What is Snap.do?
Snap.do (also found as search.snap.do) is a questionable search engine and title of a potentially unwanted program (PUP) in the browser hijacker category of computer threats. Programs used to promote the search engine often install without user consent and change existing browser settings, such as the homepage and internal search engine. This causes internet browsers to redirect to http://www.search.snap.do and other webpages when users open a new browser window, open a new browser tab, or search the web using the browser address bar.
Snap.do and other websites such as snapdo.com use browser add-ons, browser helper objects (BHOs), and browser extensions to attach to Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, and Microsoft Internet Explorer. These applications likely have permissions set allowing them to access, gather, and control user data and user settings.
Information collected by potential Snap.do malware include a user’s complete browsing activities, bookmarks, and history. This information is often used for a wide variety of marketing purposes and may warrant unsolicited targeted advertisements.
How to remove Snap.do
This Snap.do removal guide will help you completely remove Snap.do virus and other malware from your computer to stop unwanted browser redirects to search.snap.do, snap.do, snapdo.com, and other dubious search engines.
Step 1: Scan your computer for malware
1. We highly recommend writing down the toll free number below in case you run into any issues or problems while following the instructions. Our techs will kindly assist you with any problems.
if you need help give us a call
2. Install the free or full version of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. The full version enables real-time protection to block malware and unwanted programs from infecting your computer, while the free version is just a free scan and removal tool.
3. Once Malwarebytes is installed, run the Anti-Malware program. Malwarebytes may automatically begin to update and scan your computer at this point.
4. Once Malwarebytes has been opened, if a scan or update has not automatically initiated, please click the large Scan Now button or visit the “Scan” tab to manually run a scan. Before the scan is started Malwarebytes may ask to update the software, make sure to do so if prompted to.
5. Once the scan is complete, click the Quarantine All button to isolate and remove the detected files. You may be asked to reboot your computer after removal to completely remove detected files.
6. You can chose to visit the History tab and click Delete All to remove these files from the Quarantine log, although these files no longer provide a threat.
Step 2: Clean up and repair settings
1. Install the free or full version of CCleaner by Piriform.
2. Once installed, open the program and navigate to Cleaner and click the Analyze button. Afterwards, click the Run Cleaner button on the bottom right of the program interface. This will clean up unnecessary junk that may have been introduced to your computer.
3. Next, navigate to Tools > Startup and search through each tab starting from Windows, Internet Explorer, etc., all the way to Content Menu, for additional suspicious entries and click Disable and Delete once anything you do not recognize is found. This will help you locate and remove unwanted browser attachments and repair other settings.
Step 3: Manually uninstall Snap.do
1. Access Windows Start Menu and navigate to the Control Panel (on Windows 8, right click the bottom left corner to access the Windows 8 Start Menu).
2. Click Uninstall a program or Add and remove a program.
3. In the list of installed programs search for Snap.do or other program used to promote the search engine. Once the program is located, double click it or select the program in the list and click the Uninstall button to begin the uninstall process.
Step 4: Manually remove browser attachments
1. Click on the Customize icon (wrench or 3 bar icon) next to the address bar and navigate to More tools > Extensions.
2. Search for the Snap.do extension and remove it by clicking the trashcan icon next to it.
1. Type Ctrl+Shift+A.
2. On the Extensions and Plugin search for the Snap.do add-on and remove it.
Microsoft Internet Explorer
1. Click Tools and select Manage add-ons.
2. On the Toolbars and Extensions tab search for the Snap.do add-on, click it, and click the Remove button.
Step 5: Remove Snap.do search engine
- In Mozilla Firefox, click the small search magnify glass near the search box (not url/search field) and click “Manage Search Engines…”. Remove Snap.do search engine from the list of search providers by highlighting the selections and clicking remove.
- In Microsoft Internet Explorer navigate to Tools > Manage Add Ons > Search Providers and remove Snap.do search engine from the list.
- In Google Chrome, click the customize icon (wrench or 3 bars) and navigate to Settings > Manage search engines… click the X next to Snap.do search engine to remove it.
Please note, If http://www.snap.do/ is set as Google Chrome’s default search engine, add (or select) a new search engine (such as Google.com) and select the new search engine as the default search engine, then remove the unwanted search engine by clicking the X next to it.
Step 6: Remove Snap.do from homepage
- In Mozilla Firefox navigate to Tools > Options or click Firefox in the top left corner and click Options > Options. Under the General tab remove Snap.do.com from the “Home Page:” field and replace it with your preferred home page URL.
- In Microsoft Internet Explorer navigate to Tools >Internet Options. Remove Snap.do.com from the Home Page field and replace it with your preferred URL.
- In Google Chrome click the customize icon (wrench or 3 bars) and navigate to Settings.Click “Set pages” under the On startup option. Remove Snap.do.com and replace it with your preferred homepage URL.