Savings Hero (SavingsHero)
Savings Hero, sometimes referred to as the Savings Hero virus is malware categorized as adware and a browser hijacker that primarily installs as or bundled with an add-on, browser helper object, and extension on Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, and Microsoft Internet Explorer without user consent, alters existing internet browser settings, and displays unwanted advertisements (among causing other privacy relating issues). Savings Hero adware often displays pop-up advertisements, pop-under advertisements, and especially coupon and deal based advertisements while infected users are browsing the internet. Savings Hero advertisements may appear when visiting eCommerce and deal based websites such as Amazon, ebay, and Kayak, and often contain “featured deals and events” that appear in a drop down menu on the right side of the browser window.
If Savings Hero malware is installed, the unwanted application may launch every time Windows is started, collect user information, and display advertisements. Savings Hero advertisements may not be malicious, though some have reported that advertisements generated by Savings Hero adware may contain malicious payloads or promote third-party malware including rogue Microsoft Windows security software. Savings Hero only displays sponsored advertisements and deals. The coupons displayed by this particular adware and other similar forms of malware such as Coupon Drop Down are often non-beneficial due to objectively being placed to generate revenue for Savings Hero and associated third-parties.
Some victims of Savings Hero malware have reported unwanted browser start-ups and redirects to suspicious websites such as Conduit Search. If this is the case, the advertisement serving platform may have bundled alongside or inside a third-party item used to corrupt internet browser settings and options.
Savings Hero, associated third-party malware, and similar computer viruses (though SavingsHero is not technically a virus) are considerably dangerous for reasons concerning the invasion of privacy, entrapment, and cyber crimes involving credit theft, extortion, and identity theft. Most victims of malware similar to this particular application have reported excessive email spam, junk mail, and telephone calls from telemarketers concerning the victims recent computing and browsing history. It can be concluded that Savings Hero and third-party software may collect and distribute user information and entrap victims to unethical permissions which allow them to do so.
How does Savings Hero adware infect a computer?
Savings Hero primarily installs alongside third-party downloadable content such as freeware and shareware. Third-parties who wish to generate income off the confusion, misfortunes, and disgust of internet users can choose to partner and bundle with the advertisement serving platform in order to monetize free products and services. In some cases removing recently installed software from websites such as download.com have removed the unwanted advertisements.
Savings Hero can also be manually and voluntarily installed from savings-hero.com and other websites, though at the time of our investigation the link to download Savings Hero was broken. This may be because Savings-Hero.com may attempt to appear like a legitimate website with a legitimate tool in order to gain the trust of internet users. This can be defined as social engineering.
How to remove the Savings Hero virus
- Automatically remove Savings Hero malware – Scan for and automatically remove Savings Hero and third-party malware
- Manually remove Savings Hero – Remove/Uninstall Savings Hero software and third-party malware
1. Automatic Savings Hero removal
Use the instructions below to automatically remove the Savings Hero browser hijacker and third-party malware, as well as automatically remove unwanted search engines from your internet browsers.
1. Install the free or paid version of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.
2. Once Malwarebytes is installed, run the program. If you are using the free version of Malwarebytes you will be prompted to update the database, make sure to do so.
3. On the first tab labeled “Scanner” select the Perform full scan option and click the Scan button to perform a full system scan. Malwarebytes will automatically detect malware infecting the computer system.
4. Once the malware scan is complete, Malwarebytes may prompt a notice stating malicious objects were detected. Select the malicious objects and click the Remove Selected button to completely remove the malicious files from your computer (the image below shows a file that is NOT selected) or click the Delete button to remove quarantined files.
CCleaner can be used to automatically repair internet browser settings startup up settings, and uninstall Savings Hero and associated third-party software.
1. Install the free or paid version of CCleaner by Piriform.
2. Once installed, open the program and navigate to Cleaner > Windows/Applications and click the Analyze button. Afterwards, click the Run Cleaner button on the bottom right of the program interface.
3. Next, navigate to Tools > Startup and search through each tab starting from windows, internet explorer, etc., all the way to Content Menu, for additional suspicious entries and click Disable and Delete once anything is found.
4. To automatically uninstall Savings Hero and other unwanted programs, navigate to the Uninstall tab and search for Savings Hero, etc. in the list of installed programs. Uninstall the unwanted software as selected by clicking the Run Uninstaller button.
2. Manual Savings Hero removal
Use the instructions below to manually uninstall Savings Hero and third-party software using generic Microsoft Windows removal procedures.
How to uninstall Savings Hero
1. Access Windows Start Menu and navigate to the Control Panel.
2. Click Uninstall a program or Add and remove a program.
3. In the list of installed programs search for Savings Hero (SavingsHero) and other potentially unwanted software. Once located, double click the unwanted programs or highlight them in the list and click the Uninstall button.
How to remove Savings Hero add-ons and extensions
Use the instructions to remove Savings Hero add-ons, extensions, plug-ins, and toolbars. Please note, it may be necessary to remove multiple third-party items.
1. Click on the Customize icon (wrench or 3 bar icon) next to the address bar and navigate to Tools > Extensions.
2. Search for the Savings Hero extension and remove it by clicking the trashcan icon next to them.
1. Type Ctrl+Shift+A.
2. On the Extensions and Plugin search for the Savings Hero add-on and remove it.
Microsoft Internet Explorer
1. Click Tools and select Manage add-ons.
2. On the Toolbars and Extensions tab search for the Savings Hero add-on and remove it if located.