SlamDunk Savings virus
The SlamDunk Savings virus (also found as SlamDunk virus; though not technically a computer virus) is malware categorized as adware and a browser hijacker that makes it way onto a computer system and attaches to popular Internet Browsers including Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, and Microsoft Internet Explorer as a browser add-on, browser helper object, and extension or without user consent. SlamDunk Savings also bundles with third-party items. Once installed, SlamDunk Savings malware begins to transform internet browser settings and displays unwanted pop-up advertisements, in-text ads, banner ads, and drop-down coupons ads.
SlamDunk Savings adware will attempt to display targeted coupons and offers for searched items or currently viewed online products. SlamDunk Savings ads may also illegally appear on a variety of websites without owner consent or knowledge. Once a program that is used to display SlamDunk Savings advertisements is installed it may begin to change Microsoft Windows start-up settings and internet browser settings. Furthermore unwanted applications used to promote SlamDunk Savings ads may intrude user privacy by collecting and distributing sensitive user information and ruin a computer’s functionality and internet browsing experience (browser redirections, homepage hijack).
SlamDunk Savings malware and third-party items have also been reported to submit collected a information to third-party marketing and mailing lists. Some users have reported an increase in email spam received, junk mail, and have even complained of unwanted telephone calls from telemarketers.
A similar adware platform associated with this particular item is SavingsShip. These titles may generate one another’s advertisements and display each other logos.
How does SlamDunk Savings malware get onto a computer?
SlamDunk Savings often bundles with third-party freeware and shareware. In some cases users are given the opportunity to accept or decline an offer to install SlamDunk Savings and other items; however, the request to decline the offer is often ignored or presented in a purposely confusing manner.
SlamDunk Savings can sometimes be manually and voluntarily downloaded from a variety of sources including savingsship.com and may hide inside third-party items.
How to remove SlamDunk Savings
- Automatically remove SlamDunk Savings - Scan for and automatically remove SlamDunk Savings and third-party malware
- Manually remove SlamDunk Savings - Remove/Uninstall SlamDunk Savings software and third-party malware (if necessary)
1. Automatic SlamDunk Savings removal
Use the instructions below to automatically remove SlamDunk Savings adware and third-party malware, as well as automatically remove unwanted search engines from your installed internet browsers.
1. Install the free or paid version of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.
2. Once Malwarebytes is installed, run the program. If you are using the free version of Malwarebytes you will be prompted to update the database, make sure to do so.
3. On the first tab labeled “Scanner” select the Perform full scan option and click the Scan button to perform a full system scan. Malwarebytes will automatically detect malware infecting the computer system.
4. Once the malware scan is complete, Malwarebytes may prompt a notice stating malicious objects were detected. Select the malicious objects and click the Remove Selected button to completely remove the malicious files from your computer (the image below shows a file that is NOT selected) or click the Delete button to remove quarantined files.
CCleaner can be used to automatically repair internet browser settings startup up settings, and uninstall SlamDunk Savings adware and associated third-party software.
1. Install the free or paid version of CCleaner by Piriform.
2. Once installed, open the program and navigate to Cleaner > Windows/Applications and click the Analyze button. Afterwards, click the Run Cleaner button on the bottom right of the program interface.
3. Next, navigate to Tools > Startup and search through each tab starting from windows, internet explorer, etc., all the way to Content Menu, for additional suspicious entries and click Disable and Delete once anything is found.
4. To automatically uninstall SlamDunk Savings and other unwanted programs, navigate to the Uninstall tab and search for SlamDunk Savings, etc. in the list of installed programs. Uninstall the unwanted software as selected by clicking the Run Uninstaller button.
2. Manual SlamDunk Savings removal
Use the instructions below to manually uninstall Slam Dunk Savings adware and third-party software using Microsoft Windows removal procedures.
How to uninstall SlamDunk Savings
1. Access Windows Start Menu and navigate to the Control Panel.
2. Click Uninstall a program or Add and remove a program.
3. In the list of installed programs search for SlamDunk Savings and other potentially unwanted software. Once the program is located, double click the unwanted program(s) or highlight them in the list and click the Uninstall button.
How to remove SlamDunk Savings add-ons and extensions
Use the instructions to remove SlamDunk Savings add-ons, extensions, plug-ins, and toolbars. Please note, it may be necessary to remove multiple third-party items.
1. Click on the Customize icon (wrench or 3 bar icon) next to the address bar and navigate to Tools > Extensions.
2. Search for the SlamDunk Savings extension and remove it by clicking the trashcan icon next to them.
1. Type Ctrl+Shift+A.
2. On the Extensions and Plugin search for the SlamDunk Savings add-on and remove it.
Microsoft Internet Explorer
1. Click Tools and select Manage add-ons.
2. On the Toolbars and Extensions tab search for the SlamDunk Savings add-on and remove it if located.