How to remove Social Homepage (Virus Removal Guide)
Social Homepage is a deceptive browser extension that is usually promoted and advertised by untrustworthy advertising platforms embedded into mostly questionable websites such as torrenting sites, streaming media sites, and rogue websites. The extension is recognized as a potentially unwanted program (PUP) and adware by reputable security sources due to the way it is advertised and the functions it can perform without consent. The Social Homepage extension primarily hijacks the homepage, new tab setting, and default search engine of Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Microsoft Internet Explorer, and Apple Safari and changes it to search.bitcro.com. This will cause affected browsers to start up on and redirect to search.bitcro.com when a new browser window is opened, a new tab is opened, and a search is performed in the address bar. The extension may also bundle with or be promoted alongside other objects that can generate pop-up advertisements while you browse the web, change and control additional browser settings, and collect personal information.
|Name(s)||Social Homepage, Social Homepage virus|
|Detection Categories||Adware, Potentially Unwanted Program (PUP)|
|Publisher Description||Connecting top Social Networks into one Social Homepage.|
|Symptoms||The user may experience unwanted advertisements and redirects to sponsored webpages in the browser.|
|Removal Tool||Download Malware Removal Tool (Malwarebytes)|
What is Social Homepage?
Social Homepage is a deceptive, intrusive, and misleading browser extension that is promoted as a free tool to allegedly help you connect to top social networks on a single homepage.
The Social Homepage extension for Google Chrome has permission to read and change your data on the websites you visit. It also fails to mention that it will change your homepage and possibly your search settings which is uncommon for a legitimate extension to do.
The Social Homepage extension is usually promoted using deceptive marketing tactics on websites that primarily contain illegal or potentially illegal content. It may utilize pop-under advertisements pictured above to get users to install it.
- Advertisements in the web browser
- Redirects to sponsored webpages
- Slow and sluggish computer and internet
- Excessive email spam, junk mail, and phone calls from telemarketers, robocallers, and potential scam artists due to data collection
Social Homepage Removal Guide
Follow the steps in this Social Homepage removal guide to remove the Social Homepage extension, malware, and other threats to stop browser redirects to Social Homepage websites.
- Scan your computer with Malwarebytes
- Scan your computer with HitmanPro
- Uninstall Social Homepage and unwanted programs
- Remove Social Homepage and unwanted browser add-ons
- Cleanup and repair settings with CCleaner
1. Scan your computer with Malwarebytes
The first step to remove Social Homepage is to download and install Malwarebytes Anti-Malware software in order to perform a full system scan for malicious files.
2. Open Malwarebytes and click the Scan Now button or go to the Scan tab and click the Start Scan button.
3. When the Malwarebytes scan is complete click the Remove Selected button.
4. To finish the Malwarebytes scan and remove detected threats click the Finish button and restart your computer if promoted to do so.
2. Scan your computer with HitmanPro
The second step to remove Social Homepage is to download and install a second opinion scanner called HitmanPro by Surfright in order to perform a full system scan for malicious files.
2. Open HitmanPro and click Next to start scanning your computer. *If you are using the free version you may chose to create a copy or perform a one-time scan.
3. When the HitmanPro scan is complete click the Next button.
4. To activate the free version of HitmanPro: enter your email address twice and click the Activate button.
5. Click the Reboot button.
3. Uninstall Social Homepage and unwanted programs
The third step to remove Social Homepage is to uninstall Social Homepage and other unwanted programs in Windows Control Panel.
1. Open Windows Start Menu and go to the Control Panel.
2. In the Programs section click Uninstall a program. In earlier versions of Windows this is listed as “Add and remove programs.”
3. Search for Social Homepage in the list and double click Social Homepage to uninstall Social Homepage.
4. Once you have uninstalled Social Homepage search for other unwanted programs that may be installed on your computer and uninstall them as well.
4. Remove Social Homepage and unwanted browser add-ons
The fourth step to remove Social Homepage is to remove unwanted browser add-ons and extensions from Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Microsoft Internet Explorer, and Apple Safari.
1. Click the Customize and control Google Chrome icon and go to More tools > Extensions.
2. Search for the unwanted extension in the list and click the trashcan icon.
1. Open the Menu and click Add-ons.
2. Search for the unwanted add-on and click Remove.
Microsoft Internet Explorer
1. Go to Tools (Alt+X) and click Manage add-ons.
2. Search for the unwanted add-on in the list, select it with your mouse, and click Remove.
1. Go to Safari > Preferences > Extensions.
2. Search for the unwanted extension in the list and click the Uninstall button.
5. Cleanup and repair settings with CCleaner
The fifth step to remove Social Homepage is to download and install CCleaner by Piriform in order to delete leftover junk files, tracking cookies, registry entries, unwanted start-up tasks, and more.
2. Open CCleaner and go to the main Cleaner screen. Click the Analyze button. When the process is complete, click the Run Cleaner button on the bottom right of the program interface.
3. Go to Tools > Startup and search for suspicious entries in each tab starting from Windows all the way to Content Menu. If you find anything suspicious click it and click the Delete button to remove it.
4. Go to the Registry window and click the Scan for Issues button. When the scan is complete click the Fix selected issues… button and click Fix All Selected Issues.