How to remove Search.us.com virus – Search.us Home (Removal Guide)
Search.us.com virus (Search.us Home virus)
The Search.us.com virus (also found as Search.us Home or Search.us Homepage virus; though not technically a virus) is malware categorized as a browser hijacker and spyware that primarily installs to a Microsoft Windows computer and attaches to Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, and Google Chrome as a browser add-on, browser helper object (BHO), and extension without user consent. The Search.us Home add-on and extension or item used to promote search.us.com changes internet browser settings including the home page and default browser search engine (managed, provided). In turn, this causes unwanted affected internet browsers to startup on and redirect to search.us.com and other websites.
Once software used to promote the search.us.com Search Engine is installed (such as Hotspot Shield or Search.us Home) the application will begin to transform existing internet browser settings, install additional software, and collect sensitive user information including data manually submitted online such as your name, home address, telephone number, email address, browser activity and history, and more. Search.us.com malware may also use techniques to collect purchase information or persuade victims to purchase sponsored and/or non-beneficial software.
Search.us Home has the permission to access all your data on all websites (everything you type into a website’s form, search for, etc.), read and modify your bookmarks, detect your physical location, read and modify your browsing history, access your tabs and browsing activity, manage your apps, extensions, and themes.
If software that causes your browser to redirect to search.us.com is installed on your computer and attached to your internet browser you are at higher risk of cyber crimes involving credit theft, extortion, identity theft, and others. Even though these crimes are rare, this particular category of malware leaves users at a much higher risk if the software was never introduced to the computer system.
Search.us.com displays sponsored search results and is not considered a legitimate standalone Search Engine.
How does Search.us.com malware get onto a computer?
Items used to promote the www.search.us.com redirect virus such as the Search.us Home add-on or extension, or Hotspot Shield can be manually and voluntarily installed from a variety of questionable websites including download.com. Search.us.com software or script used to transform browser settings to accommodate the search engine often bundles with suspicious third-party freeware and shareware. Some users are given the opportunity to accept or decline an offer to install Search.us Home and change their home page and search engine to the unwanted search engine; However, the user request to decline the offer is often ignored or represented in a confusing manner by the developer or distributor.
If Search.us Home malware is installed, there is likely additional third-party potential malware on your computer system. Search.us.com primarily bundles with third-party items without user consent or knowledge.
How to remove the Search.us.com virus
- Automatically remove Search.us.com - Scan for and automatically remove Search.us.com and third-party malware
- Manually remove Search.us.com - Remove/Uninstall Search.us.com software and third-party malware (if necessary)
1. Automatic Search.us.com virus removal
Use the instructions below to automatically remove Search.us Home and third-party malware, as well as automatically remove unwanted search engines from your installed internet browsers.
1. Install the free or paid version of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.
2. Once Malwarebytes is installed, run the program. If you are using the free version of Malwarebytes you will be prompted to update the database, make sure to do so.
3. On the first tab labeled “Scanner” select the Perform full scan option and click the Scan button to perform a full system scan. Malwarebytes will automatically detect malware infecting the computer system.
4. Once the malware scan is complete, Malwarebytes may prompt a notice stating malicious objects were detected. Select the malicious objects and click the Remove Selected button to completely remove the malicious files from your computer (the image below shows a file that is NOT selected) or click the Delete button to remove quarantined files.
CCleaner can be used to automatically repair internet browser settings startup up settings, and uninstall the Search.us.com hijacker and associated third-party software.
1. Install the free or paid version of CCleaner by Piriform.
2. Once installed, open the program and navigate to Cleaner > Windows/Applications and click the Analyze button. Afterwards, click the Run Cleaner button on the bottom right of the program interface.
3. Next, navigate to Tools > Startup and search through each tab starting from windows, internet explorer, etc., all the way to Content Menu, for additional suspicious entries and click Disable and Delete once anything is found.
4. To automatically uninstall Search.us Home and other unwanted programs, navigate to the Uninstall tab and search for Search.us Home, etc. in the list of installed programs. Uninstall the unwanted software as selected by clicking the Run Uninstaller button.
2. Manual Search.us.com virus removal
Use the instructions below to manually uninstall Search.us Home and third-party software using generic Microsoft Windows removal procedures.
How to uninstall Search.us Home (search.us.com)
1. Access Windows Start Menu and navigate to the Control Panel.
2. Click Uninstall a program or Add and remove a program.
3. In the list of installed programs search for Search.us Home (Search.us.com) and other potentially unwanted software. Once located, double click the unwanted programs or highlight them in the list and click the Uninstall button.
How to remove Search.us Home add-ons and extensions
Use the instructions to remove Search.us Home Toolbar add-ons, extensions, plug-ins, and additional toolbars. Please note, it may be necessary to remove different attachment titles than suggested and multiple third-party items.
1. Click on the Customize icon (wrench or 3 bar icon) next to the address bar and navigate to Tools > Extensions.
2. Search for the Search.us Home extension and remove it by clicking the trashcan icon next to them.
1. Type Ctrl+Shift+A.
2. On the Extensions and Plugin search for the Search.us Home add-on and remove it.
Microsoft Internet Explorer
1. Click Tools and select Manage add-ons.
2. On the Toolbars and Extensions tab search for the Search.us Home add-on and remove it if located.
How to remove Search.us.com Search Engine
- In Mozilla Firefox, click the small search magnify glass near the search box (not url/search field) and click “Manage Search Engines…”. Remove the www.search.us.com search engine from the list of search providers by highlighting the selections and clicking remove.
- In Microsoft Internet Explorer navigate to Tools > Manage Add Ons > Search Providers and remove the www.search.us.com search engine from the list.
- In Google Chrome, click the customize icon (wrench or 3 bars) and navigate to Settings > Manage search engines… click the X next to the www.search.us.com search engine to remove it.
Please note, If http://www.search.us.com/ is set as Google Chrome’s default search engine, add (or select) a new search engine (such as Google.com) and select the new search engine as the default search engine, then remove the unwanted search engine by clicking the X next to it.
How to remove Search.us.com Homepage
- In Mozilla Firefox navigate to Tools > Options or click Firefox in the top left corner and click Options > Options. Under the General tab remove www.search.us.com from the “Home Page:” field and replace it with your preferred home page URL.
- In Microsoft Internet Explorer navigate to Tools >Internet Options. Remove www.search.us.com from the Home Page field and replace it with your preferred URL.
- In Google Chrome click the customize icon (wrench or 3 bars) and navigate to Settings.Click “Set pages” under the On startup option. Remove www.search.us.com and replace it with your preferred URL.