How To Remove The SelectionLinks Virus – Uninstall Selection Links Browser Hijacker (Adware Removal)
What is Selection Links (SelectionLinks)?
SelectionLinks, also referred to as Selection Links or the SelectionLinks virus, is malware categorized as adware that displays unwanted advertisements without permission of the computer user. SelectionLinks advertisements pop up while the internet user is browsing the internet, and may consist of in-text style advertisements (alike Text Enhance), where individual words are highlighted and hyper-linked to an advertisement or option menu (dropdown), or Selection Links may display pop-up advertisements and multi-sized banner advertisements, that often have links to the Selection Links website that state About this, click to continue by Selection Links, Selection Download, Fetch anchor links, Fetch text links, etc.
SelectionLinks malware installs to computer systems and attaches to popular internet browsers including Chrome, Firefox, and Internet Explorer as an extension, add-on, and browser helper object, often using the alias Selection Links toolbar, etc. Though SelectionLinks malware may install as a standalone application, adware platforms like SelectionLinks frequently bundle with third party products, or inside a third-party browser attachment. It has been noted that removing a third-party browser attachment and program like Certified Toolbar or Yontoo has stopped SelectionLinks advertisements from appearing.
This article includes free instructions to remove the Selection Links virus and additional malware.
Selection Links Adware: Dangers & Symptoms
- Even though SelectionLinks can be voluntarily downloaded as an add-on and extension for popular internet browsers, SelectionLinks entraps users to unethical terms.
- SelectionLinks infect a computer without detection, often alongside third-party products, including browser attachments. Furthermore, if SelectionLinks is on your computer system, or if you are noticing SelectionLinks ads pop up, your computer system is at risk of installments of additional malware, including adware, browser hijackers, and spyware.
- SelectionLinks adware and similar advertising platforms are dangerous for computer users for reasons concerning cyber criminal activity, involving credit theft, extortion, and identity theft, as well as for the invasion of privacy, unethical marketing tactics, and entrapment. An adware infection can ultimately cause a computer system and/or internet browser to become sluggish, laggy, and lose complete functionality altogether.
How does Selection Links infect a computer system?
As previously stated, Selection Links can be voluntarily installed from a variety of sources, but most likely bundles with third party programs and downloadable content, including freeware, shareware, torrents, and codecs without direct permission of the computer owner.
How to remove the SelectionLinks virus
- Automatic removal (Removal software, Cleaner)
- Manual removal and repair (Manually remove SelectionLinks adware)
1. Automatic removal
Use the instructions below to automatically remove SelectionLinks and third-party malware, as well as automatically repair internet browser settings if needed.
1. Install the free or paid version of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware software.
2. Once Malwarebytes is installed, open the program. If you are using the free version of Malwarebytes you will be prompted to update the database, please do so.
3. On the first tab labeled “Scanner” select the Perform full scan option and click the Scan button to perform a full system scan. Malwarebytes will automatically detect SelectionLinks malware (SelectionLinks adware) and additional malware infecting the computer system.
4. Once the scan is over, Malwarebytes will prompt a notice stating malicious objects were detected. Select the malicious objects and click the Remove Selected button to completely remove the malicious files from your computer (the image below shows a file that is NOT selected).
CCleaner can be used to automatically repair internet browser settings, start-up settings, or troubleshoot SelectionLinks malware removal/uninstall issues.
1. Install the free or paid version of CCleaner by Piriform.
2. Navigate to Cleaner > Windows/Applications and click the Analyze button. Afterwards, click the Run Cleaner button on the bottom right of the program interface.
3. Next, navigate to Tools > Startup and search through each tab starting from windows, internet explorer, etc., all the way to Content Menu, for additional suspicious entries and click Disable and Delete once anything is found.
4. To automatically uninstall unwanted software, navigate to the Uninstall tab.
2. Manual removal
Use the instructions below to manually uninstall SelectionLinks and remove the SelectionLinks add-on and extension using generic procedures.
Please note, SelectionLinks often bundles with third-party programs and browser attachments, and removing these items may cause SelectionLinks advertisements to stop.
How to uninstall SelectionLinks adware
1. Access Windows Start Menu and navigate to the Control Panel.
2. Click Uninstall a program or Add and remove a program.
3. In the list of installed programs, search for SelectionLinks (and suspicious third party software). To uninstall SelectionLinks, double click the program details, or highlight Deal Boat in the list and click Uninstall.
How to remove SelectionLinks browser attachment
1. Click on the Customize icon (wrench or 3 bar icon) next to the address bar and navigate to Tools > Extensions.
2. Locate the SelectionLinks extension and remove it by clicking the trashcan icon next to them.
3. Follow any Uninstall instructions.
1. Type Ctrl+Shift+A.
2. On the Extensions and Plugin search for the SelectionLinks add-on and remove it.
Microsoft Internet Explorer
1. Click Tools and select Manage add-ons.
2. On the Toolbars and Extensions tab search for the SelectionLinks add-on and remove it if located.