How to remove ShoppingSidekick (Shopping Sidekick) – Virus Removal Instructions
ShoppingSidekick (Shopping Sidekick)
The ShoppingSidekick virus (also found as ShoppingSidekick Coupons, ShoppingSidekick Deals, Shopping Sidekick virus; though not technically a computer virus) is potential malware categorized as adware and a browser hijacker that installs to a Microsoft Windows computer system and attaches to popular Internet Browsers including Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, and Microsoft Internet Explorer as a browser add-on, browser helper object (BHO), and extension with or without user consent. In turn, ShoppingSidekick displays unwanted pop-up advertisements, drop-down advertisements, pop-under, and banner advertisements that may display targeted coupons relative to the currently viewed webpage.
Once ShoppingSidekick malware is installed, it will begin to change existing internet browser settings and displays unwanted advertisements, as well as a pop-up tab that displays a numerical quantity of coupons. Once this tab is clicked a drop down menu (pictured above) will appear with a list of deals and offers.
ShoppingSidekick may even display banner, skyscraper, and other common advertisements in replace of legitimate adverts on reputable websites. These advertisements can often be identified by text that says Ads not by this site.
Shopping Sidekick adware and third-party malware will change Microsoft Windows start-up settings and internet browser settings. Furthermore unwanted applications used to promote ShoppingSidekick pop-ups may invade a user’s privacy by collecting and distributing sensitive user information to third-parties without direct consent.
ShoppingSidekick and associated third-party malware has been reported to submit collected user information to third-party marketing and mailing lists. Some users have reported excessive email spam, junk mail, and have even complained of telephone calls from telemarketers concerning their browsing activity and history.
The ShoppingSidekick add-on and extension has permission to access your data on all websites, read and modify your bookmarks, and access your tabs and browsing activity.
After the ShoppingSidekick add-on or extension is removed from Google Chrome, or other internet browsers, ShoppingSidekick may continue to display unwanted advertisements. If this is the case you will need to uninstall ShoppingSidekick software from Window’s Control Panel.
How does ShoppingSidekick malware get onto a computer?
ShoppingSidekick primarily bundles with developers and distributors of freeware, shareware, online games available on websites such as download.com. In some cases users are given the opportunity to accept or decline an offer to install ShoppingSidekick adware; however, the request to decline the offer to install the item is often ignored or presented in a confusing manner.
ShoppingSidekick adware can also be manually and voluntarily downloaded from a variety of sources including shopping-sidekick.com.
The unwanted adware platform may also hide inside third-party software and can be contracted from suspicious advertisements, email spam, torrents, etc.
How to remove ShoppingSidekick adware
- Automatically remove ShoppingSidekick – Scan for and automatically remove ShoppingSidekick and third-party malware
- Manually remove ShoppingSidekick – Remove/Uninstall ShoppingSidekick software and third-party malware (if necessary)
1. Automatic ShoppingSidekick removal
Use the instructions below to automatically remove ShoppingSidekick adware and third-party malware, as well as automatically remove unwanted search engines from your installed internet browsers.
1. Install the free or paid version of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.
2. Once Malwarebytes is installed, run the program. If you are using the free version of Malwarebytes you will be prompted to update the database, make sure to do so.
3. On the first tab labeled “Scanner” select the Perform full scan option and click the Scan button to perform a full system scan. Malwarebytes will automatically detect malware infecting the computer system.
4. Once the malware scan is complete, Malwarebytes may prompt a notice stating malicious objects were detected. Select the malicious objects and click the Remove Selected button to completely remove the malicious files from your computer (the image below shows a file that is NOT selected) or click the Delete button to remove quarantined files.
CCleaner can be used to automatically repair internet browser settings startup up settings, and uninstall ShoppingSidekick adware and associated third-party software.
1. Install the free or paid version of CCleaner by Piriform.
2. Once installed, open the program and navigate to Cleaner > Windows/Applications and click the Analyze button. Afterwards, click the Run Cleaner button on the bottom right of the program interface.
3. Next, navigate to Tools > Startup and search through each tab starting from windows, internet explorer, etc., all the way to Content Menu, for additional suspicious entries and click Disable and Delete once anything is found.
4. To automatically uninstall ShoppingSidekick and other unwanted programs, navigate to the Uninstall tab and search for ShoppingSidekick, etc. in the list of installed programs. Uninstall the unwanted software as selected by clicking the Run Uninstaller button.
2. Manual ShoppingSidekick removal
Use the instructions below to manually uninstall ShoppingSidekick adware and third-party software using Microsoft Windows removal procedures.
How to uninstall ShoppingSidekick
1. Access Windows Start Menu and navigate to the Control Panel.
2. Click Uninstall a program or Add and remove a program.
3. In the list of installed programs search for ShoppingSidekick and other potentially unwanted software. Once the adware program is located, double click the unwanted program(s) or highlight them in the list and click the Uninstall button. Keep in mind that ShoppingSidekick may use a different title name.
How to remove ShoppingSidekick add-ons and extensions
Use the instructions to remove ShoppingSidekick add-ons, extensions, plug-ins, and toolbars. Please note, it may be necessary to remove multiple third-party items.
1. Click on the Customize icon (wrench or 3 bar icon) next to the address bar and navigate to Tools > Extensions.
2. Search for the ShoppingSidekick extension and remove it by clicking the trashcan icon next to them.
1. Type Ctrl+Shift+A.
2. On the Extensions and Plugin search for the ShoppingSidekick add-on and remove it.
Microsoft Internet Explorer
1. Click Tools and select Manage add-ons.
2. On the Toolbars and Extensions tab search for the ShoppingSidekick add-on and remove it if located.