearchDial) from your home page, default search engine, browser shortcuts, and other hijacked settings using free or paid versions of reputable software.
1. Install the free or paid version of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.
2. Once Malwarebytes is installed, run the program. If you are using the free version of Malwarebytes you will be prompted to update the database, make sure to do so.
3. On the first tab labeled “Scanner” select the Perform full scan option and click the Scan button to perform a full system scan. Malwarebytes will automatically detect malware infecting the computer system.
4. Once the malware scan is complete, Malwarebytes may prompt a notice stating malicious objects were detected including SweetTunes, etc. Select the malicious objects and click the Remove Selected button to completely remove the malicious files from your computer (the image below shows a file that is NOT selected) or click the Delete button to remove quarantined files.
CCleaner can be used to automatically repair internet browser settings startup up settings, and uninstall stubborn SweetTunes software. You can even use CCleaner to remove ransomware, but that does not apply here.
1. Install the free or paid version of CCleaner by Piriform.
2. Once installed, open the program and navigate to Cleaner > Windows/Applications and click the Analyze button. Afterwards, click the Run Cleaner button on the bottom right of the program interface.
3. Next, navigate to Tools > Startup and search through each tab starting from windows, internet explorer, etc., all the way to Content Menu, for additional suspicious entries and click Disable and Delete once anything is found.
4. To automatically uninstall SweetTunes (SweetTunes Toolbar for IE) and unwanted programs, navigate to the Uninstall tab and search for SweetTunes software, etc. in the list of installed programs. Uninstall the programs as selected.
2. Manual SweetTunes virus removal
Use the instructions below to manually uninstall SweetTunes using generic removal procedures.
How to uninstall SweetTunes malware
1. Access Windows Start Menu and navigate to the Control Panel.
2. Click Uninstall a program or Add and remove a program.
3. In the list of installed programs, search for SweetTunes (SweetTunes Toolbar for IE and other potentially unwanted software, including software downloaded from websites such as download.com. Once located, double click the unwanted programs or highlight them in the list and click the Uninstall button.
How to remove the SweetTunes add-on and extension
Use the instructions to remove SweetTunes add-ons, extensions, plugins, and toolbars. Please note, it may be necessary to remove third-party browser attachments.
1. Click on the Customize icon (wrench or 3 bar icon) next to the address bar and navigate to Tools > Extensions.
2. Search for the SweetTunes Toolbar extension and remove it by clicking the trashcan icon next to them.
1. Type Ctrl+Shift+A.
2. On the Extensions and Plugin search for the SweetTunes Toolbar add-on and remove it.
Microsoft Internet Explorer
1. Click Tools and select Manage add-ons.
2. On the Toolbars and Extensions tab search for the SweetTunes Toolbar add-on and remove it if located.