How to remove SpeedBit.com and SpeedBit Search Toolbar
SpeedBit.com is a website associated with deceptive and intrusive browse hijackers and potentially unwanted programs such as SpeedBit Search Toolbar. These programs basically “hijack” your homepage, default search engine, new tab, and other browser settings. This causes affected browsers to redirect to search.speedbit.com, home.speedbit.com, start.speedbit.com, restore.speedbit.com, and other webpages. SpeedBit.com is not typically defined or scanned as a malicious website; However, the SpeedBit.com search engine is often used by unethical third-party software bundlers and download managers such as 7zip Packages to generate revenue via sponsored third-party search results, advertisements, and more. These third-party objects usually bundle software that changes your existing browser settings, which causes browser redirects to SpeedBit.com. Furthermore, these objects also bundle with other unwanted programs, adware, and malware.
The method to remove SpeedBit.com and possible malware from your computer is simple. You must manually change your existing browser settings, possibly remove unwanted browser add-ons and extensions, and possibly uninstall third-party programs. We also recommend to scan your computer for existing malware that can remain hidden on your computer.
SpeedBit.com Removal Steps
- Step 1: Uninstall potentially unwanted programs
- Step 2: Remove browser add-on and extensions
- Step 3: Remove SpeedBit.com search engine
- Step 4: Remove SpeedBit.com homepage
- Step 5: Scan your computer for malware
- Step 6: Clean up
Step 1: Uninstall potentially unwanted programs
1.Navigate to the Control Panel on Windows Start Menu.
2. Click Uninstall a program (or Add and remove a program).
3. A list of programs installed on your computer will appear. Search for suspicious and unwanted programs in the list of installed programs. Once a program you want to remove is located, double click to begin the uninstall process (or select the program and click Uninstall).
Step 2: Remove browser add-ons and extensions
1. Click on the Customize icon (3 bar icon) next to the address bar and navigate to More tools > Extensions.
2. Search for the extension and remove it by clicking the trashcan icon next to it.
1. Type Ctrl+Shift+A.
2. On the Extensions and Plugin search for the add-on, select it, and remove it.
Step 3: Remove SpeedBit.com search engine
- In Mozilla Firefox, click the small search magnify glass near the search box (not url/search field) and click “Manage Search Engines…”. Remove SpeedBit.com search engine from the list of search providers by highlighting the selections and clicking remove.
- In Microsoft Internet Explorer navigate to Tools > Manage Add Ons > Search Providers and remove SpeedBit.com search engine from the list.
- In Google Chrome, click the customize icon (wrench or 3 bars) and navigate to Settings > Manage search engines… click the X next to SpeedBit.com search engine to remove it.
Step 4: Remove SpeedBit.com homepage
- In Mozilla Firefox navigate to Tools > Options or click Firefox in the top left corner and click Options > Options. Under the General tab remove SpeedBit.com from the “Home Page:” field and replace it with your preferred home page URL.
- In Microsoft Internet Explorer navigate to Tools >Internet Options. Remove SpeedBit.com from the Home Page field and replace it with your preferred URL.
- In Google Chrome click the customize icon (wrench or 3 bars) and navigate to Settings.Click “Set pages” under the On startup option. Remove SpeedBit.com and replace it with your preferred homepage URL.
Step 5: Scan your computer for malware
1. Download and Install the free or full version of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. The full version enables real-time protection to block malware and unwanted programs from infecting your computer, while the free version is just a free scan and removal tool.
2. Once Malwarebytes is installed, open the Anti-Malware program and click the Scan Now button or visit the “Scan” tab to manually run a scan. Malwarebytes may automatically begin to update and scan your computer at this point.
3. When the malware scan is complete, click the Quarantine All button to isolate and remove the detected files. You may be asked to reboot your computer to completely remove detected files.
Step 6: Clean up and repair settings
1. Download and Install the free or full version of CCleaner by Piriform.
2. Open CCleaner after it is installed and navigate to Cleaner > Windows/Applications and click the Analyze button. Afterwards, click the Run Cleaner button.
3. Next, navigate to Tools > Startup and search for suspicious entries through each tab starting from Windows, Internet Explorer, etc., all the way to Context Menu and click Disable and Delete once anything you do not recognize is found. This will help you locate and remove unwanted browser attachments and repair other settings.