How to remove SearchME Toolbar – Removal Instructions
SearchME Toolbar virus
SearchME Toolbar (also found as SearchME virus; though not technically a computer virus) is malware categorized as a browser hijacker that primarily bundles with third-party software without consent and causes many problems for computer users. SearchME Toolbar installs to Microsoft Windows computer systems and attaches to popular internet browsers including Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, and Microsoft Internet Explorer as a browser add-on, browser helper object (BHO), and extension. In turn, SearchME Toolbar changes Microsoft Windows Operating System settings as well as Internet Browser settings including the homepage, managed, provided, and default search engine, causing unwanted browser redirects to SearchME websites (searchme.com) as well as yahoo.com.
Once in stalled SearchME Toolbar begins to transform settings. SearchME Toolbar will also cause internet browsers to start up on unwanted websites including yahoo.com when users open a new browser window or tab.
SearchME Toolbar and relating items may also be the culprit of unwanted advertisements, including pop-up ads, banner ads, in-text ads, and more. Removing SearchME Toolbar often haults unwanted advertisements from appearing without user consent.
The SearchME hijacker and similar forms of malware raise many concerns relating to the invasion of privacy and privacy crimes. If SearchME Toolbar is installed, SearchME Toolbar and third-party items may collect and distribute sensitive user information; especially information users manually submit including full names, usernames, passwords, email addresses, telephone numbers, and home addresses. SearchME Toolbar may even track your complete computer and internet activity. The information collected may be used to submit users to marketing and mailing lists without their direct consent or knowledge. Victims may receive unwanted email spam, junk mail, and telephone calls from telemarketers relative to recent internet browsing activities.
On a more severe scale, SearchME Toolbar and similar browser hijacker malware infections put users at risk of falling victim to cyber crimes such as credit theft, extortion, and identity theft.
How does SearchME Toolbar malware get onto a computer?
SearchME Toolbar malware often bundles with third-party downloadable content including freeware and shareware available from download.com. During the installation process of third-party software users may be given the opportunity to accept or decline an offer to install SearchME Toolbar and change browser settings. THe offer often states “Make your selection to continue… Get one click access to Facebook, Google+, Amazon, ebay, Radio Beta and others! Search the web with Yahoo! from anywhere on the net! THe SearchMe toolbar allows you to navigate to all your favorite intenret destinations… Decline, Close, Accept.”
Though users may be given the opportunity to accept this unethical special offer from download.com the request to decline is often ignored and SearchME Toolbar is installed anyways or the offer is presented in an entirely colluding manner as the button to Accept the installment of SearchME Toolbar is located in the same location the Next button is for installing the initial third-party and wanted software. Furthermore once a victims clicks accept the user can not click back or cancel the installation.
It is recommended to avoid questionable downloads from websites such as download.com as their primary objective is to aggressively generate revenue off the confusion of their users and visitors.
SearchME Toolbar can also be contracted from various locations including advertisements, social media content, email spam, sponsored search results, and more.
How to remove SearchME Toolbar
- Automatically remove SearchME Toolbar – Scan for and automatically remove SearchME Toolbar and third-party malware
- Manually remove SearchME Toolbar – Remove/Uninstall SearchME Toolbar software and third-party malware (if necessary)
1. Automatic SearchME Toolbar removal
Use the instructions below to automatically remove SearchME Toolbar and third-party malware, as well as automatically remove unwanted search engines from your installed internet browsers.
1. Install the free or paid version of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.
2. Once Malwarebytes is installed, run the program. If you are using the free version of Malwarebytes you will be prompted to update the database, make sure to do so.
3. On the first tab labeled “Scanner” select the Perform full scan option and click the Scan button to perform a full system scan. Malwarebytes will automatically detect malware infecting the computer system.
4. Once the malware scan is complete, Malwarebytes may prompt a notice stating malicious objects were detected. Select the malicious objects and click the Remove Selected button to completely remove the malicious files from your computer (the image below shows a file that is NOT selected) or click the Delete button to remove quarantined files.
CCleaner can be used to automatically repair internet browser settings startup up settings, and uninstall SearchME Toolbar malware and associated third-party software.
1. Install the free or paid version of CCleaner by Piriform.
2. Once installed, open the program and navigate to Cleaner > Windows/Applications and click the Analyze button. Afterwards, click the Run Cleaner button on the bottom right of the program interface.
3. Next, navigate to Tools > Startup and search through each tab starting from windows, internet explorer, etc., all the way to Content Menu, for additional suspicious entries and click Disable and Delete once anything is found.
4. To automatically uninstall SearchME Toolbar and other unwanted programs, navigate to the Uninstall tab and search for SearchME Toolbar, etc. in the list of installed programs. Uninstall the unwanted software as selected by clicking the Run Uninstaller button.
2. Manual SearchME Toolbar removal
Use the instructions below to manually uninstall SearchME Toolbar malware and third-party software using Microsoft Windows removal procedures.
How to uninstall SearchME Toolbar
1. Access Windows Start Menu and navigate to the Control Panel.
2. Click Uninstall a program or Add and remove a program.
3. In the list of installed programs search for SearchME Toolbar (SearchMe Toolbar v7.9) and other potentially unwanted software. Once SearchME Toolbar malware is located, double click the unwanted program(s) or highlight them in the list and click the Uninstall button.
How to remove SearchME Toolbar add-ons and extensions
Use the instructions to remove SearchME Toolbar add-ons, extensions, plug-ins, and additional toolbars. Please note, it may be necessary to remove multiple third-party items.
1. Click on the Customize icon (wrench or 3 bar icon) next to the address bar and navigate to Tools > Extensions.
2. Search for the SearchME Toolbar extension and remove it by clicking the trashcan icon next to them.
1. Type Ctrl+Shift+A.
2. On the Extensions and Plugin search for the SearchME Toolbar add-on and remove it.
Microsoft Internet Explorer
1. Click Tools and select Manage add-ons.
2. On the Toolbars and Extensions tab search for the SearchME Toolbar add-on and remove it if located.